tick on fresh rebuild!!!

Jpscustoms

Due to my last disaster did full rebuild. I also installed a 181/210 cam, with new tappets, and push rods. lash set at 10int 18exh. I check piston to valve clearance #1 intake was .120 and exhaust was pretty close to the same cant remember exactly....from what I understand thats plenty of clearance. I cant really narrow it down to one single cylinder by the sound...Im at my wits end with this thing. Only other thing I have read was about possibly the rockers or the billet tappet cover I installed just makes the valvetrain noise more noticable???? All I do know is after my last disaster I do not want to got threw this again.

it's probably from the billet tappet cover, when you remove the piece (not sure on it's exact name, insulation may be the correct term?) that covers the actual tappet cover it gets louder, at least it did on my truck. That's what I'd bet on

This is definetly more than the tappet cover, chris I let ya know....I'm going to check things over again but somthing is not right that's for sure

driving down the road at 2200rpm or up this tick sounds nasty almost a knock..truck is parked...have about 30min run time on it. 20min breakin at 1500 to 2000rpm. let cool down and reset valves....other 10min was just two test drives....also what did the guys with billet tappet covers do for crankcase pressure tubes??? I got mine on -8an 90deg fitting pointing straight up and the hose curves back down and this thing is pushing alot of oil out the tubes....like a quart already...Im about to drive it into a tree

Brand new bottom end ? It'll take a minute to seat the rings....you'll get some excess blow by till it does.

yes fresh bottom end....I wanted to get this thing under a load to get the rings set but with the tick I dont even want to start it now!

Im gonna lean towards a lifter not pumping up. Pull the valve covers off and run it and make sure the rockers all have sufficient oil running through them.

I watched it with the valve covers off and everthing is oiling well. I made sure I even primed the oil system before first start up....I cant believe I got a bad lifter already after 30min..But itd be my luck.

Its a hyd. cam?

Yeah. What he said ^^ ??

If it's flat tappet,
I would start cracking injection lines, taking the load off the cylinders one at a time.
See if it changes the tick.
I know you said you checked lash, but....are all of the adjusting screws on the rockers showing about the same number of threads above the nut?

Last edited:
The problem Im having is at idle I cant hear it. and under acceleration I cant either....Is it possible its to much timing or lack of? It was pin timed when the pump was rebuilt at 17.5deg. Running stock delivery valves with 5x.012s. Injectors are new too. I do notice if i crack the trottle off idle while its parked I can hear the tick again while its coming back down to idle...Ill check the nuts on the rockers tomorrow again but I didnt notice any of the out of wack today...

Last edited: