Ratchet Shifter vs PCS

DaveMatthews

Just what it says. Blew my 68rfe (Imagine that) at Ennis a cpl weekends ago and have a 48re on its way.

I've always preferred shifting till I got to diesels, so I'm really looking for something other than to hold on. At the same time I've spoken to a few guys that say you can't get the manual vb to survive very long? So for all you guys running a manual vb and a ratchet shifter, hows it working out. What did you do with the TV cable? Just wire it up full?

And is there any problems driving it on the street? Mine won't see any towing, but I do like to drive it everywhere..

Its going in an 08 6.7 4x4, sbqc. Currently stock, but as soon as I get the trans figured out and running I'll swap some parts in.

And I haven't decided on who's parts for the trans yet either. Dave, Jeff, etc.. Any help there would be appreciated as well..

Thanks

I've got close to 13k miles on mine, never misses a beat. I've done everything from DD to school to towing and racing. I've got close to 80 boosted launches on it and it's held great. Although with just the manual shift kit I haven't been able to wire the tv lever full throttle without some weird shifting. Oh and spooling turbos is cake ;)

On a 2008 truck I would just want a regular auto though... That's just me though.

The manual vb is fine :) and fun!

Thanks

I've got close to 13k miles on mine, never misses a beat. I've done everything from DD to school to towing and racing. I've got close to 80 boosted launches on it and it's held great. Although with just the manual shift kit I haven't been able to wire the tv lever full throttle without some weird shifting. Oh and spooling turbos is cake ;)

On a 2008 truck I would just want a regular auto though... That's just me though.

I've been running brackets the last two seasons in it. Its the only diesel I own, so its gonna be my starting point. Don't have any reason to go out and buy a 5.9 when I have a good base sitting in the garage.

So my primary focus is for the track. If that means no towing, no biggie. I have other means and will have a tow truck coming next season. I'm just not interested in spending an additional 1800 on a pcs and appropriate vb if the old school way works just as good. Like I said, I was used to shifting prior to desiels at the track. I'd really like to get back to that.

I haven't decided yet on upgrades. Big single, no twins for sure. sticks and pump will just depend on the turbo choice.

While she's down right now, she's going to get lowered, new treads. Traction bars, A new tcase as well because I cracked my stocker at Ennis as well. (A phuck ton of wheel hop then hooked...URGH!)

I have a 48re & 271 coming from a wrecked rig in florida. Both will get gone through. Currently truck has all the fancy stuff, so there will be some fabbing going on, especially with the manual tcase shifter and the ratchet shifter...

Really just want to make sure that I can get full pressure and keep a vb intact through dd & 100 or so passes this year. Don't mind pulling it every season, but if I'm gonna blow a vb every year I might think about it a little more..

PCS will make it easier for the swap. But man have fun with that more wires then you can imagine.

PCS will make it easier for the swap. But man have fun with that more wires then you can imagine.

Yeah. I'm sure it will be interesting.. Can't decide either if I want to use a lockup controller or switches. I have SC controller laying around somewhere...

We have ran both ways. The PCS is great if you have lots of time to play with tuning. Its probably better for a daily driven truck. But I prefer the rathcet shifter. You tell it what to do with your right hand and it happens. No electronics to depend on.

Thanks

I've been running brackets the last two seasons in it. Its the only diesel I own, so its gonna be my starting point. Don't have any reason to go out and buy a 5.9 when I have a good base sitting in the garage.

So my primary focus is for the track. If that means no towing, no biggie. I have other means and will have a tow truck coming next season. I'm just not interested in spending an additional 1800 on a pcs and appropriate vb if the old school way works just as good. Like I said, I was used to shifting prior to desiels at the track. I'd really like to get back to that.

I haven't decided yet on upgrades. Big single, no twins for sure. sticks and pump will just depend on the turbo choice.

While she's down right now, she's going to get lowered, new treads. Traction bars, A new tcase as well because I cracked my stocker at Ennis as well. (A phuck ton of wheel hop then hooked...URGH!)

I have a 48re & 271 coming from a wrecked rig in florida. Both will get gone through. Currently truck has all the fancy stuff, so there will be some fabbing going on, especially with the manual tcase shifter and the ratchet shifter...

Really just want to make sure that I can get full pressure and keep a vb intact through dd & 100 or so passes this year. Don't mind pulling it every season, but if I'm gonna blow a vb every year I might think about it a little more..

Call goerend for the manual VB. They are around 800 ish. That will do everything you want. The biggest disadvantage to just installing a cheap transgo kit is there is no manual 2nd gear lockup. If you do decide to go that route it isnt bad, saves the hard parts for sure.

Call goerend for the manual VB. They are around 800 ish. That will do everything you want. The biggest disadvantage to just installing a cheap transgo kit is there is no manual 2nd gear lockup. If you do decide to go that route it isnt bad, saves the hard parts for sure.

I've got an email back from Craig, but haven't had time to call him. He's trying to sell me all the parts for it with some spec's on the tricks. I guess they are 3 month's out on orders. Which is fine for me. I would prefer to build it myself anyway.

Also got a call into Jeff, but haven't gotten a response yet.

I guess my biggest question would be the tv cable and what to do with it. And 2nd gear lockup is a must.

We have ran both ways. The PCS is great if you have lots of time to play with tuning. Its probably better for a daily driven truck. But I prefer the rathcet shifter. You tell it what to do with your right hand and it happens. No electronics to depend on.

I thought that aron ran through a bunch of 47rh valvebodies in the beginning??

We had some problems with the tranny in the beginning because I was using a 48 tcase on the rh tailhousning. Didnt work to say the least

We had some problems with the tranny in the beginning because I was using a 48 tcase on the rh tailhousning. Didnt work to say the least

That would explain it. I couldn't remember exactly what it was. Just knew he went through a couple vb's before switching to the pcs..

You still coming to the EFI class in june?

Use the pcs and get a manual shifter, I do. If you want to shift it, go manual. If you want to cruise without shifting, put it in drive and forget about it.

With a manual vb, you'll need to figure out a way to connect the throttle to the tv, or just run full line pressure all the time.

Personally IMO the sweetest would be paddle shifters fixes to a manual VB. I called TCI when I had my old Dodge they had a paddle shifter kit. Yet said that it would only work with GM tranny . So hopes were crushed. I know a couple others that would like paddles to there built autos . Yet I would want it to go into overdrive with a up shift. Not having to use a button or toggle it into overdrive.

So Paddle Shifters IMO

Is the 48RE all electronic or does it use hydraulics to engage the gears?

I know the 4L80E use electrical shtuff to control the gear selection, hence being able to use paddle shifters, were as if the 48RE is hydraulic/electrical and needs a governor to control pressures so it can shift when it needs to, it still needs a mechanical actuator.

Clear as mud?

I run a prototype SunCoast manual valvebody with full line pressure. I can even drive it on the street, just lift to shift. Also, Dave Goerend has a constant pressure valvebody you might want to look into. I have heard good things about it also. After seeing Cole's truck run 9s pass after pass, I would think that would pretty much prove that manual vb's can work just as well with diesels as they do in other racing applications.

I'm gonna call a few people this week. Here's one more though. Does anybody make a shift light for these things... Or am I going to have to get creative..