SmartyResource

If a person ordered the UDC dongle and tunes with it thru his S-06 then decides to upgrade to a SSR on the same truck will his current UDC dongle/license be used or will he have to purchase something new?

Ryan

I asked the same question from Jr to Sr, and was told that the current dongle would work. The dongle becomes VIN locked, not tuner locked.

and it looks like Bob was faster typing than I was...

Ok Here's your first problem: Unable to put UDC on my smarty SSR. I know it's something dumb but I have read for the last 2 hours and can't seem to upgrade my ssr to udc HELP! I downloaded the setup exe but when I open the UDC it's read only I have both the dongle and ssr plugged in. How do i upload the udc to my smarty SSR?

Brian is really the person to help you, but...

You must insert the dongle into the USB port before starting the UDC software. When you insert the dongle a green LED will briefly flash, and your computer will install driver software for the dongle. This normally only takes a few seconds, but you need to wait until it does happen before starting the UDC software.

What SSR version do you have installed on your Smarty? In order for the Smarty to work with UDC it much have a software version installed that starts with a U. I think that the current version is USS01C.

Is the Smarty VIN locked to your truck? To be VIN locked it cannot be set back to stock. If it isn't VIN locked there is a procedure of how to "register" the Smarty to the vehicle, in the UDC quick start guide. One or the other MUST take place.

Did you read the stock software from the Smarty? This is done from the Smarty menu item in the UDC software. This is the software that you will modify and write back to the Smarty.

From the error you described I think the first thing I mentioned is probably the cause. I think the other items would only cause problems once you have it out of demo mode. Brian is really the one to help, but I hate to see people struggle with a new toy! :)

Paul

Ok Here's your first problem: Unable to put UDC on my smarty SSR. I know it's something dumb but I have read for the last 2 hours and can't seem to upgrade my ssr to udc HELP! I downloaded the setup exe but when I open the UDC it's read only I have both the dongle and ssr plugged in. How do i upload the udc to my smarty SSR?

X2 but mine appers to be vin locked even though I put back to stock and now a Error #42 program aborted and wont do anything else including load my other tuner back in to go to a race in 2 hours!
MF:soap:

For the SSR?

-The first release will be for the S06PoD ( Covers the 5.9L CR from 2003 to 2007).
The SSR version is in the works and will follow shortly after the initial release. All other versions for the VP and 6.7L
trucks will follow ASAP. It's a lot of work...

Not to contradict you, but the SJR, S06, and SSR are all UDC capable, and have been since at least may. I have been tuning the Jr since April, even thou it wasn't listed as the first release.

May 18, 2012 - Software update
Smarty S06-PoD, Smarty JR and Smarty SSR: All 5.9L tuning softwares have been totally revised! Starting from this version all 5.9L softwares are now UDC capable. For more informations click here!

The info Paul gave you is correct.

Have you been asked to assign a VIN to your Dongle yet?

If your still having issues then update the SSR, make sure the truck is programmed, and the read stock from Smarty with UDC. That should ask you to assign the VIN to the Dongle. If all that works, the last step is "Write file to Smarty".. that's it.

Last edited:
the dongle never lit up or asked for the vin. I'm pretty stuck right now and I don't want to put my truck back to stock. Someone with computer skills call me I followed the mads instructions but it never asked to restart the computer and the udc is read only can't get into the SSR?
Thanks Andy 858-395-8289

I think my main issue is the udc program doesn't see my smarty. How do I update the smarty with UDC without wiping out everything thats already on there or do I have to just write down my numbers and put the truck to stock?

Plug the Dongle into the USB Port
Plug the SSR into a different USB Port (truck must not be set to stock)
Open UDC (must be done 3rd) (will say basic at the top, no demo)
Open the Smarty Menu, open Smarty Upgrade Manager, hit detect, and upgrade if needed.
Then on the Smarty Menu, select read stock from Smarty.. that should do it.
Tune away...

You can upgrade the SSR without setting back to stock, and it should retain your settings. I would write them down to be safe, but no need. The Smarty update manager is the easiest way to upgrade it, see above. If not the old fashioned way works, again no need to go back to stock.

ok I just uploaded the latest SSR update and it still can't find the smarty model "does not have UDC firmware?!! I tryed to find firmware but it was empty?
Help!

Plug the Dongle into the USB Port
Plug the SSR into a different USB Port (truck must not be set to stock)
Open UDC (must be done 3rd) (will say basic at the top, no demo)
Open the Smarty Menu, open Smarty Upgrade Manager, hit detect, and upgrade if needed.
Then on the Smarty Menu, select read stock from Smarty.. that should do it.
Tune away...

You can upgrade the SSR without setting back to stock, and it should retain your settings. I would write them down to be safe, but no need. The Smarty update manager is the easiest way to upgrade it, see above. If not the old fashioned way works, again no need to go back to stock.

I was missing that step "upgrade manager"
Thanks Bud you saved me!

I have to go to an appointment back in one hour! I'm so pissed I think I screwed it up when I downloaded the latest update to the smarty!

yeah 4.111 ss01c still can't hook up to it! So you think putting it in the truck will update the smarty?

some how unplugging the smarty from the computer fixed it? It asked for vin lock and I said yes and now I'm looking at my maps which look like chinese to me time to do some reading and learning!