Street 12 valves: timing

48snowman48

Plowboy
Where are you guys running your timing? and why? Street trucks with some towing/hauling and some playing.

Too many sled pullers around here so they all like tons of it.. 17.5* for a truck that is a regular driver and tows seems to be just fine for me. Much more then that and the truck starts getting bad habits.

I'm at 22.5* on my 94. its a weekend toy and sledpuller but I could drive it everyday if I wanted to.

IMHO, i think that with a 180 pump, and 145 deg. angle injectors, 20deg. of timing seems to be good. it is a happy medium for HP, and torque. thats where my timing is at, and i dont plan on changing it.

Wes

i have mine at 15.5* only reason is to reduce wear and tear on the engine. I want it to last as long as possible. it gets louder much past 15* at 17* i didnt like the way it sounded at idle, it just sounded unhealthy and loud so i bumped it back down to 15.5*. Ive got plenty down low and plenty up top. By the way unless you just want to squeeze every ounce of hp out of your truck why put the wear and tear on the internals?

im at 20.75* right now. will probably go more with studs and bigger injectors.

Garrett

26 degrees, daily driver occasional drag racer. It will haze a decent amount with that timing. I need all the help I can get above 3000rpm with stock heads/cam and 4.10 gears which is why I like the timing like it is. Head is o-ringed and has new stock bolts torqued in 5-lb increments from round 90 to 140/130ft-lbs.

i am running 20* on my daily driver with everything in my sig. no problems here so far and i am without an intercooler also. i have 10 over gasket with stock bolts tq to 125 with orings.

i am running that as suggested by Weston after a long discussion over the phone.

I ran 20* for a long time and it ran great with my old setup, now I am wanting to set it up differently when I put it back together and will probably only run about 18*

really surprised to hear that many folks running at 20 degrees
thought 16.5 was correct for street duties

22* on mine. Could drive it everday. Take it to work and gym few times a week. Other then that I drive 07 usually.

timing depends on what RPM level you're going to be operating in...

and that RPM level depends on what turbo you're using and how fast you cruise on the highway

Mine is at 19° currently. When I send the pump off to get barrels turned and flowed I will have the shop set it at 24°.

16.5 was my setting

mild enough to take a stock HG, good for mileage, and good for towing...

I'm running 20 degrees in my DD. It's the second one listed in my sig.

Im running 16* and have been for about 3 or 4 years, but when i do my head/gasket, it will be getting set at 19* or so at the same time. These little pumps like some timing, and I think it would run a good bit better like that.

Eric