Smarty UDC Initial Impressions

UDC 2003 HO Stock Maps

AH - I know my truck is an 2003 but my stock timing MAP looks so different its scary... Looking at your smooth modified one it looks like I have to do a complete make over..

Attachments

• Timing_Stock.jpg
    Timing_Stock.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Rail_psi_Stock.jpg
    Rail_psi_Stock.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Duration_Stock.jpg
    Duration_Stock.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 0
of coarse your timming is different.. Your injectors are different and use a different spray angle. Your spray angle and timing has to do with nox as does ours.

I realize that but I didn't think the area's where the high timing is would be so different. His (low load/1400-2400 rpm) has a bunch of timing same for his high load low RPM area's. I have almost no timing in either area's. I just didn't think it would be obscenely different. I can't way too play..

So, how do you take a screen shot of your USC maps? I would like to post my maps also..

I hit print screen, and then post/edit it in paint and upload to photobucket.

Screenshot if using Win7 you can use Snipping Tool which is part of the OS.
SnagIT is a 3rd party option that I prefer but both will be much easier than the PrintScreen method we all had to use when there was only XP.

Well I got my Smarty Sr yesterday, so instead of sleeping I stared at UDC all night. I had already built a tune in the timing calculator, so I just had to copy it over (really want a copy/paste function). I made some minor tweaks once I could see it in the UDC map (Excel graphs aren't as easy to read/manipulate) and it's done.

With my new rail pressure map the timing map is smother.

Here is the timing with the stock pressure.

UDCtimingJr.jpg

Here is my current timing, as you can see less minor peaks within the map, all based on pressure.

UDCtiming.jpg

As I have said before without knowing what my pressure/duration tables look like the timing numbers are irrelevant.

Ah - How does this timing table work? Its it based on rail pressure Map? How does your timing map tie into other tables?

The timing map isn't based on anything, as far as the ECM is concerned. The ECM uses the figure in the map for when to start the main injection event.

The pressure and duration tables are referenced to determine the desired pulse width.
Here is an example. At 2000 rpms and 100% load the OEM tune commands a 20,885 psi. Based on the duration table (the modified labels one I posted) we know that at 100% load and 20,885 psi the pulse width is going to be a 2126us pulse. Then based on rpms we know that the crank takes 83us to go 1°, so 2126/83 is a 25.6° injection event. So when do you want to inject the fuel, lets say 50% BTC and 50% ATDC, so 25.6°*.5=12.8°. So we would put 12.8° in the timing table.

That's how timing and pressure/duration effect each other, and even thou the %age of BTDC:ATDC is the same on those two timing charts they look different. One also has to extrapolate as the duration table doesn't have all the possible pressure/load combinations.

Some examples I started out with Revo 9 Sample and modified the Maps..

Revo 9 Timing Modified

Nov22RevoTiming.png

Revo 9, Timing in Pink

Nov22Revo9TimingPink.png

Revo 9, Rail Pressure Modified OEM Max

Nov22Revo9OEMMaxRP.png

Revo 9, Rail Pressure in Pink

Nov22Revo9RPPink.png

Example of the Ratio Spreadsheet.. I know ya don't have Compounds but you can put your DP, Boost and the other data in there.. You can really see whats going on with the WG and then dial it in.. I use it to dial in my tunes also..

I don't know maybe UDC can log all that for ya.. Just offering if ya want it..

EDITED: Just and FYI, I'm using "AFE's new WG Actuator, which has a much heavier spring (40lbs.).. It has really improved the performance of my compounds and how the WG works.. I adjusted it to the optimum performance using the chart/spreadsheet..

Corrected the picture link

2012-08-26_18-57-11_232.jpg

2012-08-26_18-57-43_631.jpg

The timing map isn't based on anything, as far as the ECM is concerned. The ECM uses the figure in the map for when to start the main injection event.

The pressure and duration tables are referenced to determine the desired pulse width.
Here is an example. At 2000 rpms and 100% load the OEM tune commands a 20,885 psi. Based on the duration table (the modified labels one I posted) we know that at 100% load and 20,885 psi the pulse width is going to be a 2126us pulse. Then based on rpms we know that the crank takes 83us to go 1°, so 2126/83 is a 25.6° injection event. So when do you want to inject the fuel, lets say 50% BTC and 50% ATDC, so 25.6°*.5=12.8°. So we would put 12.8° in the timing table.

That's how timing and pressure/duration effect each other, and even thou the %age of BTDC:ATDC is the same on those two timing charts they look different. One also has to extrapolate as the duration table doesn't have all the possible pressure/load combinations.

Where did you get this information? is this timing calculator something you created? I would like some of this info, it would be very helpful. also something i noticed with UDC is for some reason it wont let me raise rail pressure in the 12-20% area. its like it has a limp mode and goes back to stock RP in that area. i have an edge CS to watch load and RP, and it goes from 10-12K to 6-8K like i flicked a switch. it will stay that way untill i reload the tune, then its fine for a couple minutes of driving and back to the same old crap. any ideas? the reason i wanted to raise it down there is because my truck has a constant haise cruzing down the road, always has. i think it works great if it would just do what i want it to. before it goes stupid, the haise is gone.

Yes I built a timing calculator. I found various versions online for Cummins/Duramax and EFI Live and took some idea's and then made my own.

Not sure on the RP, may email the MADS crew.

Looks like I got the 03/04 low load problem. Max load % on a 5th gear pull was 71.4%. Guess ill just mess within those tables.

Looks like I got the 03/04 low load problem. Max load % on a 5th gear pull was 71.4%. Guess ill just mess within those tables.

I would not make that assumption without testing. Just for testing I would set up a rail map, that limits max rail pressure to say 17K down below 75% load. Then modify the map to ramp up to 23K above that. Take it for a drive and watch your rail pressure gauge.

The reason I say this is that if I remember correctly, the ECM using the full map, just doesn't report the load correctly. Try it and make sure though.

Paul

Last edited:
Thanks Paul, i'll give it a shot. If that's the case I won't be able to use the gauge at all or just at 71% and up?

Alright so I went out with my reduced rail pressure tune. It was VERY smooth, I am not sure if that's from the lower pressure or from the more stable pressure.

So my cruise load was up just a little, but it was cold and windy so that could be part of it. What I did notice is that I had about 1-1.5 psi more boost cruising and EGT's were up a hair. I guess the longer pulse width creates more hot exhaust and thus more boost.

I am in the middle of adding some pressure back. I purposely went quite low (under 14K at 20% load at 2000 rpms) to see how it would react, and am now back to a bit more pressure.

Based on the help with spooling I am leaving the pressure low below 1600 rpms, as it was quite noticeable on spool.

John, I'm sending you a sample tune in a few hours.. I'm quit impressed with its driving manners and power..

Just a thought, but I wonder if torque management plays a role in load%? At 100% load I have it ramped up to 75%. Either way I made a rp map to test load %.

Back