Purple People Eater Sh*t itself today

I'll upload pictures later. For now, I found a rod bearing and piece of the block up by the battery.

Look for a fractured rod bolt that isn't bent. The bent one failed second

So I didn't get time to get the pan off, but managed to get the block out of the truck at least.

Converter and flexplate took some scarring from the starter pieces that flew around. Will this be ok? I can't see it being stressed at all.

IMAG0214.jpg

IMAG0213.jpg

IMAG0211.jpg

IMAG0204.jpg

IMAG0202.jpg

IMAG0201.jpg

Starter is definitely not reusable

IMAG0210.jpg

Not sure if the crank is even worth cleaning up to sell. Not really sure how much damage is too much.

IMAG0209.jpg

IMAG0208.jpg

IMAG0207.jpg

Almost split the block in half. I think the billet oreilly's fuel pump block off plate is what saved it.

IMAG0206.jpg

IMAG0200.jpg

IMAG0205.jpg

Bearing and block pieces all over under the hood.

IMAG0196.jpg

Damn sorry for your luck mike. But on the other hand, I give you the best carnage award ive seen in quite some time lol.

Hey Mike. Hopefully you'll get those rods bolts tomorrow at the latest. Also if you want to go to a solid flex plate I have some 6.7 ones for sale, I have a ton of other barely used parts too. 5.9 cranks, 24v rods...etc. Just PM me with a list and we can find a package deal that works for you.

did you figure out the cause?

Hey Mike. Hopefully you'll get those rods bolts tomorrow at the latest. Also if you want to go to a solid flex plate I have some 6.7 ones for sale, I have a ton of other barely used parts too. 5.9 cranks, 24v rods...etc. Just PM me with a list and we can find a package deal that works for you.

Didn't have time to get it apart, had to get home to the dogs. I'm thinking a wrist pin broke, allowing the rod to come loose and cut into both sides of the block like it did. I can't imagine any other way for a rod to cut as wide a path in both sides like that.

Thanks Jeff. That flex plate is laminated or something. I can't remember anymore. Better than stock lol. If it's still good to run, I'll keep running it. Whats different about the 6.7 plates?

Also, those bolts got here in OKC the next morning. Fedex decided that was too early (literally said it on the tracking number on the website) and sent them to memphis, not due to come back until wednesday. What a bunch of chit, something UPS would pull LOL It's a shame, because UPS completely sucks, what else are you supposed to do?

The 6.7 flex plate looks like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flex-plate-07-5-up-68RFE-dodge-cummins-/291014889874

It's solid in the middle and less likely to rip the center out compared to a 5.9. It's a cheap upgrade versus going to a full billet.

I wonder what the hell was going on with FedEx. I sent them from work so they will be addressed as "Hill Engineering" LOL. I was going to put Dr. Hill on them but I figured that was a stretch. :)

The 6.7 flex plate looks like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flex-plate-07-5-up-68RFE-dodge-cummins-/291014889874

It's solid in the middle and less likely to rip the center out compared to a 5.9. It's a cheap upgrade versus going to a full billet.

I wonder what the hell was going on with FedEx. I sent them from work so they will be addressed as "Hill Engineering" LOL. I was going to put Dr. Hill on them but I figured that was a stretch. :)

Dr. Hill would work. I guess I'd be like the Kevorkian of engines? Not to take anything from David of course.
I like that. If mine looks actually damaged I'll go that route for sure if they're the same dimensions.

Got the block back today. Only had to take .006 off it, so it looks like I'll be pretty close to stock compression with those non IC pistons?

If the pistons come in with those rod bolts today, I might have this thing back in and running by saturday.

Mike, these $89 Ebay SFI-rated flexplates work great, their price has come down over the years but even when they used to cost $150, they still were a great deal.

I don't know of any first-hand failures yet so I can't speak to where they break, but my race truck has enough power to twist the billet input and this SFI flexplate is still perfect!!!

Now that I think about it, I haven't heard of any flex plate failure since all the ats' broke a few years ago lol

Mike, these $89 Ebay SFI-rated flexplates work great, their price has come down over the years but even when they used to cost $150, they still were a great deal.

I don't know of any first-hand failures yet so I can't speak to where they break, but my race truck has enough power to twist the billet input and this SFI flexplate is still perfect!!!

If they're the smeding ones I'm 90% sure they are the Cat PEP, but if it's $89 shipped that's about the same as buying directly from Cat PEP

Man running 21:1 is 6.2/6.5 territory.. Lol I got told I was but to want to run 18:1 on my dmax lol

lol I was unable to find a 6.7 crank in my price range, and the shop only needed to take off .006, so I'm going to stick with stock HG. I guess I'll be pretty close to stock compression with the non ic pistons.

I think Mark Nixon had a buyer back out if you want a 6.7 crank. Not sure what his prices are... but $.02

I saw that and asked, he didn't answer yet. I'm sure it's too much for me anyways. I need to just find a guy broke down on the side of the road, and steal the crank before he comes back LOL