Ram50

i just have to say is your son can WELD. craig is the man. thank you much for the welding on the bonneville car.

i just have to say is your son can WELD. craig is the man. thank you much for the welding on the bonneville car.

What more would you expect??? I mean really, look who his old man is!!! lol!!

You know I have worked and worked with that boy trying to keep things as light as possible. You guys are gonna ruin him. lol!!!

A month has past since my last post. My progress on Bodacious has been slow.

However, I have made some progress.

Front engine mounts are done. I fab'd them out of 3/16 and 1/4" aluminum I had left over from trimming down the bell and mid plate.

After days of cutting, grinding, cussing and welding, the header is finally done. I have a whole new respect for real stainless steel as I have no sharp metal working tools left in the garage. I wanted to add that I pretty much broke all the 'header fab rules' on this thing. I'm relatively happy with the header except for the #6 tube.

header_flange.jpg

header_flange_2.jpg

header_flange_3.jpg

header_flange_4.jpg

header_flange_5.jpg

Some of the rule breaking here. I did not use purge gas on any of the welds I could get to with a rotary file.
header_tube.jpg

header_tube_2.jpg

header_tube_3.jpg

header.jpg

header_2.jpg

header_3.jpg

header_4.jpg

header_5.jpg

header_6.jpg

I would like to thank the lovefab folks for the idea of using the light wall stainless.

Since my plans are to mount the A-pump on the passenger side, I had to turn the turbo and make room.

Nothing new to report on Bodacious other than the dust is about a 1/2" thick on 'er right now.

We did, however, take my daughters truck to Parsons. I couldn't be prouder!!! She graduated from High School on Friday night and chooses to go racing with the family early Saturday morning. With last years experience and excellent coaching, Samantha soon caught on to bracket (Index) racing and was cutting some very mean lights. She ended up letting a fella get in her head at the lights and didn't get the truck on boost. She placed second in the 6.0 index class!!!

Plans are to eventually build her a truck with the 'ol 5.9 that was in Bodacious.

Here are a few vid's. This is the truck her brother built. He went 13.30's in 2wd with a 14mm head on the VE. It now has a Mt. Diesel 12MM hot rod pump, 47RH (Vannest Performance), hx35 over Ht3b. We figured 20lbs of boost on spool up was all the dana 44 u-joints would stand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbhe-c-lt2g&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XoAniM5YVc&feature=youtu.be

Very cool! Yeah, I bet the D44 is on borrowed time. That is so cool to see a family that everyone gets involved!

Hey Arch, We miss you back over at bimmerfest where you told us of your plan to build the 3L BMW into latest version of Bodacious. I'm having trouble seeing your pictures posted above. I wanted to say that intake you shipped me is being put to good use. Come drop in and see us every once in a while, please sir.

Hey BB-cuda, thanks for stopping in.

Not much happening with Bodacious at this point. ...been doing lots of bench building/dreaming and the passion to hit hard enough again to not care about the money.

New RPM goals!!!! Poor little BMW's :evil

Hey all. I did want to kinda let ya in on some hillbilly thinking I've been doing. Well, you got great folks on here who post stuff like this VW 1.9 9500 rpm... - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

Ok, so you begin thinking that since this thing is A-pumped, why can I not achieve the same rpm's with my pump?? I know Andy2 is probably dead on when he says they wont last, but, how many passes can I get out of one??

Then you begin to worry if the stroke on the BMW's is anywhere near what the stroke is in the 1.9VW engine. See, my hillbilly mind is thinking about out running the flame front with the top of the piston. I google both and to my surprise, the VW is 95.5MM and the BMW's are 90MM. So, technically speaking, I could go even a tad further in rpm's to match the VW's piston speeds.

So my pump guy tells me he thinks he can get it. Just gonna have to pull the governor??? What do ya'll think?? I can go to hand throttle if need be???

Just post videos please!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thats bound to be a special build to spin anything that fast... so what are you thinking about pushing the mains out of the block at those RPMs? Id imagine a supremely balanced rotating assembly is in order? Block strength considerations - girdle? Compression ideas? Lightweight materials being made for the rotating assembly to keep it from pulling itself apart? How square is the borexstroke? High end bearings available? Aftermarket rods? Pistons? Head sealing ideas?

how do you plan on keeping it from just being a grenade?

