tick on fresh rebuild!!!

In my experience mechanical things that are out of whack tend to get louder with engine speed regardless of load, fuel / combustion problems tend to fade away / get louder with cylinder pressure.

Do what Jeff said and crack the lines loose, that will tell you whether it is an issue with one / two cylinders or ALL of them.

Thats why im confused, I cant hear it at idle or really reving it under no load. If im driving down the road just cruising you can hear it or when decelerating. When under acceleration you cant hear it but that can just be due to intake noise and exhaust...

mine does the same thing around 2200 under hard throttle its ticks. just started after i put my tappet cover on. thought it was my lift pump but i pulled the plunger when i put my raptor on and it still does it. Ill see if i can get a video of it

Im having a hard time buying that its the tappet cover. I can understand a slight increase in noise but this is way to noticeable

I would check all your fuel lines and injectors for leaks. I had a tick at idle and it turned out that i had an injector that wasn't seated really well. It was quiet though but still noticeable

one injector could be bad - we had a tip crack right off the hop, and it made a knockin noise
not hard to check at least, pull the injectors, and see if one is wet or visibly damaged

Any exhaust leaks? You can get a pretty good tick from that, although that should be more evident on accel/under boost, but the engine noise may be drowning it out.

Is it definelty in the engine, not in the pump?

I still think I'd do what Jeff said and start with the easiest things and crack some lines to see if you can isolate it.

Piston to valve .120 Is this @ tdc or with the valves open? unless the pistons are cut
.120 min seems like a lot.

I've had injection pumps make a ticking noise that was a pITA to figure out where was coming from. It did it for 3-4 years and then finally showed it's face. IDK what the cause was yet because I haven't taken the pump in to get rebuilt. Just know the annoying tick was the IP.

How much of the valve train was retained on the cylinder/s that bent valves previus? The tappet cover thing is weird. On some you may hear more noise, and others not really. I'm assuming that's just because of more wear in some parts more than others. I'd almost bet you have another bent/messed up push rod if it is a loud tick if you didn't replace everything in the valve train.

Im gonna lean towards a lifter not pumping up. Pull the valve covers off and run it and make sure the rockers all have sufficient oil running through them.

I'm assuming you meant that for some reason a lifter is not getting sufficient oil since you obviously know that they don't have to pump up in these engines?

Personally, if it was mine, I'd swap the old timing cover back on just to rule that out. Should be an hour job or so if you've done a couple pump swaps.

Chris

brand new push rods, new tappets, new head, new cam, rebuilt IP, new pistons, bearings..it was a major overhaul. Could the overflow valve on the pump make a tick? Im running a fass pump.....

brand new push rods, new tappets, new head, new cam, rebuilt IP, new pistons, bearings..it was a major overhaul. Could the overflow valve on the pump make a tick? Im running a fass pump.....

The OFV won't tick with a FASS.

I don't believe this is your problem or see how it could be, but when my 24v froze 2 rod bearings it had no symptoms when you would first start it cold unless you would rev it up at idle and as soon as you let off it would tick/knock only 3 quick times

I'm assuming you meant that for some reason a lifter is not getting sufficient oil since you obviously know that they don't have to pump up in these engines?

Personally, if it was mine, I'd swap the old timing cover back on just to rule that out. Should be an hour job or so if you've done a couple pump swaps.

Chris

yes old small block brain fart. damn old age and too many irons in the fire.

I don't believe this is your problem or see how it could be, but when my 24v froze 2 rod bearings it had no symptoms when you would first start it cold unless you would rev it up at idle and as soon as you let off it would tick/knock only 3 quick times

Which end? Wrist pin or crank?

I checked valves with engine warm and they all checked out ok, none of the adjusters were different than the rest, I did notice when the engine is cold you cant hardly notice the tick driving down the road but as it warms up it gets louder. I have the original tappet cover but its missing the insulation so thats not going to help any......no fuel leaks on the injector lines...camera sucks and really couldnt pick up the noise on video