Ram50

As some of you may remember, the valve cover on the BMW engine is composite and houses one set of intake ports. Right off the bat I realized this thing wouldn't hold in a high boost application.

Scott Law (chipmaker) built our current xfer case and wanted to take a look at the valve cover dilemma. This is the resulting cure so far.

12417839_1130490550294859_7116843936602531793_n.jpg

Here are two of the factory valve covers. Lots of weirdness going on here.

camcovers_zpsf6f18472.jpg

Hoping the top of the engine will look much cooler once we get this thing fab'd up.

ive got the hold downs figured out to cut away composite cover to fit over aluminium part

OK JQ don't kill me. While pulling the engine I found my boost leak. :bang

If anyone has any ideas of starting the 'biggest retard of the year' thread, I win!!!!!!!!!

boost_leak_2.jpg

boost_leak.jpg

Yep, forgot to weld one of the v-bands. It's tacked in two places. Lord only knows how fast it could have been??????????????????????????????????

No need to dwell...lets move on; shall we.

chipmaker whittled out this nifty bell housing alignment tool. Instead of hauling the block to Browell I opted to get a blank bell spun out and perform the mounting of the bell myself. This was not only a much cheaper route, it saved me a +/-14 hr round trip. Huge thanks to Browell boys for putting up with me.

browell_centering.jpg

I have not weighed this bell. It feels about 2/3 the weight of the steel can behind the cummins.

browell_2.jpg

browell.jpg

I also purchased these nifty screw type transfer punches.

0595290-23.jpg

I forgot to add I am having teething issues with the new image hoster I'm using so if you can't see the pics, let me know.

had a great time today destroying a bmw valve cover today with bodacious to fit the new aluminium intake piece. cant wait to see pics.

DAYYYYYUUMMMIIIITTTTT.. Lol I feel you.. But that boost leak was definetly self induced.. Don't do that with the intercooler this time..

Don't do that with the intercooler this time..

I make no guarantees. lol

had a great time today destroying a bmw valve cover today with bodacious to fit the new aluminium intake piece. cant wait to see pics.

Might get some pics up this evening. I had a good time as well.

I have made some progress on the BMW.

I center punched the bell and hauled it up to chipmakers. He stuck the bell in his mill and drilled the four mounting holes as well as spinning out some custom dowels that stepped from .571" to 9/16". Dang metric crap.

I used the cummins mid plate to position the BMW in the frame exactly as the cummins was positioned. Hopefully this will negate any driveshaft work???

When I unbolted the cummins mid plate, the fram rails jumped in abut 3/4" reminding me this thing has been in a wreck before.

I spent several hours drilling, cutting and grinding and now the BMW is hanging between the frame rails!!!

bmw_block_and_bell.jpg

bmw_bell.jpg

mid_plate.jpg

mid_plate_starter.jpg

midplate_starter.jpg

BMW_in_frame.jpg

Forgot to mention I received my dry sump pumps from AC Nutter. Here is one mounted and ready for action.
BMW_in_frame_2.jpg

It's pretty amazing how much shorter the BMW is compared to the cummins. The #1 injector on the cummins was centered on the front end housing.
BMW_in_frame_3.jpg

Dampeners

A couple questions:

BMW_in_frame.jpg

Can anyone see any potential problems with mounting the A-pump on the exhaust side like the pic JQ posted?? With the dry sump being where it is, things are gonna start getting pretty crowded on that side when the hoses go on. Also, if the pump is mounted on the drivers side, it's gonna have to be mounted pretty high.

Second question. This engine will get fired up, idled a couple minutes, pulled to the line, beat to death for 3-4 seconds, quickly get out of the way and shut off. Probably gonna have to pull it back to the pits.

I've noticed on applications like TAD and TA Funny car, some don't run an engine dampener. I've heard the blower belt sorta takes the place of the dampener. What are your all's thoughts on not running an engine dampener on the BMW since the injection pump will be belt driven???

you can ask cory any questions or concerns with doing a remote mount. he's a good guy, might beable to help you out.

I'm such a retard. lol!!! I didn't see the link to the article until just now.

A couple questions:
Can anyone see any potential problems with mounting the A-pump on the exhaust side like the pic JQ posted?? With the dry sump being where it is, things are gonna start getting pretty crowded on that side when the hoses go on. Also, if the pump is mounted on the drivers side, it's gonna have to be mounted pretty high.

I've noticed on applications like TAD and TA Funny car, some don't run an engine dampener. I've heard the blower belt sorta takes the place of the dampener. What are your all's thoughts on not running an engine dampener on the BMW since the injection pump will be belt driven???

Depends on where the exhaust and turbo(s) fit on the passenger side in regards to the inj pump/lines.

Do you have an idea about what turbo(s) you are going to use ? A big single should make it easier to keep the head glued on but it will be difficult to leave the line hard using a single turbo capable of moving even 500 hp on a 3L diesel.

I don't run an engine dampener on my 1.9L engine that runs high rpm.No issues yet.

Here is a test and tune video from last year of me running the BD towing twins (357/s366). Hopefully it might serve some use to you.I can't remember how many cc's fueling I was running.There was a fuel starvation issue keeping me from making a good pass.

[ame]http://i1373.photobucket.com/albums/ag363/dieseldiy/GOPR0360_EDITED2%20final_zpsipszcjvz.mp4[/ame]

I'm looking to swap out the s366 for an s471 and I'm already cooling between stages.

Any progress on the injection pump and/or what injector bodies/nozzles you'll be using ?

Hey Andy,

Good to here from ya. It is just crazy to see that tach run up 9,000rpms. lol

I'm not to familiar with the vw engine. Was the stock balancer big & heavy? Without weighing, I'd say these BMW balancers are right in line with a cummins balancer. It is good to know you have eliminated yours without issue.

I sourced the injectors from Romania. They are stock injectors from an M-47, BMW 4 cylinder engine from the early 2000's. I sent them to my pump guy and he had them extrude honed to 100% over. I need to order up some wire gauges so I can see how large the holes actually are. I felt like I made a major score with these as the M57 engines have the same funky two bolt hold downs as the M47 did and the injectors just fit right in place of the common rail injectors.

The last I spoke with my pump guy, he was waiting on the new pump cam.

I'm actually going to try an S480 on this thing. I have it so why not???

I bought a bunch of stainless stuff to fab up an exhaust header so I can pretty much stick the turbo where I want. One issue I foresee with the pump over there is I'll have to do away with my mechanical throttle linkage and use a cable. It only means a little more fab work but the old linkage was designed for more precise throttle control (street driving). Since we will no longer be street driving, I guess I can cheat a little on the cable install. lol

Last edited:
Spent yesterday evening and most of this morning reading through every single page. There is so much good info in this thread, I will most definitely be following along! You and your son do amazing work and I really can appreciate the passion and dedication you have. Also it's really cool your family is much involved with racing and being at the events.

Thanks AlmostBroke94. I wouldn't have it any other way. My daughter will be headed to college this year and it looks like my son may have to start chasing the pipeline work out of state. Hopefully they can free up enough on some of the weekends to come race with us.

I have major plans for the daughters little first gen and her plans are to triple major in Engineering (Mech, Civil, Safety). As she learns the theory, we'll put it to work on the truck.

I'm glad you are enjoying the thread. That's one reason its here. lol

That's good news about the injectors.The factory ALH TDI pully/damper weighs about 4.7 lbs and some guys run a fluidampr at 6.2 lbs.I did eventually install a very light weight serp pully on the crank to drive an alternator.

Glad to hear that you are brave enough to try the s480.