Ram50

Let me know when you plan to run at Mason Dixon and I'll come up and join you guys. Its only about 1.5hrs from me.

[quoteSKYNYRD Let me know when you plan to run at Mason Dixon and I'll come up and join you guys. Its only about 1.5hrs from me.
][/quote]
55-22 will do

Hello all, I'm just setting here awaiting the re-stalled torque converter. They should have received it yesterday.

While waiting, I am debating what to do if the thing won't leave the line as hard as I want it too. Suppose I was to install some :nos:, what recommendations would you have for me. JQ has given some nozzle sizes, I was just wondering what bottle & so forth. What type of pressures are typically in these bottles? How ofter do they need filled? Of course, once it is on, I'd want to use it to it's fullest advantage. So, I'd probably spray all the way if it will take it. Most especially on those 200 & 300' mud/sand runs.

I was watching VMAX's vids and he's really got that thing singing when she leaves. If I could get to that point with my weight, we might see some daylight under those front tires. lol

Check out the ARMORY truck, that's one if the hardest launching 2wd pro street trucks I've seen

I was watching VMAX's vids and he's really got that thing singing when she leaves. If I could get to that point with my weight, we might see some daylight under those front tires. lol

You going to drag race in 2wd or 4wd? I remember reading about Chuck Samuel's old Syclone that would yard the tires with skinnies on the front in awd, then they'd go up in smoke when they hit. Pretty sweet.

If you're going with one bottle go with a 15lb bottle, -6 feed line, depending on how much you're going to be spraying, or how aggressively, you will need a progressive controller or multiple solenoids. 950psi in the bottle, you will need some sort of bottle heater to get it there. How long it lasts depends on how much you're spraying. Could be 10 passes, could be 2.

If you're going with NOS brand solenoids the cheater flows roughly an .080" jet while the pro shot flows about a .110". There is also the super big shot that flows a .156"

You going to drag race in 2wd or 4wd?

Anytime its raced on strip/street, it'll be 2wd... and no, no dark side just yet. I will if I have too. I witnessed a valve cover off a big block chevy being launched through a fiberglass hood. I checked it out after the explosion and the oil pan was ballooned along with the other valve cover. I'm not sure if he had a solenoid stuck or what. I doubt the conditions for this danger would exist in a diesel application.

Thanks rockjeep73, I would rather just have something simple I could hit and let it spray. I would prefer not having to add any controllers. Could this be accomplished by spraying pre-turbo or would the jets have to be placed near the intake plate?

Hey Cummins12Club, I did a search on youtube with no luck. You have any links???

I did some googling of that truck too with no dice, I know he's from Alberta Canada, go on YouTube and search 2012 NHRDA World Finals, it's the maroon reg cab short bed in pro street class

Great build. Love all the foreword thought and avoidance of issues. looks like its going to be a rocket once it gets going.

The ARMORY truck is the Armor Inc drag truck. But i don't remember seeing it running last year.

Thanks for the comments Nootch. This is a very nice forum to help you avoid mistakes. However, you have to listen closely and sometimes guess at the best advice. I've been rather lucky.

Converter is back in. My wife and I took 'er to town last night. It was a cool 42*. We wanted to get everything up to a good operating temp and run stuff a while before testing. I was pulled over for the first time in the truck by two of the City of Weston's finest. A couple young fellas who pulled me over for not using my turn signal. LOL Luckily, they were all smiles and looked over it in what seemed like total amazement. They questioned the MT et streets until I showed them the DOT #'s. With their approval, we proceeded on.

Once back at the house, I let the wife out and tried to boost 'er up on the trans brake. No luck. I did gain 500 rpm on the stall speed and seen up to 10 psi of boost. I tried it again on just the foot brake and the rear tires started spinning around 10psi of boost and things started happening fast. I cut the foot brake loose and shifted to high immediately leaving a very nice set of black marks for about 75'.

I stopped in front of my folks house just up the road and tried the trans brake again. To my surprise, she instantly came up on boost so I released the brake and again set the tires ablaze. I looked down at the tranny temp and she was just below 210 so I eased it back to the house. My wife said I had a nice 8" flame coming out the stack when I took off at the house. LOL

We jumped in it this morning and drove to my cousins house about 18 miles. It was 30*. He jumped in and we proceeded to a nice straight stretch about 7 miles from his house. I boosted 'er up on the foot brake and warmed up the tires. I let back off and let the tires bite and gently came into it. Just before shifting I nailed it and shifted. It felt like it was spinning the whole time and I let off as a turn was approaching. We hit it again and I let it go a ways before shifting. When I did shift, the tires spun and sideways we went. The engine is pulling very hard the whole time. I checked the recall when we got back to his house. 6000rpm was the reading.

By the way, if you can't tell, I'm excited as chit!!!!!

When my wife and I climbed back in and pulled out at the cousins house, the tranny started acting funny in first gear. It free revs up to around 2000 rpm before engaging with a jerk. For those that may be familiar, it acts like a slipper clutch. I checked the fluid and it was good. Also, the trans brake has stopped working. I'll have to give the boys at FTI a call tomorrow.

I am still questioning whether or not the 'ol girl will spool in hot-humid air and I'm building lots of tranny heat very quickly when trying to spool. I am considering compounding as I'd still like to do it all on fuel only.

So, I'm hoping a few compounding pros will jump in here and give me some advise on which small turbo to go with. With my limited knowledge, I'd guess at an S36? something and will probably have to go with an external waste gate.

Sorry I have to vids of the testing. We now have 2" of snow and climbing so the fun is over for a little while.

Last edited:
Sounds like you're getting there!! Careful with staying in it too long with flames out the stack...it melts stuff. Sorry to hear about your trans issues.

Sounds like fun

It's sounds like a pressure problem. You can check it with a gauge on the side. You need 225 to 250 at a couple thousand rpm. Also I would double check the band adjustment. When you hit the brake does it creep when you give it any throttle?

glide

A blown fuse was my trans brake problem. I replaced the 10 amp with a 15 amp and all is well. I haven't had a chance to try it again. We have over 3" of snow now and even at idle, it smokes out the house. So, I'll have to wait.

I love fast spool-up, especially when you're racing and have to lift and then get back to full power ASAP.

With that in mind, I'd still recommend an HE351cw from an 04.5 thru 07 5.9 cummins. It comes stock with a 60mm compressor and nice flowing internal gate which on my truck, has proven to flow enough to adequately control the He's shaft speed at 700 HP. My truck's larger atmosphere turbo is an HT4B 83mm, spool-up is fast:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPEvvLuRAWc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPEvvLuRAWc[/ame]

glide's no more lol

Thanks for the reply Big Blue24. I'm not all that cultured with turbos. I know I originally wanted to run the HX35/HT3b set-up and was advised not to do so. So, you mentioning the HE351, I was a little skeptic. I've read through your build and do realize your knowledge, however.

After speaking with Philip Price today, I'm gonna back some timing out of it and see what that does for spool up. He mentioned that 30* tends to stress the stock rods pretty good and I have noticed the thing kicks back on the starter when she's hot. I might fix all my problems with a little timing luck.

Speaking of luck, the glide met its demise this evening. I called Gregg at FTI and he directed me to the band adjustment. It is normally tighten to 74in/lb then back it out 3 turns. I turned mine in 4.75 turns. I backed it out the required 3 turns and took it for a drive. It acted perfect. No more slipper clutch action. I stopped at the bottom of the driveway and spooled up on the trans brake. I took it to 40lbs and cut it loose. I shifted to high and let up. When I backed up, the glide was making some bad noises. I pulled into the driveway and it was done. I have a video, thanks to Mr. Chip Heckert, and will make an attempt to get it on here tomorrow.

I went ahead and pulled the glide and mounted it up on a pallet to ship out tomorrow. The tranny fluid did not smell burnt at all, but, was polluted with gold and silver flakes. I'm hoping it was just some kind of weird part failure. I haven't even had it on the strip yet and the glide has failed me. On the trans brake, I'm thinking the trans will see the most load so maybe it won't matter when she gets hooked at the track??