Ram50

i was pondering your trans while i was driving way over the speed limit for 4 hours today. (boring road). I am sure heat won't be an issue, but at the same time for the weight and electrical consumption it would use, wouldn't it make sense to use a trans cooler and always on fan for your runs. little cooler and fan would make a big difference in heat dissipation and wouldn't add a whole bunch of parasitic loads to your machine.

Glide

Sorry to here about the problems already. That's never any fun when problems like that happen so soon. FTI builds good stuff so im sure they will get it figured out. I assume they have the wide band and drum in the tranny?

Also

What would you charge a guy for one of your Transfer cases for a shorty glide? I really like how simple it is and one piece with the tranny. Thanks

Sounds like your convertor **** the bed, tale tale signs of the diff color metallic flakes in the oil. Stator fins and bronze welds failure, been there to many times to count. Your in a good spot with having the correct size conv. fit in a glide now use the good advise givin early on and get the right convertor. Save your self a ton of headache. And ya I agree back the timing down to 27*

Your very lucky to have so much great hard earned advise from others going into this, I was not so fortunate. The only couple people doing it when I started in 07 wouldn't even start to comment to me any helpful advise, it all came the hard and expensive way. This forum is full of great advise from people like that if you can sort through the BS and keyboard racers

Hey Nootch. Yea, it has a cooler with a fan. I hooked it to the same switch as the radiator fan. Before I do a spool up, I always kick that switch 'cause I know whats coming. The trans hasn't seen anything above 210*.

Stingpuller, I'm not sure what's in the trans. It is the one to support 2500HP. As far as the chain drive goes, you might want to wait until i try it out. lol I think everything but the 1/4" key in the driven shaft will be OK. I should have gone with the 10 spline stuff from Scott or Gary Baker. It's easy enough to change so I'm gonna wait till the other stuff breaks.

stock600, you may be correct. However, I think it has something to do with the low gear clutches. The slipper clutch feel came back just before it completely quit moving. It would act that way in first and reverse and it quit moving before I could try high gear. I also noticed about 90 thousands of play up and down on the yoke and the rear seal was leaking. I think something happened to relieve the fluid pressure on the clutches. Or, rather the low rpm torque overcame the fluid pressure on the clutches while boosting with the trans brake. The problems started after boosting on the trans brake. Again, I'm hoping for a faulty bushing/clutch/part of some sort 'cause I can't afford for this to happen again. Crap, I can't afford it now!!! That Gregg fella at FTI seems very sharp and he must be busy 'cause I have yet to hear back from him. The tranny is on its way to Florida.

I'm trying to get the vid downloaded.

[ame="http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/bodacious598/media/20140317_193311_zpsb258a6d6.mp4.html"]20140317_193311_zpsb258a6d6.mp4 Video by bodacious598 | Photobucket[/ame]

I hope this works. If you listen close as I'm backing up, you can hear the tranny noise I mentioned above. Sounds like a dry bearing.

Better glide news

I sent an e-mail to FTI trannies Sunday evening. I was out in the woods for most of the day today, but when I got back into cell service, I had a message from Gregg.

I tell ya this guy is way to likeable to get mad at. He is absolutely there to for ya, even though you might not get a call back in a day or two. The tranny is fixed and ready to ship back. Yee Haawww!!!!

From what Gregg has explained, the band was stretched and the reverse cluthes were damaged. Root cause? Cummins Torque. LOL

Before I elaborate any further, I have a question for Stingpuller, Stock600 and RPM Motorsports.

When you are staged and you engage the trans brake, do any of you have a way to limit the throttle position or rmp while on the trans brake? I'm sure you are familiar with the gasser rev limiters where when you push the trans brake button an rpm's are limited to whatever launch RPM you want? Maybe Stock600 will have some advice here? I guess what I'm truly trying to ask is how much torque and what rpm do you fellas think you are throwing at the reverse clutches while boosting up on the trans brake?

If you are running an afc, or external gate. You can limit fueling and boost both by cutting air to afc, or blowing upen gate with co2 regulated to a cetertain psi.

Both will limit torque.

Thanks for the reply crackerman. I am running neither an AFC or a gate. I have seen some of the pro street trucks that must be doing something of this nature while boosting. They had a little mini stack beside the exhaust stack that would begin to blow more and mores smoke as the sound of the turbo spooling became more evident.

