some tech help plz.....

you'll hear alot of sled pullers have drive pressure gauges. Lenny from DDP was suggesting using a drive pressure gauge on my buddies truck. i know that rich (unbroken) was running one on his truck there is a thread on here about the drive pressure gauges and how they are set up. i'm thinking down the road i will be adding a drive pressure gauge to my truck as well.

i would also check your oil and oil filter for any metal shavings to make sure that a bearing didn't shred in the turbo if there is shavings in the oil this could tear up the new turbo pretty quickly.

i think that the drive pressure is what caused the oil to be all over the drivers side of the engine due to the blow by the oil in the exhaust was oil leaking out of the turbo after the drive pressure was reduced to below what the oil pressure was. all of the oil is most likely due to the seal in the turbo. it doesn't sound like you had a head gasket or freeze plug blow. if it was the freeze plug you would have antifreeze pouring out of the back of the block. and as for the head gasket you would see either oil int he antifreeze or antifreeze in the oil. i would change the turbo and exhaust manifold and start it up with fresh oil run it for a hundred miles or so if nothing sound weird. then change out the oil again and see if you are getting any metal shavings out of the oil. also let the oil sit and see if it separates into oil and antifreeze. kinda the same thing you do when you install a reman. motor

thanks Skynyrd and everyone else that replied. It been a big help. Guess that's what I'll do, install the new components including injector and cross my fingers :drive:

just make sure you change the oil and filter then run it 100-150 miles then change the oil and filter again. check the oil and filter for metal shavings. if you have a strong magnet i would put it on the bottom of the oil pan near the drain this will help to remove some of the metal out of the oil if there is any in it.

SKYNYRD said:
just make sure you change the oil and filter then run it 100-150 miles then change the oil and filter again. check the oil and filter for metal shavings. if you have a strong magnet i would put it on the bottom of the oil pan near the drain this will help to remove some of the metal out of the oil if there is any in it.

10-4. I haven't noticed anything in the oil at the moment though. I got a nice gob of it on my hands and it was just slimy oil.

I guess a overnight oil analyze could be helpful too.

yeah what you can do is put some in a glass jar and let it sit over night that tend to let every thing settle and you can see whats at the bottom of it and if something separates

what are the chances oil is blowing by the piston and it not being ahead gasket ? Would I see oil in all the exhaust ports or just those affected. Or am I totally off base ?

if it was oil blowing by the piston rings you would more than likely see it burning blueish white smoke once you put the new turbo on and it would only be in the affected exhaust ports. you would also have diesel going into the oil.

I'd pull an oil sample and send it off the a lab like Blackstone for a quick analysis. Cheap insurance and it'll tell you exactly what, if any, harmful stuff is in your oil.

when i blew my hg on my 2000, i blew the front left corner, no fluid mixing, just a bigass oil leak, which the fan blew all over the motor. this is all due to drive psi. i doubt its a hg, with studs and the mls gasket, as long as all of your studs are properly torqued. start with an oil analysis, replace the turbo, and see if you hear any bad music. id keep a piece of cardboard handy incase of runaway

cardboard.... runaway ?? you lost me there. Thanks for the opinion :)

cardboard is for covering your intake in case you start pumping oil and your engine runs away. If you give a diesel a chance to do it, it would run on your blood. I've been watching your thread and I agree with McRat. Change your turbo, oil, and anythingelse you were going to upgrade and crank it up. Everything you have stated on here doesn't seem out of the ordinary when you fry a turbo. sounds like you overspun it and blew the ring on the exducer side. oil will go everywhere. backward forward depending on engine RPM. See it everyday. good luck, and be a little nicer to that brand new truck.

or you could take it back to stock and get it under warranty LOL
sootman is right about the carboard and running away.

The cardboard to block the intake of the turbo. No air kills a runaway. I'd use something more substantial, maybe a pie dish or a piece of sheet metal.

sheet metal would work as long as you could get it to seal. at least you know it wouldnt get sucked in. youd be suprised on how little air a runaway can survive on

Ahh, just chuck a shop rag at the turbo... may not kill the engine, but it'll definitely calm her down some. :hehe:

Amish Elegance said:
Ahh, just chuck a shop rag at the turbo... may not kill the engine, but it'll definitely calm her down some. :hehe:

or if you have any bills or files that need shredded, turbos work great for that too! :evil

sootman said:
cardboard is for covering your intake in case you start pumping oil and your engine runs away. If you give a diesel a chance to do it, it would run on your blood. I've been watching your thread and I agree with McRat. Change your turbo, oil, and anythingelse you were going to upgrade and crank it up. Everything you have stated on here doesn't seem out of the ordinary when you fry a turbo. sounds like you overspun it and blew the ring on the exducer side. oil will go everywhere. backward forward depending on engine RPM. See it everyday. good luck, and be a little nicer to that brand new truck.

Thanks sootman. I think you're right and it's really not a melted.

I thought these truck could handle some abuse ? I am very nice to my truck but, it seems to have let me down. I wasn't expecting the turbo to go much less a cylinder. The turbo only ever saw 40 maybe 42psi in it's life. It has seen the heat though so I kinda expected it. I know I'm running boxes but, the Smarty is pretty mild compared to the TST and I've only even ran the TST on 2/0.

It may look like a street queen but....if I'm paying for it... I'm using it :ft:

triton said:
Thanks sootman. I think you're right and it's really not a melted.

I thought these truck could handle some abuse ? I am very nice to my truck but, it seems to have let me down. I wasn't expecting the turbo to go much less a cylinder. The turbo only ever saw 40 maybe 42psi in it's life. It has seen the heat though so I kinda expected it. I know I'm running boxes but, the Smarty is pretty mild compared to the TST and I've only even ran the TST on 2/0.

It may look like a street queen but....if I'm paying for it... I'm using it :ft:

Smarty is mild?? What setting? The smarty can make what, 170-190hp over stock. The TST is 180ish. Stacking boxes on the stock charger kills stock chargers...they're barely enough for factory, let alone another 100+hp!

Chris