Running with no pcm?

1lowdiesel

Might be a silly question but if i don't plan on running any gauges other than pyro boost and trans temp do i even need to run the computer under the hood?

reason i ask is i'm trying to have the least amount of wires i can under the hood.

thanks
kyle

Prob not gonna run them. If i do i'll hook them up on their own switch so i can turn them on/off manually.

Prob not gonna run them. If i do i'll hook them up on their own switch so i can turn them on/off manually.

Put them on a push button, or a spring return toggle, too easy to get distracted and leave them on.

no, you dont have to. i would change the rectifire on the back of the alternator to a one wire set up cause i believe the pcm controlls the charge of the alt. i would just tuck the wires and the pcm instead of delete them.

Well it's going in a 1950 international so there aren't going to be any other electronics in the truck anyway besides brake lights and other odds and ends.

alright that will be a sweet truck. In that case you wont need any pcm. just the wires for the starter, alternator and the fule shutoff selenoid. thats it.

Cool that's what i was thinking. That's easy enough, i just needed to hear it lol.

I would still want an oil pressure and water temp gauges. There are plenty of other ports on the engine to keep the sensors and wires less noticable

Well i can put in some auto meter gauges that would have their own sensors but not as many wires as the stock harness would.

While you're under there eliminating wires, you can use a choke cable to operate the fuel shutdown solenoid and eliminate the three wires and relay controlling it.

You'll still need a voltage regulator of some sorts for the charging system.

x2^^ You can get a Gm one wire alternator with an inturnal voltage regulator. Nothing else, you can get the stock dodge alternator reworked to a one wire and get an exturnal regulator. You could mount the regulator on the frame or under the dash to be more hidden. I have plans of building a drag truck/ hot street truck with only the required stuff for it to run, but with as much hidding as possible. Got a few designs in my head for a low mount GM alternator

You don't need the ecm, the life can be much more easyer without it, I will do similar swap to my hotrod truck (I started the thread in conversion forum)

Shut-off solenoid - manually activated by cable
Engine speed signal - from alternator W- connector
Alternator with internal regulator
Press and temp sensors - Autometer
Automatic tranni control - manual valvebody
TC and overdrive solenoids -manually activated switches with relays
Speed signal from rear axle

if your runnin the rh you'd be even better off......just set up hobbs switches for OD and LU. Personally I would hold on to as much of the pcm controlled features as I could..

I am using an Rh trans. I like the idea of the pull knob for the shutoff, i think i have a choke pull on the dash already. I have a GM alt so that works. And i was going to use a switch for the od and lock up.

Might get alittle old using the switches by hand......thats why I suggested the hobbs switches. But hey to each their own.

Back