show me smokers

JFlagg said:
Thats a shame, Jeremy gave me my first pointers at my first sled pull......And I still smoked the stock clutch......:doh: Now I just smoke my DD:bang

We got to have a chat about pulling sometime. Gettin you more than smokin clutches.

2WD, how big is that pull? How many people usually show up, not only pullers. I need some numbers on certain events to help with some finacial providers decisions. For something like that it may be fun to show up just for s**ts and giggles.

Good luck with everyone getting along the the nwmtpa. Its not gonna happen. Ive had work done with sjd and mwd, and i have no complaints, but when i do hear bashing to either of them i speak my opinion and give credit where credit is due. I hear of bashing of the sjd truck from the savanah shop (who doesnt have a truck) and i think thats bs. Dont stick your nose where your not involved...

I agree rob, in the NWMTPA the issue is lack of people showing up, to hook. When trying to get a sport going, you don't have diesel shops show up and run their purpose built pullers in a street class. I have no problem with them running an exhibition class or something, but kind of disgruntling to the guy that has a stock truck. If there were strong turnouts for the diesel classes you could have them run, but there just aren't that many groups of strong trucks that run consistently at the pulls. There are some good running trucks, but nobody really runs for points, that I have seen. I mean teching at the event is a joke. I am sure the st. joe truck has much larger than a 2.8 charger, and the times I saw it there wasn't a bushing in it.

The SJD truck was was teched at the Platte County Fair by me personally.
The turbo was legal.

Well I have been to several that haven't. Were they running a bushing? Just saying that the some things need to change.

Last edited:
zstroken said:
Well I have been to several that haven't. Were they running a bushing? Just saying that the some things need to change.

Yes lots of things need to change, my hood was popped at 2 nwm pulls this year. Im not gonna start on trucks that are leagal and ones that are not, but i do think if someone wanted to sneak something by it wouldnt be to hard, thats at a nwmtpa pull not the fair. I tried to get a 2.5 or stock turbo class going and everyone thought i was stupid for trying to split up the class cause there wasnt many trucks. My point was, who with a smaller turbo'd or stock turbod truck wants to run against a couple of diesel shops? I know i dont, but no one wanted to listen so im out. My truck is returning to stock and getting traded on a new 08. Who knows, maybe ill build a reg cab dmax drag racer, so i dont have to deal with all the bull sh*t with the NWMTPA guys.:tree:

Yes It need to change next year! I was on the NWMTPA tech crew and it will hopefully change next year, "we" meaning anyone who hooks in the class needs to make sure we voice our opinions at the pulls to make sure the trucks get teched.

The SJD truck comp housing is welded up and turned to 2.8.

I think we also need to kick twins out next year, since I was the only one with twins and I was not even close to being a threat. need to get that rule out of there before it gets out of hand.

I understood where they were coming from for the rules. They had such few trucks that they were letting anyone hook that would show up. I know I pull down at spring river and we are only looking at between 5-10 trucks that hook. Only 4 that are usually competitive. Something to think about is possibly a 2.5 class that allows bushings. This could tame it a little, but still let the guys pull the bushings out and run in a 2.8 class or something. I don't know, I only pull at a few of the NW pulls, most of them are too far away. May even be worth while to just snag a 2.6 class or something, until enough guys really get into it, then move up to the 2.8 or so. A 2.6 truck will turn 600 and make a great show.

I said it then and I'll say it again. I was very pleased with the teching at both Platte City and the Houston, MO pull this year. If nothing else, they at least made an attempt to keep the class fair and competitive.

However, these smaller associations and their diversity of rules in Street Diesel will not help grow this sport here in Missouri. There is a literal explosion of trucks wanting to pull in this area. You have the desire and an audience willing to support this sport. The problem is the frustration factor from everybody using different rules. Ask around right now and what's the number one reason a truck puller (at least here in Missouri) is hacked off? Rules. It all comes back to rules. Either they aren't enforced or some truck is legal in "this" association and now he's running in "that" association but nobody is teching.

