Smarty UDC Initial Impressions

I used to get surging like that with the TNT tunes.. I will look back in my notes and see if I can find what setting was causing it..

Thanks for your time! It does it while on cruise only on down hill 0 load and now at idle sitting in the driveway! Wife thought aliens landed sounds that weird! almost a lope!

Thanks for your time! It does it while on cruise only on down hill 0 load and now at idle sitting in the driveway! Wife thought aliens landed sounds that weird! almost a lope!

Question, are you hand calculating for MPG?

Ok, I could not find anything in my notes, but if I remember the TNT version I was using would surge because of higher TQ & RP when using cruise control and after looking at your last posted tune that is not the case for you..

In your Duration and RP maps you may want to use the sample tune settings/numbers, your numbers seem low in those areas.. I think the ECM keeps trying to adjust the fueling during idle/no load because the numbers are to low..

It may be worth a try.

Randy

Question, are you hand calculating for MPG?

Ok, I could not find anything in my notes, but if I remember the TNT version I was using would surge because of higher TQ & RP when using cruise control and after looking at your last posted tune that is not the case for you..

In your Duration and RP maps you may want to use the sample tune settings/numbers, your numbers seem low in those areas.. I think the ECM keeps trying to adjust the fueling during idle/no load because the numbers are to low..

It may be worth a try.

Randy

LOL, Okay, that does not make sense.. lol, guess it was to early in the morning and I lost something in editing I guess..

This is what I wanted to say:

In your Duration and RP maps you may want to use the sample tune settings/numbers, in the low rpm and load (0-6 %) areas, your numbers seem low in those areas.. I think the ECM keeps trying to adjust the fueling during idle/no load because the numbers are to low..

Sorry

Thanks thought I had to drink a few shots and try again The 06 is 0 untill 2800 rpm in that range in duration. I recall a warning to not raise these! In the timing I'm at +7.8 in the 0 load range at 2000 rpm the sample is at +4.9 so my injection timing is even higher than the sample should i drop it down to +4.9? I'll copy from the sample 40 and try it! But I don't think that's it??

Last edited:
Thanks thought I had to drink a few shots and try again The 06 is 0 untill 2800 rpm in that range in duration. I recall a warning to not raise these! In the timing I'm at +7.8 in the 0 load range at 2000 rpm the sample is at +4.9 so my injection timing is even higher than the sample should i drop it down to +4.9? I'll copy from the sample 40 and try it! But I don't think that's it??

Yes, you are correct in having the Zero settings on the first column up to 2800 rpm.. I'm more concerned with the first couple rows (600-800 rpm) in the duration map and the first couple rows and columns in your Fuel Pressure maps.. When you do a comparison of the sample tune you are quite a bit below in those areas... Maybe AH64ID will chime in with some input..

I'll probably screw this all up so bare with me LOL.. My thinking is, there is a minimum amount of fueling programming/instruction the ECM needs to operate the engine correctly in the lower rpm/load areas and what you are instructing it is below the minimum of what the ECM requires so, the ECM constantly has to recalculate it's instructions from your tuning via engine sensor feed back to the ECM in order for the engine run within it's written programming specs..

We cannot see or control all of the parameters of the ECM with UDC that's why MADs has given us the "real world proven" samples as a guideline..

It's just a shot in the dark but, I always try to stay withing the minimums of the samples in the lower rpm and load areas..

Help me out here John!

Last edited:
Does anyone else own an SSR think its rediculous that we purchased the more expensive tuner sold by smarty and we seem be punished for it.

I began the 2 hours process of transferring someone's S06 tune over to my UDC for SSR and then it hit me why the **** did I pay $150 some more for the SSR over the S06 when I can't even compare S06 tunes in UDC.

I get it if you don't want the JR or S06 owners comparing and copying SSR UDC tunes, but there is no reason that the JR & S06 files need to be locked from SSR owners.

This is a great product but lately all it has done is left me frustrated and shaking my head. I would have been alot happier if Smarty had left UDC unreleased until some more thought had been put into it.

I work at a performance diesel shop and have people ask for UDC all the time but at this point there is nooo way I will deal with the headache, heaven forbid someone came back and wanted a tune changed or something.

-Copy & Past needed
-Timing Calculator needed
-Ability to use number pad to enter values
-Backwards Compatibility for SSR owners to compare JR & S06 files
-Backwards Compatibility for S06 owners to compare JR files

These are the 5 things I'd like to see happen and I guess until something changes I'll be leaving my truck alone or ditching UDC and going back to tuning with the SSR, at least that didn't take up half of my day every time someone else wants to share a tune.

If I come across as bitter or unreasonable than I apologize that's not my intention, I'm just an incredibly frustrated customer that wishes the product I purchased was better, maybe one day it will be.

On a positive note, SSR does have it's advantages over the other Smarty programmers, it was released/marketed before UDC was a thought and it was intended to be a race only programmer.. I don't have one but, if I recall correctly you can still get more fueling and timing from it than the S06..

