Purple People Eater Sh*t itself today

Unless you pushed like he11 and spent hours in the same spot your head is fine.

did you use the paint stripper scotch pad thing?

Yeah, on a low speed air drill tool thingamajig.

Unless you pushed like he11 and spent hours in the same spot your head is fine.

Thats what I was hoping. Every once in a while it would throw a spark which made me think it was eating metal, but most of the time it took some effort to remove even the old copper spray from the surface.

I don't know how you would pressure test it, but I decided to run it for now. I figure it ran good before, it should run fine this time. As long as the valves seal right?

But just in case it fails, what would the effects be? Extra blowby from that valve cover?

No, I didn't notice that either when taking the pictures. I sure hope it was just the lighting. If that did somehow get sanded down, would that weaken the tip at all? I do have new ones on the way, so this one won't be in there long. Then this set is getting tested and sold.

How much are you wanting without testing ect on the sticks

Also when you clean a head / have a head off always pull injectors and deal them up. When cleaning the deck a wire wheels works well to not remove excess material. It's our standard at cummins

Also when you clean a head / have a head off always pull injectors and deal them up. When cleaning the deck a wire wheels works well to not remove excess material. It's our standard at cummins

^x2. Took the words right out of my mouth. And I don't know what everyone else thinks, but my head is cracked in fact most I've seen are. As long as it checks out id run it, just my $.02 though.

How much are you wanting without testing ect on the sticks

I'm not sure lol. I was wanting 4-500 for them. So I guess that minus cost of testing? Other than what it looks like in that picture, they worked great. Made >650 on the old single, and I want to say well over 750 with these twins but never proved it.

I like using wire wheels, but it throws so many sparks I'm scared some of them may be from head lol. I get very paranoid. These pads are very soft though, I brushed my finger with it on accident and almost didn't feel it.

^x2. Took the words right out of my mouth. And I don't know what everyone else thinks, but my head is cracked in fact most I've seen are. As long as it checks out id run it, just my $.02 though.

What exactly is checked out though? I don't know how you test the cracks without putting it on the block and doing a compression test.

We used the green 3m bristle pads on everything. Also the scotch locks (cookies)
The only thing I have seen them screw up is aluminum sealing surfaces.
I don't like wire wheels near my engine parts because of the way the wires eject.

Those cracks are typical. If I can find it, I will find the reusability guidelines. They show the same cracking

The way you test the head is pressure test with water. You have to have the jig made up. It's pretty easy. Prob have to take it to a local shop. Also the scotch brite cookies are not
Preferred because of the debris they fling off. It actually causes more failures. They easiest way to clean them is plug oil holes and clean. Then spray clean with solvent.

Cracks between valves. #5 is the worst. Ok to run?

d01d293df1f04890d047b18066240a5c.jpg

Just about any time a head is off I have it checked. Anytime a valve touches a piston the head always 100% of the time gets checked out. Need to check for bent valves, damaged/worn stem guides.

Cracks I'm not terribly worried about, but with that one I would pull the valves to see what the seats look like.

To refurbish one of those heads you can expect to spend $800-$900. And pull the injectors :blahblah1:

Last edited:
The way you test the head is pressure test with water. You have to have the jig made up. It's pretty easy. Prob have to take it to a local shop. Also the scotch brite cookies are not
Preferred because of the debris they fling off. It actually causes more failures. They easiest way to clean them is plug oil holes and clean. Then spray clean with solvent.

What he said on testing the head, my buddy has a jig I do all the heads I touch with. Most good shops can do it also, at least around me.

I pulled a 12v apart two weeks ago and found scotch brite every where, NOT the preffered way is right. If you use them make sure things are clean before reassembly, I think this kid left the pad in the motor.

No chit!! This kid didn't even have his head checked, just pulled "cleaned" installed hg and slapped it together. I'll post pictures of the bearings that are all scored from the pad, if they haven't gotten tossed yet.

5328549186206aec365785e1f89fb283.jpg
e6297973bc54c0080517f3b0c651eaee.jpg

ed8823cd82930d57131c556ee4d367c0.jpg
037360d8011394d18968df91e18d3176.jpg

If memory serves, the Cummins hatred for these stems from oil cooler repairs that result in main bearing failure on isx engines?

5328549186206aec365785e1f89fb283.jpg
e6297973bc54c0080517f3b0c651eaee.jpg

ed8823cd82930d57131c556ee4d367c0.jpg
037360d8011394d18968df91e18d3176.jpg

If memory serves, the Cummins hatred for these stems from oil cooler repairs that result in main bearing failure on isx engines?

You are correct sir. The x just has debris problems in general