Ram50

By String.Puller
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a question for FreakShow. Ryan Tucker keeps saying you can build a 13" gm converter(power glide turbo spline) for a diesel that will handle pretty good power and do it for around $400. I just don't see it. Like I told him for that I would take a chance but if it's junk i'll scream like a school girl! If it's good I will stand in front of the nation and preach like Obama!

The last several posts have been real classy and dissreaspectfull. I regret ever posting in this GD thread big time. Re read it, I have nothing to sale have never sold one part ever to a diesel racer and never made a dime off of any help I've givin in the past. My intent was to try and help a guy I did not know with hard earned info that cost me years to get and the hard expensive way. Every time it back fires so Ive officially leaned my leason. Order you a 1200 dollar convertor and just be happy with it, their just like everyone else huge mark up in their products. Try and retire with each part sold rather than make a living. The reason the part Was going to be such a low cost was due to me calling at the time many months ago and asking him to do this guy a favor, look at me now explaining this **** with nothing more than trying to give advise from the beginning.

And from how it sounds you may even turn up the charm and sale my guys convertors to your customers, I beat I can quess the price these little sweet hearts will go for. Leave well enough alone and go back to Coan or whoever you were using, they all make a great product to. The gd point the whole time was the size of the stator, but not every one gets it.

Bye, it's been real.

Tucker

Last edited:
Ryan Tucker (stock600) ran 5.20's in 1/8mi, 8.20's in the 1/4mi with a 12mm P7100 and an S300 on fuel years ago, and beside the fact he is a guy that does what he says and would give you the shirt off his back, why is he being beat up in this thread?

In my opinion Ryan brought a lot of interest to diesel drag racing, and I know the strides he took to make the TH400 work, I guess I just don't understand. If you guys want to bash on someone that has not contributed there are plenty of them out there, but Ryan isn't one of them.

Unreal

I just got on line a little bit ago. I was not cutting on Ryan! I just didn't think one could be built for the money. I talked to Michael at Freakshow and is going to try and have one built by Indy. I really hope it works and helps my car out. I'm willing to give it a try and see how things go. He told me how he does them and how it will work. Ryan you really don't know me or you would know I never rip anyone off or overcharge for anything! Anyone who has been to my shop will stand up for me. That's why I'm not a big balled like others because I Do CARE! I guess it really don't matter anyhow what you think of me. I guess if you want to call me a prick like you did in your pm to me that's your choice. I hope I get this converter and my car picks up a bunch and you will see cartwheels out of me.

Ryan Tucker (stock600) ran 5.20's in 1/8mi, 8.20's in the 1/4mi with a 12mm P7100 and an S300 on fuel years ago, and beside the fact he is a guy that does what he says and would give you the shirt off his back, why is he being beat up in this thread?

In my opinion Ryan brought a lot of interest to diesel drag racing, and I know the strides he took to make the TH400 work, I guess I just don't understand. If you guys want to bash on someone that has not contributed there are plenty of them out there, but Ryan isn't one of them.

yea I yanked his chain some, perhaps I misread what he represented in his post. point is if the convertor works it will be great and prove a point, just didn't understand what took so long to get a response.

as far as the past , he had great running vehicles...

Point is the guys that actually race shouldn't be bickering back and forth, that is Hogue's job.

Ryan Tucker (stock600) ran 5.20's

...forget that number. I'm more impressed with the full size truck numbers!!!

I really just had to :poke: a bit about the frame. I understand when you haven't ran the mud holes with us crazy hillbillys. And I was never told by Ryan Tucker that he could get me a converter for $400.

I got the converter back this evening after paying overnight on Wednesday. I did the shake and roll test and yet again, something is in there. I went ahead and installed it anyway. I filled the tranny with the cheapest stuff the wife could find at Walmart. Testing just moments ago revealed a stall just below 3000RPM and she boosted right up in this low 60*F weather and no nitrous.

I installed a new seal before seating the converter and found a real piece of weld slag (for real) lodged behind the seal lip. I knew something was in that converter!!! Same with the newly restalled unit. I'm going elsewhere for my tranny work. Sounds like I might have to send it to Freakshow.

Regardless, we will be at Kanawha Valley tomorrow or now today Saturday. I'm gonna have another go at it.

The turbine fins looked to be just fine. I'll post up a pic when its not so late.