If we as a group are going to grow any larger there has to be some standardization. I've pointed out in the past on different forums how each association has "tweaked" the rules to their liking. If this was done strictly to allow certain trucks to hook, we can debate that for years. But, bottom line, it needs to be a standard. There are plenty of trucks out there willing to hook, but lately coming to these pulls with a true "street truck" is like showing up to a gun fight with a pocket knife. It's frustrating to say the least. It's either a street class or it isn't. Don't use modified class rules (or similar), then call it a street class. It isn't.

I can understand different sleds requiring safety rules (helmet, fire suit, etc.), but the rest of the rules can easily be the same. I can guarantee if you standardize the rules across these smaller associations and enforce them, they will come and the associations will grow.

/off soapbox

lcaad1249 said:
Was yours the red truck with the camper shell that took second?

Yeah that was it. I had a good time. Just sold camper shell guess I will be putting my stacks back in this week.

Your Soapbox? Watch this!

Soapbox? No your just saying what everyone else was thinking. MO does NOT have a good set of rules and with everyone feeling what they are doing is right, no one wil bend to meet anyone half way.

The Sacntion bodies (maybe with the MSTPA) should talk of what the rules should be. Teching has been a major problem however I was head tech at Raymondsville (Houston) and talked with every last puller about their truck to make sure they were legal. Even MWD opened up and let me do what needed to be done as long as no one else was there to see. Them, with the help of one of their crew members, helped me not only look over their truck in a timely fashion but also helped me tech the other trucks there in a timely fashion so I cannot say anything bad about MWD as they were open with those that needed to know.

There are some trucks out there that are on the edge for the DHRA rules we had only in that all the local boys coming out to pull are no where near close to what they are running. Now this is not to put down MWD Duramax but with them going to a pull where Jahnsen, Cole or Shaun are not at, few trucks will be able to compete (the same thing goes for the other trucks mentioned in the same situation) Though these trucks meet 2.8 rules, few poeple can come up with that type of money in order to compete, especially at the local pull.

Now take this next part with a grain of salt only because even though by the looks I will be pulling next year, I will not be allowed to compete in the local competitions. Better rules or different classes must be setup. Now I'm not saying do as the DHRA purposed because the super street and mod trucks are not around here as much (though Cole or Jahnsen maybe able to jump into that class from time to time I consider them 2.8 trucks). To designate the 2.5 class at ITPA is considering would be a good bet, only in that most of the trucks showing up are work stock or a 2.5-2.8 class. Now 2.8 no bushing would hurt some trucks, such as some already listed, but to get a 2.8no bushing, the guys running the PS71, PS66 HX40s, etc... chargers would be more competitive as those trucks, if driven correctly on any given day, could keep up with each other.

The 2.8 class, though great for national competition holds to many, or for that matter, to few standards to help bring out more diesel trucks in the state of MO. The other problem is weight as I have seen it a few times here in MO. Most people want a weight of #8500 because they can enter their duallies into the competition. Which this is a big deal because for local pulls alot of the farm boys want to come out and pull their trucks, the same trucks they work with everyday. With them being duallies, an #8000 class doesn't really work. Even the mega cabs are having a hard time meeting that class and long bed 4 door trucks also do sometimes depending on whats done to them. With that being the case, trucks maybe out of contention before they are even in.

If you were to run a WS and 2.5 class with #8500 and a 2.8 class with #8000 the trucks would be more able to run. The #8000 class also brings out another point in that though Jahnsen's truck is a short box ext cab the rest seem to be ext cab long beds. Though it may create a problem in that people will complain about weight, driver skill now comes out. In short with the lose of grip, the competitive guys have to rely on their skills of driving and track reading. This brings the trucks with longer wheelbases with advantage in grip down to where the other trucks are at in that their lose of weight must be compensated in reading the track.

None of this would even begin to work unless the organizations or sleds at events would be able to tech a diesel truck, which most won't. With the resistance between sanctions to refuse to consider change in rules, it allow for more to come out and pull or have better competition between those showing up. Not only that but for those that are looking things up on the sled websites or sanctioning sites, most events do not advertise the fact that there even will be diesel and in some cases they are thrown in with the open class which seems to be more depressing in that it means that they will now be running with the unlimited gas motors and 2wds. Some even only allow the diesels to be run in the home town class with no hanging weights so now the competitive guys are pretty much out because weight is a big thing in trying to compete with some of the trucks in the hometown class. If the sanctioning bodies first stated that they would have the diesel class through the season, it would be a big jump.

Plus alot of those that come out to see us have to sta till 10:30 in order to see them pull. Putting something the average joe can relate to better at the end is also one of the downfalls. Though John Doe wants to see the big trucks, alot of people feel like they can relate to the sport in some way such as "well I drive that truck/tractor". Major changes have to be taken or looked at in order to drive the sport further along in the state of Missouri. This "whoever runs, runs and they can go last" bit just ain't working because the guys behind the wheel of these trucks refuse to go anywhere and I think we have proved that fact.

I think that is more than just my $.02.

i can't speak for any other areas...but i know for a fact that most of the serious and veteran truck and tractor pullers around NW Missouri and NE Kansas still think that diesel truck pulling is a fad that will go away as quick as it showed up...i have talked to a bunch of veteran truck/tractor pullers and none of them take diesel pickup pulling seriously...

the biggest reason for the lack of support by rules and sanctioning committees is because of the "we don't give a damn" attitude of most diesel pickup pullers...for example, at every single pull i went to this year i can only remember one or maybe two diesel trucks who were at the pull and ready to go BEFORE the pull started...90% of the gas trucks and diesel tractors were there in time...why not the diesel pickups???? A great example of this is the Missouri State Fair...surely SOMEONE else on this site was there to witness the 5 or 10 minute delay in pulling cause be the diesel pickups because they weren't teched or weighed in on time...

and the problems around NW Missouri are not just a battle between diesel shops, because as previously mentioned...quite a few of the serious pullers have work done by different shops...and that was probably so they could save money because one shop was cheaper than another...it's just like tractor pulling in the sense that "the winner is always cheating" and somebody's truck is never going to run as good as so and so's...therefore they are cheating and a no-good sob...

another piece of food for thought (for someone to respond to) is "If diesel pickup pulling is serious and here to stay, why haven't some of the largest diesel shops shown any interest in building trucks to advertise and promote their products with??" ...examples could be hypermax, columbus diesel service, ATS, Suncoast, edge, bully dog, or any other tuning company (granted bully dog and banks have drag racers...but no pullers...)

if you look at who is currently building a lot of pickups for pulling, it is either individuals using multiple shops and distributors, or "fly by night" diesel shops who have most likely started their businesses for the sole purpose of building their own diesel pickup...

keep in mind that i love diesel smoke of any form and especially pulling...but if the sport is going to move forward some current pullers need to pick up the slack and get things organized...
there's my $.02...take it or leave it

CTDYoungGun said:
the biggest reason for the lack of support by rules and sanctioning committees is because of the "we don't give a damn" attitude of most diesel pickup pullers...for example, at every single pull i went to this year i can only remember one or maybe two diesel trucks who were at the pull and ready to go BEFORE the pull started...90% of the gas trucks and diesel tractors were there in time...why not the diesel pickups???? A great example of this is the Missouri State Fair...surely SOMEONE else on this site was there to witness the 5 or 10 minute delay in pulling cause be the diesel pickups because they weren't teched or weighed in on time...

I was there (State Fair) and hooked. I pulled shortly after the "intermission", the trucks had made weigh in, the cluster **** occurred due to pre-registration and someone didn't show up. The delay was everybody looking around for somebody that wasn't even there. The official was unfamiliar with many of the trucks and was running around all over the place trying to get things figured out. I helped the poor guy on the trucks that I knew. Incidentally, the same thing occurred in one of the other classes that pulled after us when one of their pullers was a no show.

