Proven Daily Driver Turbo/Injector combos

I am at sealevel and temps and humidity make a big difference. truck has stock sticks and vgt and is slow as piss on 100 percent humidity and 95 degree days. when temps get down like 40s or 50s it runs like a raped date, so i can see with larger sticks it making a even bigger difference, we are compressing air with the turbo, so denser air would def be even more pronounced with more fuel because you would need a lot more air to clean it up!

I am at sealevel and temps and humidity make a big difference. truck has stock sticks and vgt and is slow as piss on 100 percent humidity and 95 degree days. when temps get down like 40s or 50s it runs like a raped date, so i can see with larger sticks it making a even bigger difference, we are compressing air with the turbo, so denser air would def be even more pronounced with more fuel because you would need a lot more air to clean it up!

Yes, but your actual programming is directly based on sensor input, such as EOT. It could very easily be the case that I could take your truck on a 100 deg day, replace your EOT sensor with a pot and sit in the passenger's seat and crank the pot to what equates to a lower EOT reading and give you the same result.

I don't know that to be the case, but it is damn sure possible. And given some of the tuning I have seen in the past, highly likely.

I also admited in my last that I calculated a 19% increase in mass airflow going from 90 degrees ambient to 0. That is substantial. My only comment was to say that I've never seen tailpipe smoke change due to weather. One thing to note though is that most all of the tables I'm aware of that relate EOT to anything have been nullified. I think something like that is exadurating your results.

That or the thinner oil is actually increasing the injector flow, or something similar.

And I'm not meaning to screw this thread up. So I will gladly leave it be if that's what's going to happen. I was just curious when I initially read about smoke vs season.

Can you guys specify who's 190s you are talking about? As we all know, one guys 190 is another guys 340 LOL Thanks!

We have huge temperature differences where I live, 75 one day to 0 the next or even the same day at 6000ft elevation. I can guarantee you there is a huge difference in driving in the colder weather with denser air. Turbos spool faster and way less smoke.

:ford:
Nope. Air temp change from summer to winter is a joke. If there is a notable change is likely has a lot more to do with an EOT sensor, or some other sensor than anything to do with the actual air temp itself making a truck smoke.

Sounds like you guys might have some serious EOT based Timing/ICP/Pw going on.

That or the oil getting hotter/thinner in the summer is changing the injector function that much.

you have no idea, maybe you should drive your truck somewhere cooler and you'll see how air temp affects 6 leakers, dodges aren't affected as bad, but 6 leakers run like two totally different aniimals in lower elevation and lower outside temps:nail::kick:
:ford::wrong::bang:hehe::snoop::stab::ft:$.02$.02$.02$.02*nx*:eek:wned:

you have no idea, maybe you should drive your truck somewhere cooler and you'll see how air temp affects 6 leakers, dodges aren't affected as bad, but 6 leakers run like two totally different aniimals in lower elevation and lower outside temps:nail::kick:

X2 Can we now get back to the orignal question. :thankyou2:

how about guys who have actual experiance with after market injectors and turbos post there results and not guys who have read something from another site and post it here

I've got 155cc sticks and my stock '03 turbo and love it! I am upgrading to a set of 185cc-190cc sticks and a 64mm turbo hopefully by next year at this time if money allows.

I say if you want a good DD and still be able to tow, stick with your stock charger and some 155cc sticks.

-French

"Dodges aren't affected as bad". And apparently neither is my 7.3 with most temp sensor trims nullified. Meaning that it's obviously NOT actually based on IAT, otherwise all of these engines should respond similarly. The fact that you guys are noting some serious swings in the way the truck's respond/drive/smoke, above and beyond what you would expect for a cummins or other light diesel, means you have something ELSE going on, as I initially suspected.

I brought it up, because if you guys are seeing this kind of swing with IAT, then you might just be seeing an overcompensation by the PCM for various changes to temp. EOT likely being the main culprit, although I can't say for sure.

Point being..... if this is the case, then you could fix it, and the truck would run like it does when it's cold out all the time.

Go unplug your EOT, IAT and MAT sensors and run around with them in default. See if 99.9999% of this doesn't just magically go away.

Now if consistent operation doesn't seem important to you all, then disregard what I'm saying. I think it's damn important, but if you all don't think so, then I'll drop it. Like I said, I'm don't want to mess up the thread, this just seems incredibly important to the topic IMO.

Everyone seems to forget about the charge air cooler and increased heat soak at elevated temps also.

For the original topic I loved the Elite VGT-SS on the street. Just don't think tuning will get over a 200 injector even semi clean on the street.

