Sx300-62 secondary

I'm thinking about refabricating my kit aswell using a 3rd gen manifold...

Not sure if a HX60 could be mounted above my HX40W in that configuration though...

Just looking to use a spool flange...

CH, I was talking about that same turbo you decided on the other day to a turbo shop and they were kinda downing it saying the W/G housing was a crappy design for a performance application. The way the w/g and flow to the gate was designed. They mentioned they wouldn't recommend it for a performance build that needed to utilized a lot of w/g control.
I though it was mentioned it only had a single sided w/g port??? Not sure of this hopefully someone can elaborate that knows more than me and can explain it better.

CH, I was talking about that same turbo you decided on the other day to a turbo shop and they were kinda downing it saying the W/G housing was a crappy design for a performance application. The way the w/g and flow to the gate was designed. They mentioned they wouldn't recommend it for a performance build that needed to utilized a lot of w/g control.
I though it was mentioned it only had a single sided w/g port??? Not sure of this hopefully someone can elaborate that knows more than me and can explain it better.

And this is in comparison to using a $800 stainless/steed ported gen2 mani and $600 tial wg set up? Not at all what I am looking for. None of the over the counter BD Twins kits use that set up, II either. Is the wg on the fmw62 worse than the stock 351? Worse than the wg on the tiny BD?

It is only one port and I am near 100% sure it serves both volutes. Drive readings will tell how well the turbo is passing exhaust to the primary. Just need to find some time to repair the copper line of my drive gauge and get it on the truck.

Still waiting on turbos from FI. Gave up on the third gen manifold layout, just finished negotiations with Crazy Carl.... Full stainless build with stainless diesel t4 gen2 manifold. Wondering how much Carl is going to beat me up over the non hx40 outlet? Fingers crossed.

And this is in comparison to using a $800 stainless/steed ported gen2 mani and $600 tial wg set up? Not at all what I am looking for. None of the over the counter BD Twins kits use that set up, II either. Is the wg on the fmw62 worse than the stock 351? Worse than the wg on the tiny BD?

Steed doesn't make a stainless manifold. If they did it would easily cost more than $800. The material alone is more expensive and they'd go through more carbide endmills and those ain't cheap!! Lol

Any pics of the 62? Does the WG serve both volutes. I'm considering replacing my PS64 with this turbo.

Borg Warner ITEC300 Series 38 Turbo PN: 179077

Internally gated .83 a/r t4 housing and 68mm "cupped" also known as "j-style" turbine. You're welcome ;)

Nick,

Thank you for the info and the hours of research you just caused me :rockwoot:

Not to piss in your cheerios as you've been around an likely forgot more than I'll ever know, but I found out some info about those turbos and more specifically the J vs Cupped designs. Apparently they are different yet are being advertised interchangeably.

Reposted from:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.243568358997248.62322.160773747276710&type=3

Here we see the 'high flow' version, with a more pronounced 'cup' to the turbine inducer blade. The trailing edge also has a slightly different design as well.
This design has proven very popular on equal-length, pulse-optimized manifolds, utilizing twin-volute (twin-scroll) turbine housings. However, they work quite well on single-volute housings as well.

272210_243568368997247_6603507_o.jpg

And, shown here, is the 'lower flow' version, with less pronounced 'cup' to the turbine wheel inducer. The trailing edge is a less contoured design. These wheels are typically very effective on single-volute (single-scroll) turbine housing and manifold designs, although they work quite well in twin-volute systems as well.

278372_243568445663906_4427618_o.jpg

Detail close-up of 'lower flow' wheel, showing the lessened 'cup' of the turbine inducer.

271676_243568502330567_458211_o.jpg

Detail of the 'high flow' variant, with more pronounced 'cup'.

272920_243568562330561_4292625_o.jpg

And just for clarification about the turbo you posted:

62mm/83mm FMW compressor, 76/68mm Turbine

179077, .83A/R, T4, Twin-volute, single-valve wastegated
179078, as above, but with “J” turbine

The wastegated units above are low-valve-flow designs; single valve on only one volute.

Cheers! :chug: :st: :ft:

So clairify which part number has the lower-flowing turbine wheel and which has the larger flowing wheel. And as far as the wastegate goes a guy could just disable it and use an external gate for maximum efficiency

So clairify which part number has the lower-flowing turbine wheel and which has the larger flowing wheel. And as far as the wastegate goes a guy could just disable it and use an external gate for maximum efficiency

179078 is the higher flowing

179079 is the same, but non gated and cheaper

Nick,

Thank you for the info and the hours of research you just caused me :rockwoot:

Not to piss in your cheerios as you've been around an likely forgot more than I'll ever know, but I found out some info about those turbos and more specifically the J vs Cupped designs. Apparently they are different yet are being advertised interchangeably.

Reposted from:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.243568358997248.62322.160773747276710&type=3

Here we see the 'high flow' version, with a more pronounced 'cup' to the turbine inducer blade. The trailing edge also has a slightly different design as well.
This design has proven very popular on equal-length, pulse-optimized manifolds, utilizing twin-volute (twin-scroll) turbine housings. However, they work quite well on single-volute housings as well.

272210_243568368997247_6603507_o.jpg

And, shown here, is the 'lower flow' version, with less pronounced 'cup' to the turbine wheel inducer. The trailing edge is a less contoured design. These wheels are typically very effective on single-volute (single-scroll) turbine housing and manifold designs, although they work quite well in twin-volute systems as well.

278372_243568445663906_4427618_o.jpg

Detail close-up of 'lower flow' wheel, showing the lessened 'cup' of the turbine inducer.

271676_243568502330567_458211_o.jpg

Detail of the 'high flow' variant, with more pronounced 'cup'.

272920_243568562330561_4292625_o.jpg

And just for clarification about the turbo you posted:

62mm/83mm FMW compressor, 76/68mm Turbine

179077, .83A/R, T4, Twin-volute, single-valve wastegated
179078, as above, but with “J” turbine

The wastegated units above are low-valve-flow designs; single valve on only one volute.

Cheers! :chug: :st: :ft:

Good info! My truck has been down but recently back up hence my lack of participation on the board. Also, yes, I found out a while ago that it is a single puck gate. Maybe one of these days I'll get some drive readings!

Last edited: