Proven Daily Driver Turbo/Injector combos

Used to run the Beans(VGT-40)/Cass 190 combo and it was pretty good, but Elite's stage 2's and SSX kick the crap out of that combo every day of the week for a little more coin if anyone cares.

I also care. I'm following this closely due to fact of considering upgrades.....:woohoo:

:Cheer:

Can 155cc rcds clean up well with the factory turbo? i have stock gears (3.73) and 40s. i plan to regear for mileage but i would like to get some sticks that wont kill my mpg until i do. I was thinking get 190 cc injectors and then getting a turbo a few months later, but I am thinking with these heavy tires the truck will be loaded down too much to bother swapping out the vgt..... Anybody have experience with bigger sticks doing towing or big tires with the stock vgt? better to s wap vgt out?

I am at sealevel and temps and humidity make a big difference. truck has stock sticks and vgt and is slow as piss on 100 percent humidity and 95 degree days. when temps get down like 40s or 50s it runs like a raped date, so i can see with larger sticks it making a even bigger difference, we are compressing air with the turbo, so denser air would def be even more pronounced with more fuel because you would need a lot more air to clean it up!

No one noticed this part? No means no man...

Proven setup Hypermax 190's Bwd Billett 71. I have tried somewhere around 14 turbo's this year including a couple varations in twins. The twins are deffinetly the cats meow. But as far as a single I have never had a turbo spool as easy as this 71. Light towing is possiable and daily driving is a blast. Also was daily driving w/ a 76 Billet w/ no problem. Little lag but nothing real bad. These are not evan the BB versions just the Journal bearing. Also I am currently running 165 Hypermax injectors because the 190's are being repaired, Spool up is still nice and towing has gotten much cooler. I have had Casserly 225's, sold some Idustrial injectors to a customer but in my opion the Hypermax injectors seem to be the best to me.

Well dusty, I dont doubt you have ran that many turbos, but why??? obviously testing for mr bunting..but were they all right??? yes I believe the twins are sweet but when you are only breaking 5-550 and your dyno sheet looks like a heart rate monitor somthing is not right>? you cant tell me that 71 spools lighting fast:bs:,with 190`s Lightining fast to me would be no lag at all? was that the turbo on the truck at mendon??if it was you were not on top of that charger, im not saying I was either as well as a HEAVY sled didnt help. but I just cant believe the 71 with 190`s what ex.housing is on it??? whats the drive pressure look like? didnt she almost lock up at the end of the track that night???
Um not saying my set up is perfect for the street,but for pulling it suits me just fine$.02

Proven setup Hypermax 190's Bwd Billett 71. I have tried somewhere around 14 turbo's this year including a couple varations in twins. The twins are deffinetly the cats meow. But as far as a single I have never had a turbo spool as easy as this 71. Light towing is possiable and daily driving is a blast. Also was daily driving w/ a 76 Billet w/ no problem. Little lag but nothing real bad. These are not evan the BB versions just the Journal bearing. Also I am currently running 165 Hypermax injectors because the 190's are being repaired, Spool up is still nice and towing has gotten much cooler. I have had Casserly 225's, sold some Idustrial injectors to a customer but in my opion the Hypermax injectors seem to be the best to me.

what exactly is light towing mean? how can hypermax190s be proven if they are being repaired? little lag???? well a stock turbo has a little lag soo is it comparable to stock turbo???

Well dusty, I dont doubt you have ran that many turbos, but why??? obviously testing for mr bunting..but were they all right??? yes I believe the twins are sweet but when you are only breaking 5-550 and your dyno sheet looks like a heart rate monitor somthing is not right>? you cant tell me that 71 spools lighting fast:bs:,with 190`s Lightining fast to me would be no lag at all? was that the turbo on the truck at mendon??if it was you were not on top of that charger, im not saying I was either as well as a HEAVY sled didnt help. but I just cant believe the 71 with 190`s what ex.housing is on it??? whats the drive pressure look like? didnt she almost lock up at the end of the track that night???
Um not saying my set up is perfect for the street,but for pulling it suits me just fine$.02

You can doubt all you want but there has been that many different turbo's on my truck. I can list them all for you if you like. None of them spooled like the 71 does. They were all good turbo's but some were not as responsive as others. Come ride in it once I get the 190's back and you can tell me how you think it spools. Yes that was the turbo @ mendon. Seemed to do pretty good to me seems how it put 20 feet on your truck, w/ no blocks no lockers and wore out tires. Must of been on top of it some what. Than the next weekend towed 12000# w/ it up to beaverdam. I did have to keep it out of OD but still got the job done. Seems like a alright setup to me. Also @ the end of the track just didn't keep it running, I think you killed yours also didn't you??

what exactly is light towing mean? how can hypermax190s be proven if they are being repaired? little lag???? well a stock turbo has a little lag soo is it comparable to stock turbo???

I consider light towing like a skid loader or a bass boat. I have towed one of my wood stoves and a fork lift w/ the setup but had to keep it in drive it was like 12000k. I towed a 21 ft ranger bass boat with the 165's this weekend on the extreme street tune and had no problem @ all cruised the whole way @ 65 @ 800 degrees and had all the power I needed. I figure it weighs somewhere between 3-4k??. I really like the hypermax injectors I did need on repaired but it is not the first thing that has needed repaired on my truck. The truck gets the chit beet out of it on a daily basis. Also the 76 may been just as laggy as a stock but that seems pretty good considering the stock is a 58mm.

Lance, this is a horiable video, friend stood by a tractor the whole time, but I can't see where I was not on top of it.

I consider light towing like a skid loader or a bass boat. I have towed one of my wood stoves and a fork lift w/ the setup but had to keep it in drive it was like 12000k. I towed a 21 ft ranger bass boat with the 165's this weekend on the extreme street tune and had no problem @ all cruised the whole way @ 65 @ 800 degrees and had all the power I needed. I figure it weighs somewhere between 3-4k??. I really like the hypermax injectors I did need on repaired but it is not the first thing that has needed repaired on my truck. The truck gets the chit beet out of it on a daily basis. Also the 76 may been just as laggy as a stock but that seems pretty good considering the stock is a 58mm.

auto or manual trans, tuning, just seems a little far fetched but anything is possible i guess, any negatives?

auto or manual trans, tuning, just seems a little far fetched but anything is possible i guess, any negatives?

Auto, 2400 stall. Only inovatives tuning. The only negitive I can tell you is heavy towing is not something I would want to do everyday but other than that, street driving w/ the 71 is ausome. If i was going to tow heavy alot I would get the 62 or the 67 billett. All the driving I did w/ the 76 was w/ my custom 2.6 cover on it. I never tried it w/ a full size cover, However I liked the 76 so much I am awaiting my new one that will be duall BB w/ the full size cover than just change it when I am @ a event. Hooked to the sled the 76 rocks. I have never had many traction issues till this turbo and now I am blowing the tires off and hitting the limiter down the track. Time for some lockers and good tires.

so what is the secrete to spooling big turbos on these trucks? :blahblah1:

Lighting a charger is really easy. You use a very small turbine housing/wheel combination. A small or tight housing creates a lot of drive on the turbine wheel at low rpm because it necks down the exhaust flow. Pair that up with a small turbine wheel that doesn’t weigh as much as a larger one and you have a combination that spools quick. The down side to that is extremely high back pressure. As rpm increase, the turbine housing cannot flow enough and back pressure starts to climb. So, the larger the compressor wheel, the more air it will flow. The more air, the more exhaust there will be. Depending on the design of the system, a wastegate will be used to bypass the excessive back or drive pressure.

Auto, 2400 stall. Only inovatives tuning. The only negitive I can tell you is heavy towing is not something I would want to do everyday but other than that, street driving w/ the 71 is ausome. If i was going to tow heavy alot I would get the 62 or the 67 billett. All the driving I did w/ the 76 was w/ my custom 2.6 cover on it. I never tried it w/ a full size cover, However I liked the 76 so much I am awaiting my new one that will be duall BB w/ the full size cover than just change it when I am @ a event. Hooked to the sled the 76 rocks. I have never had many traction issues till this turbo and now I am blowing the tires off and hitting the limiter down the track. Time for some lockers and good tires.

Why are you using a 2400 stall if it lights like a factory charger? The factory stall is around 1800 rpms. Generally high stalls are for chargers that don't light very well. As far as towing, what rpm are you cruising at? There are people that say larger chargers tow fine, but that is because they have a tune that locks the truck into 4th until they are at 75 or so (keeping the rpm’s above 2000, sometimes closer to 2200).

What are the specs on the charger? Compressor wheel is a 71, turbine wheel is a ?? and what is the turbine housing? Is the turbine housing wastegated?

You had compounds, so I know you have gauges. What is the maximum boost pressure and what was the drive pressure at that boost level? (I don't care that it is 1 to 1 at 15psi)?

Lighting a charger is really easy. You use a very small turbine housing/wheel combination. A small or tight housing creates a lot of drive on the turbine wheel at low rpm because it necks down the exhaust flow. Pair that up with a small turbine wheel that doesn’t weigh as much as a larger one and you have a combination that spools quick. The down side to that is extremely high back pressure. As rpm increase, the turbine housing cannot flow enough and back pressure starts to climb. So, the larger the compressor wheel, the more air it will flow. The more air, the more exhaust there will be. Depending on the design of the system, a wastegate will be used to bypass the excessive back or drive pressure.

Why are you using a 2400 stall if it lights like a factory charger? The factory stall is around 1800 rpms. Generally high stalls are for chargers that don't light very well. As far as towing, what rpm are you cruising at? There are people that say larger chargers tow fine, but that is because they have a tune that locks the truck into 4th until they are at 75 or so (keeping the rpm’s above 2000, sometimes closer to 2200).

What are the specs on the charger? Compressor wheel is a 71, turbine wheel is a ?? and what is the turbine housing? Is the turbine housing wastegated?

You had compounds, so I know you have gauges. What is the maximum boost pressure and what was the drive pressure at that boost level? (I don't care that it is 1 to 1 at 15psi)?

Stock stalls don't work very well in 4 low @ the track. Can't hold w/ the brakes. Even w/ a stock charger. So that is why. Trying to locate a manual 6 speed right now than I will have any stall I want. That is what I said it is not good for heavy towing I had to keep it in drive so I could keep it cool. However w/ lighter loads could tow just fine locked up in od. I towed that boat just fine this weekend @ any rpm I wanted with the 165's and that was on the extreme street tune. I will have to hook to something heavier and put it on the tow tune and see how it does. It is not wastegated and it is not 1-1. The only time I could acheive 1-1 was with the twins using 2 wastegates. And I was wrong I have only had 11 turbo's on this year sorry for that. Anyhow @ max boost of about 42 psi I see around 60-62 drive. Not great but not too bad either. Be pretty easy fix w/ a gate but I am not too concerned w/ it. Seen alot worse on other setups. I am not going to give the specs, out of respect for Brian and his company. Don't want to give out all the secrets. If he wants to he can.

Sorry lance in my previous post to this quote I responded thinking that you thought I did not run that many turbo's ,but after looking over the thread I see that you said you don't doubt. I read it as you doubt I had that many turbo's. Anyhow sorry for that. Also for the dyno graph w/ the twins, I think the sloppy 225's had something to do w/ it. Tuning them was impossable, way too much fuel flowing in w/ no atomization. Also I believe the fuel was still coming in to the cylinder even after the stroke had completed. Ended up w/ alot of smoke and little power. I can make as much if not more w/ the 190's and have half the smoke as I did w/ the 225's.

Last edited:
Jury is still out on the VGT-SS and DDP 90hp injectors. Seems to like "old" tunes better than my "new" ones. Didn't notice much of a difference over the stock 03 with the same injectors. Mileage did go up with the DDP's though. So as I see it , -40 + 1( foot of snow)=more HP !

I bet if you get a different set of injectors (hypermax, elite, II, etc.) you will see a big difference. Yes I have had a set of DDP's $$$$$$ over rated garbage for a 6.0. Got a 12 Valve? Then that is where you should go for injection stuff.

My truck runs great in the fall and winter. Under 80 degrees and horrible in the summer up to 115 degrees. I even have a huge fan operated external oil cooler.:bang

Compound setups have to hurt - compressing the air that much further makes it hotter and far less dense.