Putting a modern turbo on a KTA1150

From what I can tell, GT50s were used mainly in 12V2000 and 12V4000 gensets (24 and 48L @ 1800 rpm, multiple chargers) and oilfield / industrial engines (1200HP+).

Curtis I have some info on the charger you have, will try to find you a modern equivalent.

Many 14.0L S60 Detroits came with the GT4502 VNT.

From what I can tell, GT50s were used mainly in 12V2000 and 12V4000 gensets (24 and 48L @ 1800 rpm, multiple chargers) and oilfield / industrial engines (1200HP+).

Curtis I have some info on the charger you have, will try to find you a modern equivalent.

Many 14.0L S60 Detroits came with the GT4502 VNT.

Good info. Let me know what you find out. The info I can gather the better.

No, the E trim wheel measures around 127/96mm and I believe the GT50 is 100/89mm. The thing you need to remember is that the GT50 is used on some 15L cat engines, in comparison most of the newer 18L cats use a GT55 or a S500 based turbo.

Last edited:
I am struggling to make heads or tales of the turbine side of what you have.

The compressor looks to be in the 120 lb/min range....so the S480 would be right there. The upside is, you get a divided T6 housing, which is what you want, and they're easy to find used. Put it on and run a drive pressure gauge. Don't like it, just sell it again.

Most GT50s and their forerunners have open volutes.

No, the E trim wheel measures around 127/96mm and I believe the GT50 is 100/89mm. The thing you need to remember is that the GT50 is used on some 15L cat engines, in comparison most of the newer 18L cats use a GT55 or a S500 based turbo.

Thanks for the imput. Do you have an compressor specs for these gt55s cat is using? And are there divided turbine housings available?

We have a few Kodiak blowers at work with 750 horse QSK19s, they are running HX82s.

Never looked up the specs on the charger that comes on the C18 cat that is in my MT865 but I'd try it. (Accert single waste gated charger) Lots of power off idle, so much in fact they had to come out with a tune for the guys pulling monster air drills to pop it out of gear if you tryed to take off at to low of rpms or too much gear. (Anoying as all hell and I'm going to try to go back)

I probably wouldn't go to big on housing if it's a tractor, we like to gear up and idle down to get into the better part of the BSFC curve.

Last edited:
Never looked up the specs on the charger that comes on the C18 cat that is in my MT865 but I'd try it. (Accert single waste gated charger) Lots of power off idle, so much in fact they had to come out with a tune for the guys pulling monster air drills to pop it out of gear if you tryed to take off at to low of rpms or too much gear. (Anoying as all hell and I'm going to try to go back)

I probably wouldn't go to big on housing if it's a tractor, we like to gear up and idle down to get into the better part of the BSFC curve.

I can't find specs on them either, but I wanting to say it is a GT5518 with a wastegated housing.

Thanks guys. Thats kind of why i was thinking the gt50 might do well for keeping the tractor throttled back. Keep the info coming this has been a great help.

There is a GT55 with an 83/123mm compressor wheel that uses a T6 1.18AR wastegated housing, I would be more inclined to recommend it if you had larger goals.

We are not looking to turn up the fuel or rpm. Just looking to make a better mouse trap. Thanks for your input Weston it has been a great help! Do you happen to have a part number for this gt55 for future referance?

There is a GT55 with an 83/123mm compressor wheel that uses a T6 1.18AR wastegated housing, I would be more inclined to recommend it if you had larger goals.

Are you thinking it has too much compressor wheel for what he is looking for?

Are you thinking it has too much compressor wheel for what he is looking for?

I am researching this option. The c18 JSP speaks of is around 525hp, this is pretty close to our goal with the KTA. It might just be the charger we need.

The cat part number for the 525hp turbo is 354-7243, and list for $4937 dollars from CAT. I can't find any cross to a garrett part number.

I still think you would be time and money ahead by using the turbo Snedge listed.

I still think you would be time and money ahead by using the turbo Snedge listed.

Definitely!
550-600 hp is low for a 19 liter engine and I doubt full power will be made much past 1800 rpm. If I'm not mistaken Cummins now produces this same engine with a top rating of 950hp.

Definitely!
550-600 hp is low for a 19 liter engine and I doubt full power will be made much past 1800 rpm. If I'm not mistaken Cummins now produces this same engine with a top rating of 950hp.

Yep, it's now electronic, they use a HX82 with a 4"+ inducer I believe in the top form.

The thing is that when those engines were in production the turbos were pretty much the same throughout the power range, the one used on the 600 would have probably had a slightly bigger exhaust housing. The other specs would have been the same.

The large cube engines seem to make turbo selection difficult. I know that the turbo used on a 6-700hp 18L Perkins will support around 1250hp on a 16L engine. The higher HP C18 use split manifolds and run a turbo off of three cylinders on anything above 700hp.

The cat part number for the 525hp turbo is 354-7243, and list for $4937 dollars from CAT. I can't find any cross to a garrett part number.

I hear ya. I really appreciate all of your input. What started as a simple turbo swap has kind of snow balled into quite the wild goose chase lol. I figured the cat charger would cost an arm and a leg. Do the C18's use the monarch style exhaust manifold or the T6 that is already on the KTA?