Starting My P-Pump Swap This Weekend!

Heres the 3 others that came in the kit. I'm assuming the metal piece is the seal driver. Theres a smaller black seal that looks like it'll fit around the shaft but isnt big enough to fill the diameter of the front cover sleeve and then there's the big rubber seal which looks like it probably goes in front of the seal as the dust cover. If the fat side of the sleeve goes towards the motor how the heck do i get it off after im done, do i cut it?

Here's a picture of the linkage im working on at the moment. I'll have finished up pictures tomorrow.

linkage.jpg

Oh and whats all this i hear about having to buy another oil fitting for the pump? I transfered mine to the other side (you can see it hiding under the bracket on the right side) it looks like its already a restricted fitting. Is there something im missing here?

Heres the 3 others that came in the kit. I'm assuming the metal piece is the seal driver. Theres a smaller black seal that looks like it'll fit around the shaft but isnt big enough to fill the diameter of the front cover sleeve and then there's the big rubber seal which looks like it probably goes in front of the seal as the dust cover. If the fat side of the sleeve goes towards the motor how the heck do i get it off after im done, do i cut it?

Yes, the metal piece is the driver. Bang the seal in from the front of the cover. Bottom out the driver, and the seal will square to the cover. The sleeve will only slide onto the crank to where it narrows down. Then it stops. Should be able to pull it out by hand. I use pliers, instead of pissing around with it. The first black seal you talk about sounds like the dust seal that goes after the crank seal. Not sure what the second one you are talking about. Pics?

Oh and whats all this i hear about having to buy another oil fitting for the pump? I transfered mine to the other side (you can see it hiding under the bracket on the right side) it looks like its already a restricted fitting. Is there something im missing here?

Its not restricted enough.

look inside the case where the oil fitting was originally. You will see how restricted it should be.

will it hurt running the truck for about a week till i get the new port?

Actually I'll figure out the diameter of the old oil port. fill in the old fitting with a bit of weld. Then i'll redrill. Should do just the trick. Thanks for helping me catch this guys.

Just make sure you get it on right the first time. I put my new seal on and messed something up, not sure what but it leaks and now i gotta a new seal in. Not really a big deal but make sure the seal is set in the cover straight and at the correct depth

use that metal ring as an install tool to set the depth. then discard it

I used the depth tool to put it in. So it musta tore or something or not be on the cover 100% straight.

I almost have her all buttoned back up BUT that stupid little bold on the P-pump is giving me HELL (You know the one i'm talking about). Any tips or tricks you might be able to offer me here. I can get it fired up tomorrow pending no more issues. Knocks on wood.

so any word on what the diameter of the oil feed is suppose to be? I got the wrong fitting on mine but havent really drove my truck yet and i know its getting to much oil and get it so its right.

I almost have her all buttoned back up BUT that stupid little bold on the P-pump is giving me HELL (You know the one i'm talking about). Any tips or tricks you might be able to offer me here. I can get it fired up tomorrow pending no more issues. Knocks on wood.

if your talking about the 4th bolt i say dont worry about it.I know a couple people that just run 3 and even Eric Brown at Browns diesel said dont worry about it to much of a PITA to deal with. just make sure the other 3 are on snug

If you got skinny fingers like me, I can fish my fingers from the underside to get it screwed on. You can get a ratchet that you twist the handle (like a screwdriver) and it will turn the socket. Or if you put your oil line on the front (sounds like you are), should be able to get at it with extensions and a universal. My oil line is between the pump and the block, so its a real pain to get that last nut.

if your talking about the 4th bolt i say dont worry about it.I know a couple people that just run 3 and even Eric Brown at Browns diesel said dont worry about it to much of a PITA to deal with. just make sure the other 3 are on snug

After 2 hours of using every possible combination of swivels, extensions, and wrenches I went with "ahhhh f#*% it" option.

Also I've heard of just tapping the solenoid power onto the grid heater relay. It seems like a great idea in theory any issues with this? The only thing i can think of is that when its hot outside i'm not sure if they kick on at all.