tick on fresh rebuild!!!

my experience with engines; a tick is almost always related to a tight valve. With you saying it gets worse as it warms up makes me really think you have a tight valve(s). I did read that you said you've went thru and checked the tune up though...Before you set the head on did you check that the valves were seated? If not you may want to pull the rockers back off and tap on the valves a few times with a mallett and run your tune up again...

Which end? Wrist pin or crank?

Crank end, wouldn't start having symptoms or ticking until water temp was about 140 then it would lockup about 160, also at about 140* it would slowly start loping and slowly get a harder lope

I doubt it's rod or main bearings unless it starts slowing idle speed once it warms up

Last edited:
This is a long shot and I'm sure you would have noticed but did you make sure something stupid didn't happen and you didn't bend one of the new pushrods not being seated exactly right on top of one of the tappets?

driving down the road at 2200rpm or up this tick sounds nasty almost a knock..truck is parked...have about 30min run time on it. 20min breakin at 1500 to 2000rpm. let cool down and reset valves....other 10min was just two test drives....also what did the guys with billet tappet covers do for crankcase pressure tubes??? I got mine on -8an 90deg fitting pointing straight up and the hose curves back down and this thing is pushing alot of oil out the tubes....like a quart already...Im about to drive it into a tree

With the oil dumping from the tappet cover do you have 2 vents or one? On our engines we have 3- 3/4 inch npt st. 90's on each vent. One pointing straight up, the next threaded into the first pointing toward the fire wall, then the next threaded into that one pointing down with a 3/4" male thread by barb fitting with tubing attached to that. Seems the keep the dumping to a minimum.

Alright, working on uploading a vid now with the noise. Ive checked timing, put dynamat on my tappet cover, made the Crankcase vent tubes longer. checked valves cold and they are good. Still have the tick. It definetly comes on when it warms up and by normal opt temp this thing sounds nasty. Only thing I have thought about trying is setting the valves when the engine is hot....

Sure sounds valvetrain related. So hard to diagnose though. I'm sure you've checked all the valve spring retainers really close? Whose studs did you use? Were the rocker pedistals ground down? Or did you just trim the webbing under each cover? Almost sounds like you trimmed the webbing and valve train noise is transferred through the cover or covers. Just a wild guess!

Arps, I didnt grind any of the webbing on the covers. I would have thought it was them but its quiet when cold. Whatever it is comes on with temp.

Last edited:
What valve seals are you running? Have someone bar the engine over while you watch the seals to make sure one isn't travelling with the valve.

It almost sounds like a rodbearing to me...which freaks me out because they are all new! And everything was supposed to be recond!

A rod bearing should transmit sound pretty good from around the oil pan. I'd pull the rocker covers and watch everything while running first. Pull pushrods if uncertain! If all that checks out it might be a bearing issue. Zinc additive and 20min. cam break-in procedure I suppose?

I would try to eliminate any noise from the vacuum pump/power steering pump. Another thing I would do is take the tappet cover off and bar the motor over so you can inspect all of the barrels of the tappets to make sure there isnt any visible galling. It might be worth pulling all of the push rods out too to see if the ends are mating well in the tappets or if any are bent.

You don't have enough crankcase ventilation through a -8an fitting. You could be starving the bottom end of oil also which could've wiped out a bearing! I can tell you from experience that zip-tieing a washcloth to the blow-by tube very loosely will completely empty a crankcase of oil! Ask me how I know!

Might not be! Just went through this with Spooled05 on his CR. He had one of those valve cover breathers on his blowby tube and dumped his crankcase oil twice through the turbos! Pulled the breather off the tube and all was fine after rebuilding turbos.