Believe me when you get a UDC Tune that works on your truck the time spent transferring numbers is well worth the time and effort..

Randy

Yes, you are correct in having the Zero settings on the first column up to 2800 rpm.. I'm more concerned with the first couple rows (600-800 rpm) in the duration map and the first couple rows and columns in your Fuel Pressure maps.. When you do a comparison of the sample tune you are quite a bit below in those areas... Maybe AH64ID will chime in with some input..

I'll probably screw this all up so bare with me LOL.. My thinking is, there is a minimum amount of fueling programming/instruction the ECM needs to operate the engine correctly in the lower rpm/load areas and what you are instructing it is below the minimum of what the ECM requires so, the ECM constantly has to recalculate it's instructions from your tuning via engine sensor feed back to the ECM in order for the engine run within it's written programming specs..

We cannot see or control all of the parameters of the ECM with UDC that's why MADs has given us the "real world proven" samples as a guideline..

It's just a shot in the dark but, I always try to stay withing the minimums of the samples in the lower rpm and load areas..

Help me out here John!

Waiting on your guidance John!!

Help me out here John!

I am not able to look at the sample tune; however, it seems that the discussion is about low end duration/pressure.

That being said there are few reasons to adjust the duration values below 2800 rpms, and even less below 1500. I would put those values at stock, not sample (not even sure if the sample has them adjusted right not).

Does anyone else own an SSR think its rediculous that we purchased the more expensive tuner sold by smarty and we seem be punished for it.

I began the 2 hours process of transferring someone's S06 tune over to my UDC for SSR and then it hit me why the **** did I pay $150 some more for the SSR over the S06 when I can't even compare S06 tunes in UDC.

I get it if you don't want the JR or S06 owners comparing and copying SSR UDC tunes, but there is no reason that the JR & S06 files need to be locked from SSR owners.

This is a great product but lately all it has done is left me frustrated and shaking my head. I would have been alot happier if Smarty had left UDC unreleased until some more thought had been put into it.

I work at a performance diesel shop and have people ask for UDC all the time but at this point there is nooo way I will deal with the headache, heaven forbid someone came back and wanted a tune changed or something.

-Copy & Past needed
-Timing Calculator needed
-Ability to use number pad to enter values
-Backwards Compatibility for SSR owners to compare JR & S06 files
-Backwards Compatibility for S06 owners to compare JR files

These are the 5 things I'd like to see happen and I guess until something changes I'll be leaving my truck alone or ditching UDC and going back to tuning with the SSR, at least that didn't take up half of my day every time someone else wants to share a tune.

If I come across as bitter or unreasonable than I apologize that's not my intention, I'm just an incredibly frustrated customer that wishes the product I purchased was better, maybe one day it will be.

I am not sure you are penalized for it, you get to run more timing and rail pressure if needed, in addition the base tune is more geared towards racing. If you do not need those items then run an S06.

Nothing is comparable between tuners, up or down in tuner size.

Copy and paste would be great, and would save all of us a LOT of time.

There is a timing calculator available, just not from mads. It's in the Smarty forum for download.

Products have to start somewhere, if MADS waited until it was a 100% solution it wouldn't ever be released and even with the few current complaints trucks are running far better than they were pre-UDC.

I am not able to look at the sample tune; however, it seems that the discussion is about low end duration/pressure.

That being said there are few reasons to adjust the duration values below 2800 rpms, and even less below 1500. I would put those values at stock, not sample (not even sure if the sample has them adjusted right not).

Yes, his above posted sample tune is below stock in the first couple of rows on the duration map and the first few columns and lower rpms areas of the pressure map..

I have found that the UDC sample tunes and stock cells are almost identical below 50ish% load area 0.0 to 3500 rpm..

I put everything to sample tune 30 below 50 percent! What I don't understand is all my numbers were higher not lower in those cells?? Am I reading them wrong? I'll post the adjusted tune in a minute! Seems to still have the buck at 0 load - 2000rpm but not as bad!?

This is your Pressure Map compared to 30, this is the area you are below the sample 30.. Your Duration is above sample 30, but like John mentioned you should be very close to stock/sample below 1500 rpm and see if it helps the surging..

Dangerous06FuelMap.jpg

OK so pink is mine and blue is sample 30 right?! Not sure how I got there I don't remember raising pressure that high but I reset it to sample 30 settings and will see what happens! As far as duration I dropped it below 50%

with all the constant driving, testing, tuning, don't forget to give the setup every chance it can to run as well as it can....... filtration can be a help here. I picked up some pep and dropped egt a touch this past week without touching the tune, replaced 6 year old airdog filters, and cleaned the air filter as well. what kind of boost are you seeing at wot? 1400 surprises me, cruising 70 mph, 8 psi 800 egt, roll into about 2/3rds throttle and boost goes to 60 psi, 1150 egt, not enough road to go wot, but giving it more gets hazey and egt barely climbs.

Back