I'm not asking to be negative or a debbie downer or even doubtful of this idea. Just curious. :)

That's bound to be a special build to spin anything that fast

Well, you'd think so wouldn't ya.

You'll have to read back a ways, but, a quick review of the block. They have steel sleeves cast into the block that receive the head bolts and the main bolts sorta sandwiching the block between the head and the mains. I just ordered the block filler from Riolo Racing Engines in Cali to firm up the bores. I'm going to go with an aluminum girdle probably somewhere around 1/4" thick or so. The oiling is top of the line dry sump. All custom ARP studs. Will this bottom end be strong enough???? We'll see.

I had two sets of Pauter forged rods made. Of course I will weight balance these.

The crankshaft is forged from the factory. I was told you really couldn't balance an L-6 crank.

bigblue24v (Will) cut the original Mahle pistons from 16.5:1 down to 12:1 &13:1

Read back and look at the discussions on the head gasket. I'd like to at least o-ring the thing, but, with such small bore spacing, I'm not sure enough room exist to put two rings in between the bores. May have to ship the blocks out to someone who knows what they are doing here.

We still have to fab up the intake/valve cover and the dry sump oil pan.

Next thing is valve springs. Gonna have to get a heavier set in there to keep geometry tight up above 5k rpms. Sure no problem right??? I can get the springs thanks to the boys across the pond hot rodding the Mercedes engines. Now some grey area... the cams are hollow. How much spring tension can I run against the cams before they start torqueing and getting valve timing all screwed up. Maybe I should just send the cams to Zach and have him make new solid cams with some aggressive profiles??? The factory red line is 4400.

We spun the cummins to 6,000 rpm. With some rough calculations at atmosphere, that's a 980553.9 MM^3 at 100% volumetric efficiency. The BMW gives a whopping 498,759.3MM^3. My hill folk thinking is that if I can get the BMW's to move as much air as the cummins, we are going to make close to the same power. So at nearly half the size of the cummins, a fella's gonna have to crank the BMW as hard as possible.

Thanks to Leiffi on here, I have this http://www.npsheads.com/index.php/flow-database

If you'll notice, the flow efficiency on the BMW 4-valve head is much better than the stock 12valve cummins. Who knows how much better our Enterprise ported head flows over stock? I may also find a top notch head porter and have them work a little magic on the BMW heads.

I just have a feeling if I can use the same S480 and give it at least 600cc's of fuel, she's gonna fly and hopefully not fly apart.

Post up a picture of the head gasket. You might as well do head and cam work while your at it. Regrind may be your only timely option. I would get the crank balanced but you are right that it ussually doesn't take much to get balanced.

I would highly recommend a DLC coating on both the plungers and nozzles.Perhaps this would be key to keeping a high rpm mechanical monster together. I had custom 12mm A pump DLC plungers made however there was too much back leak and rack sticking issues.

It takes a top notch fuel shop to probably build a lasting high rpm injection pump,A place that has been there and done it before and know's the limits.

Hey Andy2. My pump in its current condition is sticking the rack on the stand.

Here are some pics of the head gasket. The top and bottom layers measure .008" and the middle layer measures .039". I like the O-ring idea, but, with the rigid center layer, I think only the side the o-ring is on will get sealed better. IIRC, I think it is the blacks diesel truck is running with just the layered gasket???

HeadGasket2_zps338526c1.jpg

HeadGasket3_zps3f3d45bf.jpg

HeadGasket_zps8dc5b68d.jpg

Possibly, I'll shoot them an e-mail as well.

Here ya go James...and I agree with ya on the head and cam work. It's gonna need something.

If i may...As far as the engine is concerned rpm is a non issue, piston speed is the limiting factor. As for the valvetrain and pump not so much. Return spring pressure is very important in the pump. Dlc coating on pin, roller bucket and plungers will help you. At those rpm, lubricity and cetane improvers are a must. If you get me the weight of the valve, spring retainer and follower, I will calculate the pressure needed on springs. Fyi, we have springs we would be happy to donate to your cause ;)
Larger valves will greatly help your quest for 9,000rpm.
We are a few months from releasing cams (reground) for testing.

Cheers,

Zach

Last edited: