s480 single in drag truck??

jsf350

i have a s480 that im thinking of putting in the race truck (htt 66 in now.... 300hp nozzles/ duel cp3)
1)-do you think i could get it to spool or should i just go twins?
2) i was thinking of running it (s480) for one night at the track- or should i not even waste my time?

thanks

Im sure it is the 88/96 turbin wheel. I would think it would be to slow for a drag machine unless spray is used.

Last edited:
Ok thanks- I actually have another turbo bigger then the s480 that will most likely be put on the bottom of the 66. I was just thinking for sh*ts and giggles the 480 would be a quick swap- but I was thinking the housing would be to big as a single.

But it does have a duel stage nitrous kit as well!!! Lol

No way would I put twins on it. just get a 2nd gen t4 manifold and an s475 with .83 wheel and a 1.0 or 1.10 housing(if your gonna run NX). I looked at buying that truck for something else to play with. That is exactly what I was gonna do to it. And a few other small changes. That truck will be DEEEEP in the 10s with a 475 and spray. And still daily drive it if you wanted to.

No way would I put twins on it. just get a 2nd gen t4 manifold and an s475 with .83 wheel and a 1.0 or 1.10 housing(if your gonna run NX). I looked at buying that truck for something else to play with. That is exactly what I was gonna do to it. And a few other small changes. That truck will be DEEEEP in the 10s with a 475 and spray. And still daily drive it if you wanted to.

Yeah I Believe a few trucks are even running industrials Phat Shaft 71 with a few stages running 10's

Being on a CR I dont know if Id do it compared to a 12v, do to the rpm range you have to work with. That thing probably lights in the low 3k range and your done in the high 3k rpm range. Id look just a hair smaller like a s478, IIRC correctly talking w/ Chris @ ED its a 7 blade design vs 8 blade design of the s480, which plays a significant role in spool up, along with exhaust size.

But like others said running something that big, IR manifold, full port, fly cut pistons, BIG cam, and torque converter, will all help drastically together.

the 66 spools no problem with the tc now---- it just cant flow enough air (11.1 as it sits/ fuel only)

10's is gonna happen without a question (WITH OUT NITROUS) ...................... im going for 9s (with or without nitrous)

i have alot of plans for the truck .... but with the season coming to an end i want as many passes as i can..... and then this winter things really get moving

it wont be a DD as theres no heat/ac/wipers....... but it will be driven on the road/ registered :woohoo:

Being on a CR I dont know if Id do it compared to a 12v, do to the rpm range you have to work with. That thing probably lights in the low 3k range and your done in the high 3k rpm range. Id look just a hair smaller like a s478, IIRC correctly talking w/ Chris @ ED its a 7 blade design vs 8 blade design of the s480, which plays a significant role in spool up, along with exhaust size.

But like others said running something that big, IR manifold, full port, fly cut pistons, BIG cam, and torque converter, will all help drastically together.

I've read the 78mm s400 wheel is as light as the 72mm s400 wheel. Some food for thought. I'm not sure you could get a s478 to spool as fast as a 72, both with similar turbines, but it's food for thought.

the 66 spools no problem with the tc now---- it just cant flow enough air (11.1 as it sits/ fuel only)

10's is gonna happen without a question (WITH OUT NITROUS) ...................... im going for 9s (with or without nitrous)

i have alot of plans for the truck .... but with the season coming to an end i want as many passes as i can..... and then this winter things really get moving

it wont be a DD as theres no heat/ac/wipers....... but it will be driven on the road/ registered :woohoo:
IMO, Id either get a stand alone or Ppump it. :evil Or even better throw a 6.7 in there and Ppump it. :ft:

i something very similar to a phat shaft 71 as a single for a while and in 4wd on my 12v i could make 30psi, but it was also built to be run a single, still though i think the s480 could work for you seeing as how you have common rail and more fuel, also I had a 92% converter and had no issues brake boosting in 4wd.

I wanna try a S480 on a 6.7, with a ported head. But I doubt it will happen by the end on the year.

I tried three different s480 setups on my truck. Ran like a bat out of hell til it hit overdrive and it was over. Just wouldnt stay lit even with cam, cut pistons and a real loose converter. So i went back to a more streetable converter and 475. Very nice daily driver setup. I would like to try a 480 again with the B&B side mount intake I have now.

Back