I moved the nitrous from in front of the turbo to just after the turbo. I can't
wait to see if the changes helped.

Last edited:
go gettem!!! best of luck.. can not wait to see what the changes did for you.. I know your going in the right direction buddy..

I'll have to say, ladies and gents, this past Saturday was one of the best race days I've experienced in my life.

Hey DEZLFREK, thanks for the info on the placement of the nitrous jet. It was 86*F Saturday afternoon and we didn't have a chance of spooling without the nitrous. Now, with the relocated jet, all you have to do is get into the fuel, roll into the beams, and hit the nitrous just before you are ready to launch. She'll boost up almost instantly. Here's a pic of the new location.

100_7403_zps16f570ab.jpg

Their is way to much for the driver to do with our current set-up. Something has to change. We roll in on the footbrake, try to set the pedal where she won't go through the converter, stage, hit trans brake and nitrous button, listen for spool, let go trans brake and nitrous at the same time or try to hold nitrous down and let the trans brake go:doh: SOMETHING has to change. I think I'll hook the nitrous to the trans brake. This will help, but, if I want to get back in the nitrous, I'll have to figure something else out. Maybe a micro switch at WOT to reactivate??

I held the nitrous down on my first launch and the thing leaped off the line and right toward the guardrail. The track was too hot and we finally had enough power on launch to spin those Micky's.

Craig ran it next and forgot to pull the trans back to low gear before launch. He took off in high gear and ran a 6.59@107. (Note: 60' timers were not working this night)

Both of these runs were in the heat of the day.

Along around 8:00PM, the sun sank out Cali way and the air became very, very good. Mid 60's and hardly no humidity.

Craig came out and ran his best pass of the day at 6.35@109 in time trials. I want you all to listen to this single pass and tell me if she's blowing through the converter or blistering the high gear clutches?? He shifts about 60' out. Also, what is the white smoke when he lifts at the finish line. It comes out of the stack.

[ame="http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/bodacious598/media/craigdrag3_zpsda118fc7.mp4.html"]craigdrag3_zpsda118fc7.mp4 Video by bodacious598 | Photobucket[/ame]

I couldn't let that stand so I figured since I out weighed Craig by 60-65lbs, it would only be fair to hold the nitrous button down in high gear. So I did and had the best pass of the day with a 6.31@109

[ame="http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/bodacious598/media/Archdrag3_zps7da68cbb.mp4.html"]Archdrag3_zps7da68cbb.mp4 Video by bodacious598 | Photobucket[/ame]

I ran the truck 3 times and my son, Craig, ran the truck four times. I ran the bracket and he entered an Outlaw Street 6.50 index. We had decent cool down time between runs, but, we fought tranny heat pretty hard. We ripped some cardboard into big enough pieces to lay on our sides and fan the air toward the trans. It never got above 210*F and it never leaked a drop of fluid. I mic'd the OD of the converter hub and it was correct this time.

On Craig's first eliminator pass, he didn't get spooled quick enough and his time fell to a 6.78 and he lost.

I ran back to the trailer to help him go ahead and load up and I could hear the turbo fins digging into the compressor housing as he came up the return road and into the pits. Yep, the BorgWarner S480 has **** out it's bushings. Where would be the best place to get a rebuild kit for this thing???

well i was smiling the whole time watching your videos buddy.. thats flat gitting with it..
ok, now put this stage of nos on a full throttle micro switch, at another point put a button on the left side of your steering wheel so you can spool with like a 30 to 40 jet(in the intake manifold for instant hit)(this if small enough you should be able to hold on once you start giving it some gas to cut down on the spool time to amost no time, which the tranny will thank you for also) on a momentary button.. leaves your right hand to do the trans brake and shifting..
as far as rebuilding the 480.. ya the rebuild kits all seem to be right around 150bucks..
a little fact your truck is running amost identicle times to my nova on low boost(14psi) the way i drive it daily.. plenty fast and basically around high 9's to 10 flat..

I talked with Greg at FTI today. He sat down at his computer and watched Craig's run while I was on the phone with him. She is definitely running through the converter. I may end up dropping the final gear ratio in order to get out of the hole a little better and this may also help the converter out a bit.

I'll have to take back what I said in an earlier post about going somewhere else for my tranny work. I have basically accepted the trans since she is holding now and not leaking. I will buy the clutches and bands and let my local tranny shop handle the install. As far as the converter goes, Greg is going to build me an 11" and send it to me just for trial. I'm willing to do the work of installing it. We both agreed this thing should dip into the 5's without nitrous and he is on board for the challenge.

