silver bullet and stock injectors?

solow1k

ive searched but i clearly just suck at it or i cant find exactly what i want.

Im looking at doing a turbo upgrade. I pull 10,000ish lbs from time to time. I'll have head studs/gaskets and an EGR delete in it by this time next week so thats not an issue. Do i need a new fuel source? injectors? how will it run with stock sticks and a silver bullet maybe? What kind of power could i expect?

Not a good idea to put on a silver bullet if you are towing at all....especially with stock sticks. It's a big, rather laggy turbo and will not work good for you at all. I would either recommend a modded VGT type turbo for you or a 62/70.
Tyler

Not a good idea to put on a silver bullet if you are towing at all....especially with stock sticks. It's a big, rather laggy turbo and will not work good for you at all. I would either recommend a modded VGT type turbo for you or a 62/70.
Tyler

any links to where i can look at either of those options?

Whats the benefit of a turbo with a compressor wheel that is 62mm inducer and 80mm exducer when the stock wheel is 57mm inducer and 80mm exducer?

I can't spin a bigger wheel slower and get the same air flow? I can't use a tighter housing to get it spinning sooner? Inquiring minds want to know.

Whats the benefit of a turbo with a compressor wheel that is 62mm inducer and 80mm exducer when the stock wheel is 57mm inducer and 80mm exducer?

Everyone that has one seems to say that they are better than the stock turbo...I'd like to try one myself.

I can't spin a bigger wheel slower and get the same air flow? I can't use a tighter housing to get it spinning sooner? Inquiring minds want to know.

I tried a 66mm with everything from a .70 divided, all the way up to a 1.00 divided...
Without an external wastegate, the .70 created too much back pressure with 225cc injectors. Also, going down the road, if you seen a hill coming, you needed to get out of overdrive, or you blacked out the entire highway...

What combo have you tried that has better response then that of a stock turbo, and still be able to pull 10,000+ lbs?

I tried a 66mm with everything from a .70 divided, all the way up to a 1.00 divided...
Without an external wastegate, the .70 created too much back pressure with 225cc injectors. Also, going down the road, if you seen a hill coming, you needed to get out of overdrive, or you blacked out the entire highway...

What combo have you tried that has better response then that of a stock turbo, and still be able to pull 10,000+ lbs?

You tried a 66mm from where? Turbonetics. Is that the same as the Borg Warner unit?

Going larger and getting quicker response than stock... You would need something with a turbine A/R smaller than .70.

You tried a 66mm from where? Turbonetics. Is that the same as the Borg Warner unit?

Going larger and getting quicker response than stock... You would need something with a turbine A/R smaller than .70.

No sir they are not the same...That's why I would like to try something else. I went back to a stock turbo, and it's sure nice to see 10 psi boost at 75 mph, instead of 2-3 psi. Off the line response from the stocker is something I forgot until now...it's great. Top end is not even close, but at least I can do everything with my truck again.
Wonder about using the 66mm and a bigger exhaust housing for the bigger turbo in a twin setup. Should be good for a pulling set-up...

Sounds like a recipe for high backpressure for sure!! It's all about the right balance between the compressor side of the turbo and the exhaust side. Sure you can put a big compressor wheel on anything and see big boost but with a tight exhaust housing you won't be able to get the exhaust out efficiently thus high backpressure and wasted energy.

Sounds like a recipe for high backpressure for sure!! It's all about the right balance between the compressor side of the turbo and the exhaust side. Sure you can put a big compressor wheel on anything and see big boost but with a tight exhaust housing you won't be able to get the exhaust out efficiently thus high backpressure and wasted energy.

And clamping down the vgt and then opening it up is different from a wastegate how....

isn't the exducer on the 62mm wheel 84.6mm or 86mm depending on the s300 wheel they use (david anderson has it and knows the specs & blowin smoke had it and dyno tested it years ago for me) i personally cant remember the #'s any more.

there is a Garrett 59.1mm wheel with an 82mm exducer and a 63mm wheel 88mm exducer and wheel and a 64.7 with 88mm exducer

i believe the stock ford wheel was a 55mm wheel with a 76mm exducer this is all from memory so i might have a few things mixed up

Last edited:
No sir they are not the same...That's why I would like to try something else. I went back to a stock turbo, and it's sure nice to see 10 psi boost at 75 mph, instead of 2-3 psi. Off the line response from the stocker is something I forgot until now...it's great. Top end is not even close, but at least I can do everything with my truck again.
Wonder about using the 66mm and a bigger exhaust housing for the bigger turbo in a twin setup. Should be good for a pulling set-up...[\QUOTE]

You will want to go bigger than a 66 for your lp. Depending on the hp you are looking for, will depend on what size compressor but 66 isn't a good solution for your application.

There are a few different aspects to this. Compressor wheel is only a small part. Don't forget that the size of the turbine wheel, turbine housing A/R and Wastegated or not; can influence the horsepower and backpressure as well.

Then you have the goal or target hp range. Higher the range, the larger the turbine wheel needs to be. Right now, I think a lot of people are assuming that their hp range is going to be higher than it is and are upsizing their turbo accordingly. What they need to do is look around and find a turbo that is sized properly for their application not what they think their application is.

There are a few different aspects to this. Compressor wheel is only a small part. Don't forget that the size of the turbine wheel, turbine housing A/R and Wastegated or not; can influence the horsepower and backpressure as well.

Then you have the goal or target hp range. Higher the range, the larger the turbine wheel needs to be. Right now, I think a lot of people are assuming that their hp range is going to be higher than it is and are upsizing their turbo accordingly. What they need to do is look around and find a turbo that is sized properly for their application not what they think their application is.

I hear you there. A lot of guys are putting way to big of turbos on their trucks because they think it'll be way better only to find out that they can't do a lot of things with their trucks afterward. I'm still learning alot about turbos as I go and am trying to figure out the right combo for me.

isn't the exducer on the 62mm wheel 84.6mm or 86mm depending on the s300 wheel they use (david anderson has it and knows the specs & blowin smoke had it and dyno tested it years ago for me) i personally cant remember the #'s any more.

there is a Garrett 59.1mm wheel with an 82mm exducer and a 63mm wheel 88mm exducer and wheel and a 64.7 with 88mm exducer

i believe the stock ford wheel was a 55mm wheel with a 76mm exducer this is all from memory so i might have a few things mixed up

It is a 62/86 and is a nice upgrade as long as the injectors aren't too big.

175's would probably be perfect for that setup.

The 62/86 in my opinion is better than the 65/88 setup and doesn't surge plus has more bottom and midrange