Strongest output option

AHall

Hobbyist
Was wondering the strongest output shaft/setup available. Truck is 2wd, but I couldnt find any billet outputs for 518, 47rh, or 47re. Talked to suncoast and they recommended a th400 output shaft with a machined 4x4 rear housing and seal for slip yoke useage for $1300. So i guess its between stock 2wd, billet 2wd(if they exist), billet 4x4, th400 4x4. Drag racing only truck 4000-4500lbs.

What are you building in the 4000-4500 lb range and how fast do you plan to run?

The stock 47rh output shaft is quite a bit stronger than the other model years. I'm sure it will hold 1800+ ft lbs.

I have yet to have a problem out of a 5900 lbs truck with 2k tq on the stock output. The billet inputs are a different story LOL

i know for a fact that a stock 2wd RH output will break clean when trying to do a boosted launch @ 20psi and accidently lock the converter :doh:

when i was lookin there was a couple places doin the 4wd shaft with housing and a slip yoke

there is billet RE 2wd shafts out there just have to look, gotta run a OD, converter switch and manual VB i think it was cuz there is no gov or speedo gear

Wow, what have you got going on?? that looks like an interesting project in your avatar!

Well building the chassis for 8.5 cert. Not sure how fast it'll end up going tho. Right now I have a 47re 4x4, 2 518s 2wd, and a 727 2wd. Was planning on a non lockup 518 2wd, but after talking to Ernie at suncoast he basically said itd never work unless I rpm'd the hell outta the engine. But pretty sure boneshaker has proven otherwise. Big compounds 13mm very little weight and fat wrinkle walls. I don't wanna be redoing shafts in this thing. Pretty much set on omega convertor shaft and pump. Vb will be trans brake full manual forward.

The suncoast 2wd setup is larger in diameter and billet. far stronger. It uses a 4wd tail housing and a custom bushing and dust seal plate. Uses a th400 output spline. It was strong enough to bend Michael Watkins' driveshaft

Well if 1350 is holdin all ur abuse there probably isnt a reason to go bigger. using spicer ujoints or something else?

you can get a bigger yoke... They're expensive. Mark Williams made a run of them for somebody. You'll have to PM MDW here to get the name of the company. He's got a billet TH400/1480 yoke. It's a stout piece for sure!!

Michael **** so many outputs, he just flat got tired of it and went big. And it's been an absolute non-issue since. Like I said, he bowed a driveshaft on that setup! LOL

Not familiar with him or the driveshaft, but i figure ill save money in the long run by buying the big stuff. Only question now is intermediate. Planning on new stocker. So far im thinking omega input, convertor, oil pump, billet apply lever, dd pan, pistons, band and strut, direct drum, stock intermediate, th400 4x4 output, fexplate, and a fancy yoke.
I started another thread on a shaft and it was mentioned a cutdown stock dodge would work nicely.
Who knew it cost so much money to go fast?

a new factory intermediate will hold up to quite a bit... you can cryo it for extra strength. the factory vs. aftermarket intermediate is up for debate.

Michael snapped two of them and has gone with an aftermarket billet. But the factory are very strong. I've actually seen more problems with aftermarket than factory

Back