However, just so some folks don't think I'm crazy, here is a pic of what I found behind the front seal.

100_7405_zpsb8761bf2.jpg

We took the S480 apart last evening as well. Please have a look at the discoloration on the shaft and let me know your thoughts. We have a mud race in Braxton County this weekend so I need to get on the ball with whatever I need to get.

100_7404_zps28bd31c8.jpg

We had another great weekend of racing. We traveled about an hour from the house to Flatwoods, WV to partake in the WV day celebration mud racing/bog event.

The rebuilt turbo performed flawlessly.

You'll have to go check out Hillbilly Proud on Youtube if you want to see any of the runs. It takes forever to download these dang videos and time is of an essence right now. They haven't posted any of them yet, but, should have them up by the end of the week.

I will say that with 29"front and 35" back dot tires, it was the remake of the titanic. lol

Hey, Numidia races are July 19th at Numidia Dragway in PA I would love to see you out there running the D50!

Hey SKYNYRD, I hate to let ya down but, mapquest says it's a 6 hour haul for us.

That's just to far for us right now with work and all. I used to do these trips many moons ago. I just don't have it in me anymore.

We ran at 'Havoc in the Hills' this weekend.

It is a nice 150' mud pit and the folks that put on the event are top notch.

Craig was the wheel man this weekend and did an outstanding job. We are going to have to get his spooling time down a bit, however.

His first pass netted a 3.33 in 150' and the second pass was a 3.57. The starting line was about a foot deep and pretty sloppy so no real good bite was available. He finished fourth in a field of five trucks (lol). However, the first place jeep was running a 706 cuin chevy based engine and weighed in neighborhood of 2400lbs, the second place jeep was running a 600 cuin ford and weighed in at +/-2500lbs, and the third place jeep was running a 632cuin chevy and they are a heavy 3800lbs. I must also add that none of these vehicles are even remotely close to being street legal!!!:bigsmile:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10204327279761594

I decided to make an exhibition pass later on and I also wanted to try out the cuts in a fresh pit. We are going to have to up our tire size if we are going to do any more deep mud with cuts. The scoops do a great job, however.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10204327260601115

'Ol Bodacious barely had any mud on 'er after Craig's passes. When I ran with the cuts, I couldn't get the hook to get on top. The pictures below show the result. It ain't nothing a little soap and water can't take off. LOL

100_7407_zps5f5a8ca5.jpg

100_7406_zpsf0406c3f.jpg

By the way, the videos from last weekends race are now available on the Hilbilly Proud you tube page.

Looks like a blast!! We had a race up here in NW, Mo yesterday aswell. I'd love to see the look on everyone's face if you ever make it up this far north beers on me! Most of our races are around Kansas, Midwest Mud Boggers is who we are. Love to see that rig at a race.

lol, Thanks for the invite Big Boy Toys. We ran with a few fellas from MO back in '02 when we hit the Indy Jamboree. We wont be making it out that far this year. I'd like to get the local fellas a bit more worried before we hit the highway.

I did get a few Debbie Downers over at Havoc in the Hills. Mostly from folks whom didn't know me. They were quick to come visit the pits after our runs. LOL

I should have given some times on the last post. The winner of the class ran a 2.91. (this was on cuts). The third place time was a 3.3?? something also on cuts. We ran a 2.91 last weekend in 150'. I think Craig may have creeped in on the lights just a bit.

I noticed my front shocks are only allowing 2.75" of droop. I would like to see at least 4"

I also forgot to mention we made a gear change two weeks ago. We went from a 3.50 to a 4.30 rear gear and it really woke it up. I am anxious to see what these gears do on the 1/8th mile. Unfortunately, unless a freak cold spell rolls in, we probably won't give it a try until late September.

Wow, this thing has come a long ways .

Those 1/8 mile runs you made were awesome, and the mud run, that looked like a blast..

Looks like your mud vid may be making the rounds on FaceBook. A non-diesel friend just posted it on my wall. :D

Looks like your mud vid may be making the rounds on FaceBook. A non-diesel friend just posted it on my wall. :D

I have recently gotten a few Gasser friends hooked on this diesel stuff .. looks like threre wanting to come to the dark side of fun :st: