Starting My P-Pump Swap This Weekend!

bcool

Too Drunk To Drive
I finally have everything together and i'm ready to go. I'll post up pictures in this thread as im going along. It'll be swapped into my 99' with and automatic and it will be, for the most part, pretty much stock. The pump already has a #8 Plate in it and i'll be gutting the AFC.

First request. I've seen that a few people of people that have built brackets from the stock 24v throttle bracket to the P-Pump. IF someone has a photo of this that would be spectacular. Just to give me an idea of where to start fab'ing.

Second question. I see that people pull the ECU out of the way and remount it. What would be the repercussions of just removing it entirely. I would like to retain functionality of cruise control, grid heater, a/c, and auto tranny.

Last question (for now): I was reading and for my street driven setup I was thinking of around 21* of timing advance. Not looking for crazy numbers yet. Just some good power with some good mileage. I dont do a lot of towing.

Thanks,
Brendan

I should have said it was already gutted from the previous owner.

If you will be mostly stock you won't need that much timing. There is a thread in here with the pics you need but I can't remember witch one.

Yeah the one thread i saw where someone was talking about it, the person never followed through on posting pictures.

I have seen the pics you want here. Also you will need to keep the ECM hooked up, everything runs through it.

Click the link in my sig, I got pics there of my bastardized 12v/24v linkage setup. It was all just so I didn't have to buy a 12v throttle cable. The irony of it all, my original cable is frayed to the point of sticking the throttle, need a new one anyway.

No thanks. I did mine and gotta do another truck this weekend. LOL

I'm envious just had to replace the vp on my 99, but I needed the truck back ASAP as my girlfriends truck was broke down too. If mine ever goes out again it will get p pumped.

Yeah...I'm calling this swap preventative maintenance.

I have everything minus the cam gear out but i've noticed that my truck has a cam sensor and it was technically a 98 built truck. Can i just get away without running it???

All VP trucks have cam sensors. They don't do anything in the 98-00 trucks.

Kinda confused on what i'm supposed to use here. I installed the main seal from the front cover kit. I'm assuming i pull the plastic sleeve off before i install it. It also came with that metal ring and another seal of about the same size. The instructions the kit gave were very vague.

frontcover.jpg

Just use the new main seal that is all I used. Keep the plastic sleeve in it though it is what let's the seal slide over the crank without tearing it up. It will stick on the end of the crank and slide itself out.

Just make sure you get it on right the first time. I put my new seal on and messed something up, not sure what but it leaks and now i gotta a new seal in. Not really a big deal but make sure the seal is set in the cover straight and at the correct depth

Make sure crank is clean and dry. Slide the plastic sleeve onto the crank and then push the cover all the way one. Pull the sleeve out. Install the duck seal onto the shaft, then the balancer.

Make sure crank is clean and dry. Slide the plastic sleeve onto the crank and then push the cover all the way one. Pull the sleeve out. Install the duck seal onto the shaft, then the balancer.

Is the duck seal one of the ones in the picture i posted or is it the other fat rubber seal that was in the box?

BTW i dont think i've taken time aside to thank you guys for help. So...thanks! hah

Its the black piece in the pic in the middle.

Not sure what other seal would have come in the box. Pic?

You install the plastic sleeve fat side inboard then put the cover on, that way there is not a chance to roll the seal, if your crank is grooved you can compensate for it by adjusting the depth of the seal, you have about 1/4" to work with.

If you put a gasket on the cover and RTV it to the cover while keeping the plastic sleeve handy you can pull the cover later and install it again without putting a new seal or gasket on, I set every one up I work on like this.

The black seal is a dust seal.

Jim

I've never gotten that black seal in the 2 kits I've bought from Cummins and this weekend my buddy bought the speedy sleeve front seal from cummins and it came with the seal, crank sleeve, but no seal driver.