pulling video, have some questions

we still have a similar problem that you all are having. fighting it all year. funny thing is it is the exact same turbo that you have (illinois ram) only running with a 3.0 cover. we put a stock 8 blade compressor wheel on (for a 480) it now screams. we run around 51-52 down track but can't quite hold it the way thru the end. thinking about 110 also

we still have a similar problem that you all are having. fighting it all year. funny thing is it is the exact same turbo that you have (illinois ram) only running with a 3.0 cover. we put a stock 8 blade compressor wheel on (for a 480) it now screams. we run around 51-52 down track but can't quite hold it the way thru the end. thinking about 110 also

10-4 i just dontwant to try a wideopen 480 and haveit run great but thenwhen i bush it down to 2.8 fell like it got castrated. it needs to be a 2.8 for a fair comparison for me.

I used to beleive that too, untill I tried a lower timing. If you drop it a little it will leave a little more fuel burning when the ex valve opens and help with the charger. That will also allow you to back the fuel down so your not drowning it like you are now.

with the head off and a dial indicator we found tdc then bolted my ati damper on and my timing pointer lined up with 190 according to the degree marks. then i turned the damper backwards to 230 which should be 40 degrees. my scheid adjustable drive gear allows for 12 degrees of change. I got lucky and the 0 pill lined up perfect. I can now go up 6 or down 6. Down 6 is where it is at in the video so 34 degrees. We do have the matco timing light kit which i gues i will have to put it on and see what it says for sure. The only way it should be off is through gear mesh when i originally backed the crank up. I have a guy that swears by watching he guesses im at 28 degrees. Can there be 6 degrees of gear mesh loss?

Put a light on it and make sure. I've seen guys be off as far as 8* or more.

I used to beleive that too, untill I tried a lower timing. If you drop it a little it will leave a little more fuel burning when the ex valve opens and help with the charger. That will also allow you to back the fuel down so your not drowning it like you are now.

tims eng. cam profile and the pump cam profile will also play a big factor in that. IMO

Time to ressurect this thread. I finally spent some time "timing" this thing. I found alot of interesting things to say the least. First of all my base timing was off 12 degrees. When i originally set it it was dead on. After tearing the motor down and putting it back together, i was off 12 degrees through play in the damper bolts and the movement of my tdc indicator. Of course i didnt know that at first but i did find that out.

First thing i did was check it right where it was at and thats were i discovered something was goofy. According to the light, it was 17 degrees. no wonder i was having trouble maintaining rpm. I thought it would be at 34 degrees cause i set my 0 pill at 40 degrees and with the scheid adj. gear you have 12 degrees of adjustability. i split it so i had 6 up and 6 down. I thought i was 6 down so i would be at 34. .Then i switched the 6 degree pill around to make it up 6 witch i though should be 46* but it wasnt. It was 39* Now im really confused. That was 22* from what should be 12*. So i decied to swap back th the zero pill which should drop it to 33* but according to what i found it would be at 28*. IT was spot on at 28*. I want 32* so i change it one more time. I put a 2 1/2 pill in and it was 33*. It revs great. Free reved to 5600 and i let off. Now just wait for friday to hook it at the Flat Land jam in Altamont Il. Hopefully it will run good.

This is a long post but might be the answers to my own questions.LOL

I hope it does for you Tim I am gonna come over and give it a whirl also. No rule against me that I know of. If you heard one let me know.

10-4 Doug. I read the rules and it doesnt say anything about twins. As far as i know you are good to go. Last year there was some good running trucks. Darren Krueger won it i think but Fine Finish, Adam Wendt, Wiedner Farms, Joe Hill and some other good running trucks. It should be a good time again. I took the day off work to go.

I was there last year think i was 6th place and it was way to late when we got done that night.