Ram50

What's the weight difference between the B&J setup versus a 48RE? Maybe somebody could build you a diesel spec 727 with lockup?

dvst8r & khaoskustoms, can it be built with a 1.56 first gear??? Just curious, what would a lockup 727 run at in $$$.

I would have to guess at the weight of the can. I would go with the aluminum one so Lets say it is 20 lbs. The transmission weighs 44lbs and the clutch will be 75lbs. That totals to 139 lbs. I weighed a 47rh without the converter and it weighed 197lbs. How much will a good tripple disc converter weigh???

I just got off the phone with my mud racing buddy. He believes the converter has failed in some form or fashion causing debris to go through the pump and this is why the pressure is down. I will not know until I ship it back and Gregg tears it down. But, if the converter did fail, this means the trans may have held. I don't know if I mentioned it before, but, fluid is leaking from the front seal.

I wish I could get on the phone with Jim Hughes himself and talk it through. I didn't catch it before, but, they advertise up to 3000 HP.

2nd gear is close to 1.54 ratio. I don't know enough about interchangeable parts between the non lockup diesel 727's and the lockup 47re's. I would assume you can bolt everything in from a 47re from the o/d housing forward.

dvst8r & khaoskustoms, can it be built with a 1.56 first gear??? Just curious, what would a lockup 727 run at in $$$...

Call the number I gave you. Even if you don't buy from Steve, I promise it will be worth the call.

Hey thanks dvst8r. It seems as though you may have a bit of a soft spot for the dodge tranny's. LOL. I'll certainly keep the info you gave me for future projects, however, since the back of the cummins already looks like a chevrolet, I'll stay with the transmissions that will bolt to it.

I pulled the trans today and found a possible problem I may have overlooked during the tranny install. Their was over 1/4" of movement in the converter from being completely seated in the trans to bolting to the flexplate. I spoke with FTI on this issue the first time I installed the converter and as long as you had at least an 1/8" and no more than 3/16", it wouldn't be a problem. I truly only checked the measurement the first time I installed the converter and had just under 3/16". Seeing as how the converter has been cut apart twice since then, I guess it is possible the height of the converter has changed that much. Whether or not this caused the latest issue is to be determined. Also, the fluid looked so good, I think I'll reuse it.

I'm thinking about giving this glide one more try. I mean really, I doubt any other tranny company would do what Greg has done for me.

Hey thanks dvst8r. It seems as though you may have a bit of a soft spot for the dodge tranny's. LOL.

To tell you the truth, I really don't. I just have seen so many transmission combinations tried, and so much money spent over the last 14+ years that I have been playing with diesels, that I just really have a soft spot for things that work. *bdh*

I just really have a soft spot for things that work.

I'm hearing ya dvst8r. It's not that I don't appreciate the help, but, I already have spent the $$ to make the back of the cummins look like a chevrolet. My mid plate and all would have to be changed in order to get back to chrysler.

I removed the tranny today and placed it on a pallet for shipping. I'm pretty sure I found the reason for the latest failure. When I unbolted the torque converter, I could slide it back a little over 1/4" before it bottomed out in the tranny. In earlier conversations with FTI, as long as I had between 1/8" and 3/16", I did not have to shim the converter. Well, to be honest, I looked at the clearance when I bolted in the tranny this time, but, did not check it as it has always been good before. I'm betting the notches in the converter slipped out of the pump when I came down on it and pushed the pump backwards. This would cause the pump to wear very quickly and not hold good pressure.

This converter has been cut apart twice since I first installed it. Originally, when the pump bottomed out in the bell, you couldn't spin the converter because it was hitting the bell. I did notice during the last install, the converter would spin freely when bottomed out. I'm not 100% sure this is my converter. I looked for identification numbers and couldn't find anything. I pulled a tape across the front and it still measures the same. The last stall let me get to 2500rpm and Gregg was supposed to loosen it up another 500. I could only get 2000rpm out of it this last time so it may be some other persons converter.

