Super Stock truck build.

Non of the videos are mine. A friend of mine took some good pics and video, just waiting on him to put them together and posted to YT.

Sorry to hear of all the bad luck. ..and poor machining. Still a beautiful feat of engineering.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Yeah, I'm still happy that it ran as well as it did, all things considered.
So far it looks like it took out both heads, all the pistons, two out of three turbos and the exhaust y pipe and bent one header.
All that and the data system still didn't work right.

I guess this just gives us the opportunity and drive to go on to bigger and better things.
Just wish it would have held up for more than one run, but that's what you get when you play with fire.

Port temps never got above 1400. Drive peaked at 130 and 150 lbs of boost.
The other head didn't blow out but it did crack in the same spot on two other cylinders.
Curtis screwed up on the valve reliefs in the pistons and one of the intake valves are bent on every cylinder. So far, everything that he touched has been fukked up, making him not only crooked, but also a crappy machinist.

Who built the engine, you or him?

Are you that dense? Or did you skip this whole thread? What would it matter anyways?

Sorry to hear that Chris. I was hoping to see it at a big event this year. It ran good when it did run!

I remember mike woods and (dare i say greggypoo) having some issues with a duramax Failing spectacularly in the mustang... Like piston welded to cylinder head type of thing, as well as similar holes through ports you are experiencing. And if i recall correctly, "curtis" was the name of the builder as well...

They upgraded the cooling system significantly and kept an eagle eye on water temps, and didnt have a similar failure since (its now parted and sold).
Maybe comp461 can enlighten us.

We bought the pistons, rods, crank, and heads second hand. The heads were ported but not finish yet as they needed modification to fit the mechanical injectors. The deal was, that they guy I bought them off of had traded Curtis several sets of steel main caps and girdle plates for a set of finished heads. I bought the heads in the middle of the deal and was told to send them to Curtis after I had the injector bores finished. I called Curtis and told him that I was finished, he told me to send them up, he would get me taken care of in about two weeks, he just needed to order in the valves.
Two weeks go by and I call him up to get a status report, he asks me for a payment on half of the parts. I explained to him the deal with the main caps and such to which he says "I'm not obligated to take care of that, that deal was made when I was partners with so and so when I was in the states".
So after spending 4k on a set of finished heads, he wanted another $3,800.00 +/- for parts an assembly because he didn't feel like holdin up his end of the deal.
After screwing me around for another month we had to threaten legal action till he finally sent our heads back to us.
After that, I sent them to SoCal Diesel and paid Guy to finish them out.
He took care of them in a timely fashion and for a fair price.

We assemble our engines but don't have the equipment to do everything in house. Barker Machine did most of our block work and we did all the finishing and setup. We did check clearance on the top of the piston and on one intake and one exhaust valve. Everything had plenty of clearance, except for the other intake valve which wasn't fly cut in the correct location, causing the contact.
The thing is, we didn't move any valves around in the head, there shouldn't be an issue there in the first place.

Last edited:
We bought the pistons, rods, crank, and heads second hand. The heads were ported but not finish yet as they needed modification to fit the mechanical injectors. The deal was, that they guy I bought them off of had traded Curtis several sets of steel main caps and girdle plates for a set of finished heads. I bought the heads in the middle of the deal and was told to send them to Curtis after I had the injector bores finished. I called Curtis and told him that I was finished, he told me to send them up, he would get me taken care of in about two weeks, he just needed to order in the valves.
Two weeks go by and I call him up to get a status report, he asks me for a payment on half of the parts. I explained to him the deal with the main caps and such to which he says "I'm not obligated to take care of that, that deal was made when I was partners with so and so when I was in the states".
So after spending 4k on a set of finished heads, he wanted another $3,800.00 +/- for parts an assembly because he didn't feel like holdin up his end of the deal.
After screwing me around for another month we had to threaten legal action till he finally sent our heads back to us.
After that, I sent them to SoCal Diesel and paid Guy to finish them out.
He took care of them in a timely fashion and for a fair price.

We assemble our engines but don't have the equipment to do everything in house. Barker Machine did most of our block work and we did all the finishing and setup. We did check clearance on the top of the piston and on one intake and one exhaust valve. Everything had plenty of clearance, except for the other intake valve which wasn't fly cut in the correct location, causing the contact.
The thing is, we didn't move any valves around in the head, there shouldn't be an issue there in the first place.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Its very aggrevating.

My question is if you checked the PTV clearance then you should have cought a clearance issue with the piston and valve. (Clay the piston and run it through the motion one time.) Unless it was a know spec'ed engine you have built before. otherwise there is no one to blame for the bent valve but who ever did the assembly or clearance checking, even if the pistons are cut wrong. Thats Blueprinting 101.

Checking 2 of 4 valves is not the best way and im sure you see why now.

Socal heads are well known to be thin in the exhaust ports, this gives some extra flow, but it also weakend the port area a lot and with the 130# of drive psi and heat you have thats exactly why it blew out one one side and was very close to the same on the other.

With that said i have some pistons i can send you and some heads if you need them.

Funny how you can sound like a complete dik yet be seemingly generous all in one post.

Clay the piston and run it through the motion one time.)

With that said i have some pistons i can send you and some heads if you need them.

Same exact process I use. Yes I should checked all 4, live and learn.
Really a few bent valves is pretty minor and I'm planning on raising the CR anyway.
I appreciate the offer but I think I'll just wait till I can get Brodix to answer the phone and go that route.
We will build it better and get it on the dyno before it hits the track again.

Man chris, really sorry to hear of those issues. That sucks, but you'll make it better than it was. It'd be sweet if you could get Brodix to do them. Too bad you couldn't get a place like Atlas to do them.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Its very aggrevating.

My question is if you checked the PTV clearance then you should have cought a clearance issue with the piston and valve. (Clay the piston and run it through the motion one time.) Unless it was a know spec'ed engine you have built before. otherwise there is no one to blame for the bent valve but who ever did the assembly or clearance checking, even if the pistons are cut wrong. Thats Blueprinting 101.

Socal heads are well known to be thin in the exhaust ports, this gives some extra flow, but it also weakend the port area a lot and with the 130# of drive psi and heat you have thats exactly why it blew out one one side and was very close to the same on the other.

Funny how you can sound like a complete dik yet be seemingly generous all in one post.

Agreed.

Same exact process I use. Yes I should checked all 4, live and learn.
Really a few bent valves is pretty minor and I'm planning on raising the CR anyway.
I appreciate the offer but I think I'll just wait till I can get Brodix to answer the phone and go that route.
We will build it better and get it on the dyno before it hits the track again.

It seems as if Mr. Watson knows how to say f$%k off in a nice way. LOL

A few pictures from the other weekend. Still waiting on the video.

D924452D-E892-4D39-B6DE-C2068E8E463A-4175-0000084F807DFFC0.jpg

5F0C0DFC-64F4-4556-B6BC-BE292D36FA82-4175-0000084F7B4A943C.jpg

B4C8B9C0-B2F7-4110-8FB9-8EE5B98FCA48-4175-00000850B9E54D8F.jpg

Got glow?
1E74A584-F025-4907-A672-855175C8D392-4175-00000850B02E3373.jpg

The aftermath
15A1645E-799D-4061-B69A-0353DAED3435-4175-0000084FB7FBBAA4.jpg

Mind to post pics of the valve pockets from the cylinder side?

From my Not-So-Smart phone

There is a baby cheetah loose in your shop. Might want to watch out for that.

All that sex on the table and we're bantering over the endangered feline in the background.
Mike Tyson is in that picture somewhere, I know it! Give him his cat back Chris!

From my Not-So-Smart phone