To your other point about us not showing up on time, my only reason I can offer is one of "we always pull last", so why show up at 6:00 when we're pulling at 1:00 a.m.? Not a good reason, but I think you'll find that's the top one on the list. I agree with your general statement though.

CTDYoungGun said:
another piece of food for thought (for someone to respond to) is "If diesel pickup pulling is serious and here to stay, why haven't some of the largest diesel shops shown any interest in building trucks to advertise and promote their products with??" ...examples could be hypermax, columbus diesel service, ATS, Suncoast, edge, bully dog, or any other tuning company (granted bully dog and banks have drag racers...but no pullers...)

if you look at who is currently building a lot of pickups for pulling, it is either individuals using multiple shops and distributors, or "fly by night" diesel shops who have most likely started their businesses for the sole purpose of building their own diesel pickup...

keep in mind that i love diesel smoke of any form and especially pulling...but if the sport is going to move forward some current pullers need to pick up the slack and get things organized...
there's my $.02...take it or leave it

There is a reason that big companies such as Schied, Haisley, CDS etc won't advertise. They don't have too. They know they have the top names in the industry. They know their trucks have proven it and people call them up and will put their parts on either trucks regardless of advertising. CDS and other know the mod pullers are going to come to them for pumps because the pumps are proven and on the trucks. They don't have to advertise. Simple.

satburn said:
To your other point about us not showing up on time, my only reason I can offer is one of "we always pull last", so why show up at 6:00 when we're pulling at 1:00 a.m.? Not a good reason, but I think you'll find that's the top one on the list. I agree with your general statement though.

I understood this last year when around here the pickups were not sanctioned and always pulled last...but here in the NWMTPA this year, the trucks pulled somewhere in the middle at a few pulls and most of the "regulars" were no-shows because they probably had never been the pulls on time...

like i said, i'm all for diesel pickup pulling and i plan to build a work-stock class truck whenever i can round up the money...

..however, for the guys b*tching and moaning around here because of no cooperation or effort by the associations...show up on-time and show interest in more than just your class, also...why don't some of the pullers enforce teching...because the way things are around here i have absolutely no reason to pull, because things will NOT be fair or even fun for those of us who have daily drivers...

GSM-01 said:
There is a reason that big companies such as Schied, Haisley, CDS etc won't advertise. They don't have too. They know they have the top names in the industry. They know their trucks have proven it and people call them up and will put their parts on either trucks regardless of advertising. CDS and other know the mod pullers are going to come to them for pumps because the pumps are proven and on the trucks. They don't have to advertise. Simple.

GSM, i completely agree with what you said, that the leaders in the field don't have to prove anything...but what i was asking is if you look at the number of performance diesel product manufacturers compared to the number of mod or "fully-built" trucks, the numbers don't add up...

also, the companies you mentioned which are well-known and respected in the diesel world have all my praises...they are not competing against the "little guys" at local pulls...they have national trucks competing on a national level...very professional in my opinion
...and as far as having top names in the industry...although there would be few people on here who recognize the shop i work at, in the tractor pulling world we are very well-known and respected...the only stake we even have in the diesel truck pulling world is the widick diesel truck out of nebraska...which we built the pump and turbos for, which is not that well know, but shows a lot of potential...here's a link to one of the videos...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...=14&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=3

CTDYoungGun said:
GSM, i completely agree with what you said, that the leaders in the field don't have to prove anything...but what i was asking is if you look at the number of performance diesel product manufacturers compared to the number of mod or "fully-built" trucks, the numbers don't add up...