Regardless, I wouldn't feel right not giving FTI another go at it if they are willing. This time, the converter will be very loose.

On a brighter note, I did finally get my custom plates on.

100_7381_zps725ec1a5.jpg

Ha ha, I'm sure you're forgiven. I still say go with a tight converter and twins, but I know how you are about weight....

Hey JQmile, I get this tranny thing figured out and your gonna have to come over here and take a ride. Its quite the treat!!!

Hey Russ with RPM Motorsports, thanks for the e-mail address to Hughes. I sent the e-mail yesterday and I had a reply waiting on me when I got home from work. It sorta felt like Christmas. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that Hughes will be able to assist me with my powerglide issue. As I had sorta figured, being a high end racing unit and all, they will not do the money back deal as FTI has done. Stating the Hughes transmission has held up behind 3800HP has nothing to do with diesel torque. Additionally, the first quote I received from Hughes on the XP5 was wrong and the price has changed considerably, the new price is $11,419.34 plus shipping. I'm not saying I would never pay this price, however, I will more than likely go with the B&J if the FTI glide doesn't pan out this last time.

How much torque does a 3800 hp gas engine make?

Last edited:
How much torque does a 3800 hp gas engine make?

Excellent question. It has been speculated on here in the past, but, no real numbers. Hypothetically, I would think on the big end of the spectrum, say a 3800HP Alcohol, blown, injected engine did make something amazing around 1500lb-ft of torque, it would have to occur somewhere around the 5250 RPM mark.

If Greg thinks the tranny is worth giving another try, we are going to set the converter for a 3000RPM stall mark to hopefully give the pump plenty of space to build pressure for the clutches. This was our goal the last time, but, something went awry in the converter and I actually lost stall speed.

Better glide news

The tranny hit FTI late yesterday. I got a call from Greg, but, I was out away from civilization until late evening so I had to wait and call him today.

Tranny has been torn apart with no visible damage anywhere except the pump. Looks like I suspected the correct failure. Greg is going to fix the converter hub back to the original length and take a shot at the 3000rpm stall level.

I have to keep this thing together now in case someone wants to try to get my $1000.

Check out the link:

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168804

Will you be at Mason Dixon again? Except this time with your truck instead of Craig's. That'll probly be the only time ill get to see yall run (as in if craig is still racing his shortbed) If not I may have to hop in the first gen and travel to see this thing run

SmokingOreo, yes we will be at the mason dixon diesel fest whether everything is running or not. We had a blast up there cold weather and all!!!

My good Friend and proprietor of Spin'er Tight brought some video to me yesterday. Thanks Chip.

This is one of my first boosting attempts on the brake with the first re-stall. You will see almost 40psi before I cut it loose. You can also hear me feathering the throttle at the brake over point trying not to kill it with fuel. I think you can see boost pressure bounce off 70psi before I shifted. I also like to watch the egt gauge and I'm hoping the water injection will prevent such a fast needle travel.

ame]

Last edited:
Man, I just can't win for losing on this powerglide.

I received the tranny and converter Monday. I had a late day at work, but, when I did get home, I began the install. I grabbed the converter and turned it over to add a little fluid and just out of pure luck, I heard something rattle in the converter. I grabbed it back up and began the spinny/shaky deal and sure enough, it sounds like a BB is in there rolling around.

I immediately called Greg on his cell and left a message. He called back in about 15 minutes and had me stab the converter in the tranny to see if it was possibly the stator rattling around. I knew better, but, did what he asked and the BB was still running around in there.

He had me drill a 5/16" drainage hole in hopes the BB would fall out. Unfortunately, after a couple hours of an upper body workout, the BB would not come out.

So, the converter is going back to be cut open yet again. I can only imagine the havoc this little bastard would have caused if I had not been so lucky.

Maybe next weekend for test and tune?????????????????????????????????