School me on TDI's......

Very nice!! That's a lot of beans outta the ol ALH TDI!

IF (big if because I'm really jonesing for a diesel Cruze next) I get another TDI after I'm done with this 02 Jetta, I'd like to get a 4-dr Golf like yours!

Mine must have a problem, even though it currently has a clean bill of health, because I can barely muster 40mpg out of it. I used to get 40-41 pretty regularly, then had an insident where a nimrod tried to fire it off for me by pouring gasoline in the intake tube (yes, to the turbo) and then it ran [like a scalded dog] on that drink of gas for about 15 sec. Since then, it's been checked out and all is well but I barely get 38-39mpg now. I'd sure love it to get up there to 45-50 like so many others are apparently getting with cars like mine. Hmm.

What's all.done to your car?

In running a stage 3 Malone max fuel tune, pp502s, straight 2.5 exhaust and a cai which doesn't make a difference and getting right at 47 daily driving.

Very nice!! That's a lot of beans outta the ol ALH TDI!

IF (big if because I'm really jonesing for a diesel Cruze next) I get another TDI after I'm done with this 02 Jetta, I'd like to get a 4-dr Golf like yours!

Mine must have a problem, even though it currently has a clean bill of health, because I can barely muster 40mpg out of it. I used to get 40-41 pretty regularly, then had an insident where a nimrod tried to fire it off for me by pouring gasoline in the intake tube (yes, to the turbo) and then it ran [like a scalded dog] on that drink of gas for about 15 sec. Since then, it's been checked out and all is well but I barely get 38-39mpg now. I'd sure love it to get up there to 45-50 like so many others are apparently getting with cars like mine. Hmm.

Well... I personally believe the dyno was being very generous. The 99 whp in stock condition just can't be right. They're only 90 hp stock from the factory.
So, I really think that 163 is closer to 140 +/- for the mods I have.

When I go with an exhaust system, then AARodriguez is going to do some custom tuning and try to get the extra 15-30 hp out of it.

170 whp is supposed to be the magic number for the "SAFE" zone of the stock rods and other components. I DO NOT want to be rebuilding this thing, so keeping it a bit BELOW said "safe" zone if Fine with me. It's not like I race it.

I've not driven a Cruze yet. Heard they have tuning now for them as well. I think Roy Slaughter has had Fleece tune his. Wonder what it makes at the tires.

I love the 4dr. Golf. I don't mind the Jetta, but the Golf just seems a bit more my style.

Safe zone? Thats silly ;)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkGVTrv-PWg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkGVTrv-PWg[/ame]

My car is stock except some injectors. I think they're 502s. &hi have to bog it waaaaay low to get even a puff out of it so I don't think there's any tuning. It's peppy though. I've only driven one other TDI & it had injectors, tuning, exhaust & suspension goodies. It was smokey if you wanted it to be. I'm not mentioning smoke because I want it. Just as a sign that it is not fueling hard enough to smoke even with the stock turbo so it's stock.

It does have 330k+ miles but had the head rebuilt last year & while it was off the cylinders looked great, turbo is tight, has new vacuum lines. New timing belt, water pump, yada yada.

My commute is about 50-60% interstate (70-75 mph), 25% hwy (45-60 mph) & the rest city or stop-n-go. I think it should do better but idk. It sure seems to turn a lot of RPMs (~2750-2900) on interstate & I wonder if that's actually too much for it to be efficient?

Safe zone? Thats silly ;)

Very nice... I didn't even know the motor sat sideways like that in a Passat.
What power lever is that??

Well today AARodriguez installed a known good used ECU with only 46K miles on it. NO CHANGE in the "No Timing" reading. So the Limp Mode issue can't be fixed. Even though it's not done it again since the other night (after clearing the codes) with the old ECU and the new one. I just drove 40 miles and it's driving great.

Any Ideas at ALL on why it's showing " zero timing "??

Here is AARodriguez' post from TDIClub

I'm stumped, I changed the ECU, it has a stock tune, still no timing reading

Checked all obvious wires that Jeff recommended, all were fine, no sign of wear.

check this screen shot out, ideas?
swole+zero+timing.PNG

My commute is about 50-60% interstate (70-75 mph), 25% hwy (45-60 mph) & the rest city or stop-n-go. I think it should do better but idk. It sure seems to turn a lot of RPMs (~2750-2900) on interstate & I wonder if that's actually too much for it to be efficient?

Mine too as far as RPM's.... But I seem to think it does better with mileage at the higher RPM's.... I usually cruz in the 2800-3100 RPM range and get great mileage. (Stock..... I've not tested a long trip yet with my new power / tuned set up...But going on a vacation trip to Daytona Beach soon and will get figures then).

Not sure what its at, I just buttoned it up today! Only running 32-35psi at the moment.

I still think it might be a #3 injector fault... you have tested that right? I haven't been following the thread on tdiclub

Not sure what its at, I just buttoned it up today! Only running 32-35psi at the moment.

I still think it might be a #3 injector fault... you have tested that right? I haven't been following the thread on tdiclub

I don't know if he checked that yet. I forgot to ask him today.

Thanks

My stage 2 endurance does the same thing. If its not normal then I got to change mine.

Been doing it for 7 months.

I think it's just the material. Mine doesn't slip. Just squeaks.

My stage 2 endurance does the same thing. If its not normal then I got to change mine.

Been doing it for 7 months.

I think it's just the material. Mine doesn't slip. Just squeaks.

Well I guess that makes me feel a bit better...

Does it stutter / shutter when you take off?
Mine shutters and shakes a bit sometimes when taking off from a light.

Well guys I will be shortly joining you in the brotherhood of VW owners. I bought a 2001 VW golf 2dr with 161k miles on it silver with black interior.

Did the glass headlight lens mod yesterday!!! Makes a TON of difference in looks!!!
SO Worth it!!

Old pic and was actually worse now

5C19053A-6A7B-4347-A43B-94862C17AE0C_zpsneuzfz3a.jpg

New Lens Mod :)

34B1BED1-4A5C-47E2-824C-BDA65ED5F3A1_zps1dltxtow.jpg

02D96927-32DF-4666-8B48-037B46F4539A_zpspe560fv6.jpg

8EC079C0-90F6-4944-AF99-E3AD2C9959D2_zps1zzwzt0d.jpg

Its clutch time for my jetta, what should I order? Car is gonna have a small Malone tune and may get a turbo upgrade someday.

I still like my south bend stage 2 endurance clutch. Its feramic and will hold 350 lbs tq.

I still like it beyond the small noises it creates.