also, the companies you mentioned which are well-known and respected in the diesel world have all my praises...they are not competing against the "little guys" at local pulls...they have national trucks competing on a national level...very professional in my opinion
...and as far as having top names in the industry...although there would be few people on here who recognize the shop i work at, in the tractor pulling world we are very well-known and respected...the only stake we even have in the diesel truck pulling world is the widick diesel truck out of nebraska...which we built the pump and turbos for, which is not that well know, but shows a lot of potential...here's a link to one of the videos...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...=14&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=3

Clint Cannon does have a truck, its called boogie max. But lots of diesel shops choose to sponser trucks instead of having their own. MWD takes their truck to national events also, but i do not like to pull against them either. But hey theres nothing you can do, you really cant just kick them out, an nwmtpa is AGAINST any other diesel pickup classes at this time. Trust me ive been trying. The annual rule meeting for the nwmtpa is november 4th at the agency community center if you would like to try yourself.

CTDYoungGun said:
I understood this last year when around here the pickups were not sanctioned and always pulled last...but here in the NWMTPA this year, the trucks pulled somewhere in the middle at a few pulls and most of the "regulars" were no-shows because they probably had never been the pulls on time...

like i said, i'm all for diesel pickup pulling and i plan to build a work-stock class truck whenever i can round up the money...

..however, for the guys b*tching and moaning around here because of no cooperation or effort by the associations...show up on-time and show interest in more than just your class, also...why don't some of the pullers enforce teching...because the way things are around here i have absolutely no reason to pull, because things will NOT be fair or even fun for those of us who have daily drivers...

Most of the people that were pulling were on time for all the local pulls. I seen one or two instances where someone rolled in right before the pull, but personally i dont beleive that has anything to do with it. NW doesnt give two sh*ts less what time we arrive, alls they know is the diesel class is nothing but a hassle to them.

Rhall said:
Most of the people that were pulling were on time for all the local pulls. I seen one or two instances where someone rolled in right before the pull, but personally i dont beleive that has anything to do with it. NW doesnt give two sh*ts less what time we arrive, alls they know is the diesel class is nothing but a hassle to them.

Ok after tpying up a whoel long response and it not working I'll make is simple. They do think we are a hassle. Even at Belle, we were uspposed to pull first cause we were the main reason the sled was there adn they wanted to move everyone else in front of us and us back. Atfer some argument things were changed but is only showed these guys don't care. We still show up even though we don't and though its alot of die hard drivers, if we were moved forward it woudl help. I don't knwo of any of the drivers I met this year, that they showed up late for a pull. It should be simple, you don't hit the scales in time your done.

As I said, I don't put down MWD truck at all but after you see something like that go down the track, let alone pull in, most are scared. To know you have to pull against that can only scare most.

I would like to see the NWMTPA conform to something, let alone say they might to help bring attendance up in the class. For that matter, any organization. No rules are set and the people running the events or sleds have no clue about our trucks most of the time and since everyone has a "he won, he cheated" attitude, they don't want to put up with the BS. I can remember a handful of events that had this happen at. One organization the following weekend teched every last truck for once. They also said that it was to much of a hassle as there seem to be no respect in the sport....

Yes some trucks are sponsored by others but the trucks are what matters. When you look at it from a business standpoint you have to evaluate your costs. Most companies consider a $.04 to $.06 profit per person there at an event. For example, O'Reilly's can buy a NASCAR event for $100,000 in which millions of people watch that event. Now those are also national averages as for a large company to setup figures for profit margins in return for advertising at events. Given that fact, to put trucks on a track would not be worth most people's time because we don't have anywhere near that attendeance or media coverage. Now I'm not saying its right for the sport but those are the figures I have been given and calculated and when it comes back around, most businesses won't take that jump. I knew my business degree would help sooner or later.

Look at even tractor pulling, this sport simply won't ever bring in the $$$ racing will. Most of the people do this because they love it, it costs lots of cash to do it. It isn't like racing every weekend, where you can go to the local drag strip, or the local race track. Other than about 2 events a year, I have drive time of 3-4 hours round trip. I really think unless the housing market turns around, I think it will deal a blow to the diesel performance market.