Smarty UDC Initial Impressions

That 12.8° is a 50:50 split, where you go from there is up to you.

I forgot to add, that a calculator is simply a starting point, not an ending point. You may or may not have to adjust your timing values from what calc gives you. It's a reference and a guide, not a rule.

OK Thanks John!

Cruise mileage is something I have been messing with nearly the entire time. I have gone the full gammet on retarded vs advanced for cruising. With the stock rail pressure map I really had to drop my timing back from stock at 1000-1800 to keep the rattle down. Now that I have a Sr I am re-attacking my cruise timing from 1600-2400. I have smoothed and lowered the cruise rail pressure and I can now bump the timing back up and not rattle! My cruise EGT's also went up a bunch with the lower rail pressure, and I have started bringing them back down now.

I'll report back when I know more, but I am excited as I think I should be able to squeak just a little better economy out of it, not to mention lower cruise EGT's.

Well I was up till midnight! Hopefully this new improved tune is better than the rattle bucket I made yesterday! I think writing in the numbers would be easier than up and down arrows is there a way? Why does it matter if you have a 06 pod or SSR seems they are for the same engine so the graphs should work between the models? Anybody? Just an open thought on comparing graphs between users!

I ask Brian on the Smarty info thread about having the copy and paste feature and to see if there was a way to enable writing numbers into the tables.. Brain said he will look into it..

I'm on the right track now! Smooth and hard drive!Just two issues:
Cruising At 2000 RPM 16 load I'm currently at +4 timing My milage was miserable at 16mpg Which way should I go? I also have timing rattle at 41 load 2500-3000 rpm. I assume it's to high in the timing there?!

Generally I would increase for mileage, I can't see your sig but if 2004.5-2007 years the timing Marco has 7-8's in cruise area. Rattle generally means to much timing..

Last edited:
Why is it that tunes from the SSR or POD 06 drop timing from 2800rpm and up and every graph made on here continues the timing up to maximum rpm?

Yeah my SSR sample graphs keeps going up. The low load ones go up and down but the ones that matter just go up.

Holy crap very impressed right now did a new tune with timing maxed at 20 and 8 at cruise gave me 19mpg this morning. slight rattle at take off from a stop but accel was awesome push back in the seat and slight haze. Turbo spool is faster than ever before which is great for a 64! Now if I can figure out how to take a snap shot I'll post my graph! Any help with that?!

Holy crap very impressed right now did a new tune with timing maxed at 20 and 8 at cruise gave me 19mpg this morning. slight rattle at take off from a stop but accel was awesome push back in the seat and slight haze. Turbo spool is faster than ever before which is great for a 64! Now if I can figure out how to take a snap shot I'll post my graph! Any help with that?!

For a snap shot you can hit "ALT+Prnt Scrn" Print screen is a little button on the top right of your keyboard. Then open Paint and paste it into there, then upload the picture you made with photobucket.

Or if you want to post up your tune as a sample, in UDC hit File, then export sample.

for a snap shot you can hit "alt+prnt scrn" print screen is a little button on the top right of your keyboard. Then open paint and paste it into there, then upload the picture you made with photobucket.

Or if you want to post up your tune as a sample, in udc hit file, then export sample.

thanks!

I know this question has already been answered and I apologize for asking it again but how do you zoom in on the actual graphs? I couldn't remember which thread and page the answer was on and can't find it.

Found out the duration table is very important for smoke! Just kidding! It does help to reduce and eliminate low end smoke on hard take offs!

Back