Share a tune

Again agreeing with the idea of program by how the truck feels. But completely disagree by not using a calculator especially when its a free tool and take minutes to see were your at. I don't care how good a truck feels if I had splits at 75/25 @ 2800 RPM at 85% eng load I wouldn't do it..... It just a tool to let you know where your at. I'm sure you seen/heard the some of the melting piston stories in the early efi programs... If you by in to the Smarty splits in the mid 30's that's but I felt more power closer to 50/50 splits. But to your point every truck is different and it really is feel, driveability and minimal smoke.. I would always use the calculator just to make sure nothing is to crazy.

Ok I dropped the Duration as mentioned above drove to work. On excel I have rattle now which means I'll have to adjust the timing. The smoke was much better though!
I dove into the calc sheet last night and got stuck trying to copy sheet. I could highlight it but was unable to copy. Also where am I pasting it to after the excel sheet?

1. Once you have everything highlighted gray. Hold down the ctrl key and then click on the letter c key. This should copy all things highlighted.
2. Just select the first cell in xls sheet, then click on your right mouse button.Do you see the option to paste? If so then select it. This should paste the whole table.

Again agreeing with the idea of program by how the truck feels. But completely disagree by not using a calculator especially when its a free tool and take minutes to see were your at. I don't care how good a truck feels if I had splits at 75/25 @ 2800 RPM at 85% eng load I wouldn't do it..... It just a tool to let you know where your at. I'm sure you seen/heard the some of the melting piston stories in the early efi programs... If you by in to the Smarty splits in the mid 30's that's but I felt more power closer to 50/50 splits. But to your point every truck is different and it really is feel, driveability and minimal smoke.. I would always use the calculator just to make sure nothing is to crazy.

I understand your theory, however it has a big hole in it...

Pilot timing....you have no idea where it's at, what it's doing. So setting up your main splits based upon what you CAN see is futile, because there are 2-other injection events your not calculating for.

I understand that you want to be safe and that you feel running a 40/60 split over 2800 is safe...but in reality with no pilot/post control, your theory is just implausible.

I don't like being the bearer of bad news, but you guys are tuning based on flawed theories, and while they "Work" for stock or near-stock trucks....run those numbers on a heavy fuel/air setup and adjust as you have, and you'll be quite frustrated/disappointed.

And as far as I know, no properly tuned efi truck has melted anything besides feelings.

I've seen a truck from Texas running efi purchased tune that was safe... Now its getting rebuilt... I've also seen twins with, 100 sticks, 85% pump,etc running 45 to 50 splits no issues.. Your reputation its well known Les so I can really can't dispute anything your saying...I would just be safe.

I've seen a truck from Texas running efi purchased tune that was safe... Now its getting rebuilt... I've also seen twins with, 100 sticks, 85% pump,etc running 45 to 50 splits no issues.. Your reputation its well known Les so I can really can't dispute anything your saying...I would just be safe.

Was the truck from Texas the one with a hole in a piston?

And I'm REALLY not trying to be a J/A...

Software is software. Its not a efi issue. Whoever made the program caused it. You could melt a piston using UDC as well.

Yes I'll send you a PM. This thread its not about what can happen using a bad program or trashing a vendor. This is just a reminder that stuff can happen when not checking stuff and trying to be safe.

Piston Damage

Stock truck

Attachments

• IMG950244.jpg
    IMG950244.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG955173.jpg
    IMG955173.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 0
Now back to sharing a tune! After lowering my duration the smoke cleared up and I had to drop the timing to erase the rattle. Now it runs kind of ok not as much power as before and my EGTS on full throttle will peg the meter in about 10 seconds! I don't feel the rush anymore but my son said it felt fast from the pass seat! Still trying to figure out the calculator! I got it to paste to a spread sheet but where do I put it from there? Which sheet and do I erase the sheet first?

Ok Drove the truck with lowered timing and it seems to smoke quite a bit more!
Any suggestions?

Paste all your tables in a spread sheet and post it our email out to me and I'll put out onto the calculator for you so you can see what you have going on.

Back