Putting a modern turbo on a KTA1150

CurtisEmery

Any ideas on a good place to start? It is from a 1980 Stieger Tiger ST450 articulated tractor. The original turbo is a T18A55 pretty old tech. I am not sure of the specs, the tractor is in use and I can't pull the turbo to measure it. If anyone happens to have measurements I would be greatful. I have been told that a T18A95 is a good upgrade p/n 465126-11 or an HC5A p/n 3524650. I am not looking to make a bunch more power, this is more for increased efficiecy and drivability. The tractor has a pretty steady haze of soot while under load. I was hopeing to clean up the soot and hopefully gain some hp and efficiecy with a more modern turbo design. Do you guys like something in the gt55 or gt60 range would work. 500-550hp would be the max hp required out of what ever turbo we end up going with. Thanks in advance! -Curtis

Do you think the 96mm 1.32a/r will let it breath? I think the exhaust wheel is might be larger than that on the original turbo.

Lee is correct.

317107 is the one we use to update those old T18's

Last edited:
There are guys that have trouble with the 96mm wheel breathing well enough on a 16L engine let alone a 19L engine. His current turbo should have a wheel comparable to an E trim holset.

The part number Snedge listed is for a S4T and would be the proper replacement, although I have heard from a BW engineer that it too is somewhat outdated.

There are guys that have trouble with the 96mm wheel breathing well enough on a 16L engine let alone a 19L engine. His current turbo should have a wheel comparable to an E trim holset.

The part number Snedge listed is for a S4T and would be the proper replacement, although I have heard from a BW engineer that it too is somewhat outdated.

Do you happen to know the measurement's for the etrim holset? Wondering if a gt50 or 55 would work? I would like to use a dual entry housing if possible to improve the low rpm torque.

I believe the 55 has a slightly smaller wheel, and you would have to find the proper exhaust housing. The BW listed above may have a divided housing, Snedge would know for sure, it would be nicer to have a direct bolt on.

Later K19's used HC5As. Also would something in the hx80 range be a possibility?

Constant rpm KTA19's used an HX82 with a fairly large exhaust housing. I never had one off personally I just know it was much larger housing than the HX82 on the QSX15.

Specs sheets for those turbos were reasonably easy to find with a google search, if my memory serves me correctly

A K19 with an Hx82 will do 750+hp, I doubt that much turbo would be needed but it might be doable. How many RPMs does that KTA turn? You might be able to use an Hx82 of a G-drive QSX like stated above, since they turn like 2300rpm

Yea these K19's did 750kw or about 975hp at 1800rpm and the QSX15 was 500kw. They had the same size compressor wheel which i still find interesting.

Thanks for all the replies guys! Let's keep this rolling. I think I may have found a viable option in a newer Garrett. It is gt 50 based and came off of a Detroit.

Thanks for all the replies guys! Let's keep this rolling. In my searching was steered toward a gt50 off of a Detroit that seems to fit the bill.

In comparison to the turbos listed earlier the gt50 seems kind of small. I am assuming the gt50 you are speaking of has a wastegated 1.41 divided housing. I would think that a gt55 would be better if you are wanting a garrett. Not to mention more options and availablity.

Not sure what size Detroit. And yes it has a 1.41 gated housing. The gt55 has crossed my Mind as well. I would like to utilize a divided housing g if at all possible. This thing turns a max of 2000rpm but would like to run it down on the torque peak at 14-1500rpm.

Just thinking out loud. The newer uhp turbine wheel on the gt 50 coupled with a gated 1.41 ar housing should flow close to the same as an e trim wheel 1.32 ar t18a55 no?