I too notice a huge difference in performance in the winter. We use "assumed temperature" takepffs in the airplanes nearly every leg. Basically we fool the engine into thinking that instead of it being 15 deg C its actually 47 or 62 or whatever higher number. That derates our thrust, and saves fuel and engine wear. It is all based upon the max amount of power for a given temperature. You also have to take into account "density altitude" with the cold as well. If your at sea level and 59 deg in the summer, then he temp drops to 0, you are getting the density of well below sea level air.

Proven setup Hypermax 190's Bwd Billett 71. I have tried somewhere around 14 turbo's this year including a couple varations in twins. The twins are deffinetly the cats meow. But as far as a single I have never had a turbo spool as easy as this 71. Light towing is possiable and daily driving is a blast. Also was daily driving w/ a 76 Billet w/ no problem. Little lag but nothing real bad. These are not evan the BB versions just the Journal bearing. Also I am currently running 165 Hypermax injectors because the 190's are being repaired, Spool up is still nice and towing has gotten much cooler. I have had Casserly 225's, sold some Idustrial injectors to a customer but in my opion the Hypermax injectors seem to be the best to me.

rcd 66/71 turbo and rcd 225mm injectors and other internal parts and it runs bad a**.

Nope. Air temp change from summer to winter is a joke. If there is a notable change is likely has a lot more to do with an EOT sensor, or some other sensor than anything to do with the actual air temp itself making a truck smoke.

Sounds like you guys might have some serious EOT based Timing/ICP/Pw going on.

That or the oil getting hotter/thinner in the summer is changing the injector function that much.

you've got to be ****ing kidding me... :umno:

amazing, just amazing... temp has no effect?!?!? never mind the ambient air going into the turbo, consider how much more effective the intercooler is on top of that!

if you've never noticed a difference between the dead of summer and dead of winter on a turbo diesel's performance, you must be driving a dog of a 7.3 :rolleyes:

Jury is still out on the VGT-SS and DDP 90hp injectors. Seems to like "old" tunes better than my "new" ones. Didn't notice much of a difference over the stock 03 with the same injectors. Mileage did go up with the DDP's though. So as I see it , -40 + 1( foot of snow)=more HP !

you've got to be ****ing kidding me... :umno:

amazing, just amazing... temp has no effect?!?!? never mind the ambient air going into the turbo, consider how much more effective the intercooler is on top of that!

if you've never noticed a difference between the dead of summer and dead of winter on a turbo diesel's performance, you must be driving a dog of a 7.3 :rolleyes:

So you would expect a truck that was clean as a whistle in the winter to be rolling coal in the summer?

When people are talking about choosing injectors based on the season due to smoke output you've got a problem Houston.

I would bet you that 99.9% of what these 6oh guys are seeing is PCM related. Nobody else seems to think so though, so I'll leave you guys be.

All my mechanical injection equipment smokes much more on a 95* day than it does on a 40* day. The new common rail engines do it less but still have more smoke output. But let a turbocharged/inter-cooled engine idle in that heat and get heat soaked and they pour smoke coming off idle.

So you would expect a truck that was clean as a whistle in the winter to be rolling coal in the summer?

When people are talking about choosing injectors based on the season due to smoke output you've got a problem Houston.

I would bet you that 99.9% of what these 6oh guys are seeing is PCM related. Nobody else seems to think so though, so I'll leave you guys be.

some people don't like a ton of smoke just driving around...

my 12v's don't have any computer control, and you can bet they haze and smoke more when it's 100* F and 90% humidity than when it's 50* F and 25% humidity...

as does my 06... as does any turbo diesel.

it's not the difference between whistle clean and "roaling coal", but if someone doesn't like driving around hazing and smoking, it's something to consider

Im working on making a list of "proven to work" combos. Proven meaning manageable on the street with fairly low smoke etc. I know this has been discussed a little in the past, but the 6.0 has come a long way, and there are more available options now. Plus, the 6.0 section has been pretty quiet lately, so lets discuss!

For example: Beans Turbo/Casserly 190s

I know this combo works. I have personally driven a truck with this combo and a balls out race tune. Spools slightly slower than stock, and the smoke is very tame. We pulled Deranged from Texas to Bowling Green Kentucky with this combo and a tow tune with zero issues.

Also: Stock Charger/RCD 155s

I have heard a few reviews saying that these are the perfect sticks for a stock turbo. Very low smoke, and a good bump in power. Spools like stock obviously. Tows just fine with a tow tune.

So let's hear what you guys have to say!

Used to run the Beans(VGT-40)/Cass 190 combo and it was pretty good, but Elite's stage 2's and SSX kick the crap out of that combo every day of the week for a little more coin if anyone cares.