tick on fresh rebuild!!!

Well you know you have no piston to valve clearance with the standard, and with a .020 the piston protrusion is going to be approx .020 thats good. You still need to find some more clearance sink the valves .020 and your @ .040. Your opps are do as posted ,cut the pistons or stick a stock cam in. It will live @ .040 and maybe move the cam some thats what I would do but its your call. No Zack ?

I believe zach told me stock was .058 so say the .020 is .078ish that puts me at .038 piston to head and gains me .020 more piston to valve clearance. Valves are recessed .049......sooo at tdc wouldn't I have.087 piston to valve clearnace??

Yes, and no, That would be with the valves closed what matters is when there opening and closing while the piston is going up and down.When piston to valve clearance is measured its in reference to the minimum amount . The .040 I posted would be your minimum IF you add .020 for the gasket and IF you sunk the valves to .060 and last, IF you are just kissing the pistons.

What's actually happening vs the numbers I get is what is not making sense to me. Even with the stock gasket the numbers said I hd plenty of clearance....

Hamilton cams closed these days? Called 5time Friday and nothing and today and nothings???

I would clay the piston and check it that way. Better to be safe then sorry. You can just use the old head gasket to check. Here is a link on using clay to check piston to valve clearance: http://www.racingheadservice.com/Information/Technical/PistonToValveClearance.asp

I would also degree each lobe of the cam. You need to find out why #1 is different. Probably is not the cam, but I would make sure.

If the piston to valve clearance is correct, and the cam degrees out okay, then look for a dynamic problem. This could be a valve spring that has gone flat, a cam follower that is sticking in the bore, worn valve guide, rocker arm pivot, etc.

I could not see clearly, but was the piston hitting the head?

Paul

latest and greatest info exact piston protrusion number
#1 .038
#2 .038
#3 .039
#4 .042 checked it 3 times
#5 .038
#6 .039

All the intake valve just barley tapped the pistons cant really feel an edge were the did..I tried to see if I could feel play in the rod bearings by pulling up and down on the pistons and could really feel anything or get any readings...I know my crankcase breather was and issue but if I never lost oil psi should the bearing been getting oil???
I dont understand why my clearance measurements seem high but for whatever reason there was contact. I also pulled the cam, lobes looked good. Heads at machine shop getting checked out. My only question is, should I pull the engine on check the bearings still or what??? Im not sure whatelse I can do to make sure they are all good....

if your rocker looks like that, do you thinks any of your bottom end bearings could look similar?

Anythings possible, but id think more than just one rocker would be if there's an issue

anyone retard thier cam and know how much clearance gained from doing so?? just curious if I will gain enough. judging from running the stock gasket and the valve just touched I can guess I had zero clearance, put in the .020 gasket and now I got .020ish maybe....need to gain another .030 to be happy....

Pulled the entire engine now, Found a cyl with a groove wore into it from a ring....The fun continues

Back