Spool Flange

Have you had anyone melt a turbine housing yet? It's been suggested that undivided spacers have made it easier to do this.

How would this effect a setup that already surges? Would it move the surge to a lower boost number or rpm range? Have you done any testing with any t3 or t4 ball bearing garrets? How did they respond? I am very interested in one of your pieces, but right now I can shift around the surge and keep it out of it.

I'm on the list to get one ordered in T4 when they have some available. Will see how it works with a GTX4202R I just installed.

Going to be alot of good information coming from recipients of this first batch including myself. I can't wait!

Have you had anyone melt a turbine housing yet? It's been suggested that undivided spacers have made it easier to do this.

If you look at the pictures, which there are many, of the spool flange you will see that the divider in the turbine housing is not exposed to the hot exhaust gases with the butterfly open or closed. The only portion of the divider exposed is in the flange itself and with this flange is made of inconel so it is unlikely there will be any issues there whatsoever.

How would this effect a setup that already surges? Would it move the surge to a lower boost number or rpm range? Have you done any testing with any t3 or t4 ball bearing garrets? How did they respond? I am very interested in one of your pieces, but right now I can shift around the surge and keep it out of it.

If you base it off the turbine map using the spool valve should lower your turbine efficiency down while the valve is closed. This will move you into another part of the map, plus also now drive pressure will change which will also effect this. So yes in theory it should cure low end throttle surge.

Right now my surge is at approx 25psi with engine speed below 2k rpm. My turbo its a gt4094r hybrid. I would like to get it to spool a little faster but if it is going to move surge into low end/low boost I will have to weigh the odds.

I would say it is tough to say. Kind of along the lines of what DRTurbo said is that the turbine will be driven harder at low boost in which you know surge comes from a few things one being the compressor stalling due to not enough torque on the turbine to keep it from stalling (atleast so far as I understand it). With one of these spool flanges much more torque will be delivered to the turbine at low sub 20psi boost conditions.

Right now my surge is at approx 25psi with engine speed below 2k rpm. My turbo its a gt4094r hybrid. I would like to get it to spool a little faster but if it is going to move surge into low end/low boost I will have to weigh the odds.

What is hybrid mean?? Is the CHRA stuffed in a smaller frame?

I would say it is tough to say. Kind of along the lines of what DRTurbo said is that the turbine will be driven harder at low boost in which you know surge comes from a few things one being the compressor stalling due to not enough torque on the turbine to keep it from stalling (atleast so far as I understand it). With one of these spool flanges much more torque will be delivered to the turbine at low sub 20psi boost conditions.

That does happen....but also surge comes from the comp wheel developing more air at a certain shaft rpm then the motor can consume at that given rpm. That is where you get some serious break the shaft surge. Happens alot on our tractor pullers.

If you look at the pictures, which there are many, of the spool flange you will see that the divider in the turbine housing is not exposed to the hot exhaust gases with the butterfly open or closed. The only portion of the divider exposed is in the flange itself and with this flange is made of inconel so it is unlikely there will be any issues there whatsoever.

Nope, didn't look at the many pictures, sorry.

My only issue is my header was a t4i not a t4 so I may have to weld re drill and re tap it to run one of these. It's always something sigh.

First 10pcs of the T4 will be shipping next week. Jose and I are thinking about selling it under the name of "Batmoflap", but since this is not a copy of another person's design, we may avoid that.

Weston, when are the batmovillanflanges shipping you're killing us!? Hit us with an update if ya can?!

There getting closer each day. For those of you who are planning to attend the NHRDA world finals in Topeka we will have some there in our booth.

There getting closer each day. For those of you who are planning to attend the NHRDA world finals in Topeka we will have some there in our booth.

Will those be available to purchase or just display pieces?

fittment issues?

So, what engines/manifolds/chargers have these been put on and tested for fit up?

I ordered my flange a while ago...but now with the new parts going on, its not looking good. :doh:

T4 angled Steed Speed with s472, sits close to the shock tower as is.

Thoughts? :pop: