Toyota 2.4 NA Diesel

zukgod1

Old fart
Ok guys, looks like I'll be stopping on the way home to purchase me an 84 toyota 4x4 with the 2.4 ltr Diesel in it.
The truck is in really good shape considering the year.

At the moment it is NA and I'm going to want to add a small turbo.

Any suggestions/ ideas on the turbo to be used?

Mostly freeway travel, some pulling with a small trailer.

I was thinking I would pull the injectors and have them gone through and maybe a slight extrude for approx 15-25 hp.

It currently needs a IP so while thats off I'm going to have Industrial Injection give it a small boost.
Then I can get the now REALLY restricted exhaust done and should be ready to cruise.

dan

Last edited:
You can swp out your old 2L-II 2.4 D engine and put newer from 90-97 engine 2L-II Turbo
Power 97hp@4000rpm and torque 165 lbs@2400rpm

I have not made this swap myself, but i can call to gay who have done it.
He used Jap import engine with gearbox.

Ya, I could but...

I'm not one to take out a good power plant and do a swap.

I dont mind doing a few things to improve it but a complete swap unless its just junk isnt going to happen.

dan

That's what I was thinking wideopen.

Not to sure if that's the turbo or not but thats the right direction.

I guess I'll need to do a bit of searching to find a turbo engine around the same displacement to get a turbo that will work.

I don't want to run more than say 10-15 psi max, just want to make it a bit more efficient.

dan

Yeah I was thinking a small Turbo/IC off of a 4 cyl. Gasser with low boost would be your best bet.. I just don't know if the Toy diesel could handle much boost at all??

Your fuel system is little bit complicated.

You have to give more fuel you you add turbo, because air without fuel do not make power.

If you turn more fuel, it will overfuel in lower engine rpm's

In our P7100 pumps we have nice AFC wich will add more fuel in higher boost level.

AsTroSS said:
Your fuel system is little bit complicated.

You have to give more fuel you you add turbo, because air without fuel do not make power.

If you turn more fuel, it will over fuel in lower engine rpm's

In our P7100 pumps we have nice AFC which will add more fuel in higher boost level.

Come on man I'm not that naive.. :poke:

I did post I was going to have the pump output bumped up a bit with the rebuild and the injectors hogged out as well and depending on what II tells me I'll add a pusher pump to feed the IP.

Not wanting to make it into a racer, if nothing else I just want to make it a bit more efficient. It gets 28+ around town as it sits. I'm hoping for 35 on the freeway.

Keep the ideas coming.

dan

Dan, you should be able to add a small turbo and be able to get away with no IC like the old 1st gens and OBS powerstrokes. That is the direction I would head in.

Ok ,sorry :kick:

But I do not understand why americans like tiny jap cars?

I have own lots of jap cars and trucks, thanks but no more. They are small, with small poweless engine and no comfort. Yes I kne what I am talking about, I had '86 Hilux with NA diesel engine,:bang

I think your Yota milage is same as stock Ram milage.

If your target is cheep milage, then its ok,but do not invest extra money on it.

Sorry of so long and so negative post :Cheer:

AsTroSS said:
Ok ,sorry :kick:

But I do not understand why americans like tiny jap cars?

I have own lots of jap cars and trucks, thanks but no more. They are small, with small poweless engine and no comfort. Yes I kne what I am talking about, I had '86 Hilux with NA diesel engine,:bang

I think your Yota milage is same as stock Ram milage.

If your target is cheep milage, then its ok,but do not invest extra money on it.

Sorry of so long and so negative post :Cheer:

No worries, the only reason I'm doing this is I have a 126 mile a day commute, 30mpg is way off what a full sized ram will do and I suspect you know it.
Not to mention I'll be in this truck less than $2000.00 US if I spend no more than $400.00 on the turbo.

dan

Timbeaux38 said:
Dan, you should be able to add a small turbo and be able to get away with no IC like the old 1st gens and OBS powerstrokes. That is the direction I would head in.

That's what I was thinking as well Tim, only running 15psi max there shouldn't be a problem without a intercooler. Just need to find a turbo for that size displacement.

just a pipe right int the intake.

Does anyone know the displacement on the Mitsu eclipse?

dan

On the turbo, you had better check and see what the compression ratio is for this engine. If it's higher than 20:1 or so 15PSI of boost will likely see the rods making an unscheduled exit of the block :( The 2.3 N/A Nissan diesels used on the Nissan trucks will only take about 6-7psi of boost on a stock motor and should be comparable to the yota'. As for the engine swap, you are currently looking at $400 for a turbo and some more $$$ for the pump and injector work. Why not take that money and buy a complete turbo'ed engine to swap in?? Most of the importers will sell a complete engine w/tranny for under $1000 and it will be newer with more power to boot.

Just throwing out some ideas for you, I bought a Nissan diesel PU (in pieces LOL ) to do a diesel swap on a 51 Willis PU and I have been looking into putting a small huffer on it.

Billysgoat,
That makes sense, I was initially thinking of 5-8 psi and didn't think about the compression ratio situation when in my mind I bumped it to 10-15psi.

I haven't made any calls but I've been around this area for a long time and I can honestly say I've never ran into a importer that brought anything but gassers over. Do you know a company that does?

My main goal for this is to get it running like I want and then tear it apart and swap the engine/trans into my crawler.

I just don't see myself driving a reg cab yota on 120+ mile round trips to and fro work for very long. I'm not that big a guy but a reg cab is gonna be a bit tight after a while.

Just for reference/kicks. I stopped in to a local diesel shop and they had one of these in there tore apart down to the short block. Those pistons are huge, it must not have must a very long stroke with the size of the pistons.
I guess I'll see if I can get a FSM on it.

dan

Ask around, you might be suprised at the response. With diesels being a low demand application you might be able to get one purty cheap.

Just an idea for you to try.

$1200.00 before shipping, that sounds a bit much for this truck.

After the Cummins fiasco I doubt my wife would be happy with me spending more on an engine than I paid for the truck.
Wouldn't bug me however, I could just take the NA system and stuff it in the samurai.

I'm going to see if I can just get a exhaust manifold/turbo set up from a dismantler first.
Even if I use the exsisting IP and just turn it up a bit I should be good.
Wont have the boost compinsator on it so I'l have to controll smoke with my right foot but I'm used to that already. Just tune it for 75 mph and good to go.

dan

Last edited:
I agree, that's a bit steep. I paid a touch over 7 bills and got a complete truck body, two trannies and a motor. And maybe another truck body to go with it LOL LOL

I'm cheap, and he was wanting to clean up his junkpile.

Thanks DBogo

I got it running tonight, just bypassed the factory fuel system and hooked up a fuel source directly to the IP and bang! Off it runs.
I found the fuel limit screw as well so I can turn this baby up a bit.

So now for the turbo set up. As soon as I get those part rounded up I'm going to take the injectors to II and have them worked over.

I'll keep ya tuned up as this progresses.

dan

Why not just do the same diesel swap I'm doing to my '86 Yota:

P9050001.jpg

P9050002.jpg

:D

Back