What we are considering is an air or CO2 powered cylinder placed in the throttle linkage. My application is in compression so the cylinder would be normally extended until the trans brake was applied. At that point, the air or co2 would be expelled through a dump valve and no matter how far down you pressed the throttle pedal, the linkage would only go so far. The instant the trans brake is released, the cylinder would fill with air or CO2 and go to full throttle.

I don't want to go this route 'cause its just more stuff for me to forget to do while trying to race and more stuff to take a dump on ya when you least expect it.

I really need to wait until I can get it on some good hook. I can dang near light the turbo without the trans brake on these junk asphalt roads we have. If the chain drive will hold, I know I'll be able to light it in 4wd. I know the 60' will drop off not leaving on the trans brake, but, I'd rather race a full season on the foot brake than tear this thing up again.

Tranny

I do run a run a two step when staging. I have run it both ways. I never hurt it that way but it would have to be harder on it. I can change my stage rpm with a flip of a switch. I figured you smoked the band which is why I asked if you had adjusted it. I would bet they upped the line pressure because of the low rpm you are on the brake. They seem like they are working with you and that is the main thing. I talked to them at the PRI show in Florida and they didn't want anything to do with a diesel then. I can't wait to see this beast go down the track. It should be quick and not break every weekend with the lower weight.

That thing is cool as all get out! Looks like once the trans is ironed out it will be fast!

Thanks ecc_33, It feels pretty quick on the highway. I don't want to get my hopes up too much, but, I had a bracket car ('76 vega with 468bbc) that was only 100lbs lighter and made 742 HP. As far as I can tell right now, the little 50 would take it out here on the highway.

Thanks for the reply Stingpuller. I hope you are correct about the not breaking thing. I am anxious to get it on the track. Our local track (2.5 hrs south, Kanawha Valley Dragway) opens April 9th. I'm hoping to number one be together, 60-65 degrees and clear skies. Would you have any way to give me an educated guess of the torque you are trans braking with?

Don't thank me. You need credit were credit is due! YOU are the one that put a cummins in something that small and light with a glide and transfer case etc. IMHO that stuff is what pushes the diesel community. Not as much what I've done. I know racing and pulling my truck a few years has shown people what diesels can do but this is showing how creative people can be with them!!!!! PM Jeff or "sting puller". He will be more than happy to help ya out. lol. (Sorry Jeff but i know its true). From what I've seen and know Jeff really hasn't turned his rail up much at all on hp because of his miss issue. There is still quite a bit left on the table!!.

Last edited:
Don't thank me.
Well fine then, thank me. lol

Yep, I agree that Stingpuller is a good fella and I have yet to meet him. I'm hoping we can hook up somewhere this year. Any fast track mud races in your'alls area worth showing up to? I was thinking of hitting the Jamboree in Lima, but, I'm sure they'll stick me in class 5 & 6 and it would just look like I was racing in reverse. LOL

Mud Runs

They have a local mud run that's 5 minutes from my house once a month. They have good payouts and trophies and is easy to find. I have some friends going to the jamboree and might try and go this year. I live pretty close to Brad "Virgil" Woodson and talk to him often. Hes a good old guy that just like to have fun and hang out.

Virgil

Is he a heavy set fella? I remember a virgil that ran class 4 with us in '02 at Indy. They were filming it to aired on TV and Virgil came up on kill and completely flipped his ride over backwards????

Heck of a nice fella and I couldn't help but laugh a little when they interview him.

Why did you say baby motor over there???? It's OK if those Dmax's don't make that kind of torque. You really don't have to get defensive about it. LOL LOL

Tranny

Yep that would be him. That's was funny on his interview. I really think you will be fine with your tranny when they get it right. I wasn't cutting on your motor at all. Get it going so we can all see it run.

I wasn't cutting on your motor at all.
lol, I know. Just trying to get ya riled up. I'm waiting for ya to get a class 3 S-10 and come play.

Hey RPM Motorsports, thanks for the reply. How does the bump box work? We watched the older black chevy pickup at schied with a duramax and I think he was doing something like the bump box. It appeared he'd come up on the brake during pre-stage, get it spooled, and then release and engage the trans brake really quickly to stage up. We were right behind him in the burnout box and it just seemed brutal.

I'm off work today so I'm just setting here waiting on my tranny.

watching. when you go to kanawha valley, which is not to far from me, i'd like to come watch you make some passes!