trans shelled out... again

Pump stator bolts were torqued, I guess there is a chance they came loose but I've never had issues before. Vb was just redone by goerend.

Sent from phone

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXG_GDCwZtk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXG_GDCwZtk[/ame]

Well I talked to dave a while ago and he didn't really think its the pump making noise but IDK. Maybe something vibrating or something weird. Trans shifts fine and holds great so IDK wtf it is. I'm going to drive it till it ****s the bed again.

Also left the tv lever flapping in the wind to see if it changed anything and it has a goofy flare on the 2-3 shift, Guess I'll just leave it ziptied wide open. I thought the constant pressure VB eliminated the need for the tv but it must still affect something.

So what would cause the trans to drag in park and neutral? Welded forward clutches? Vb come loose?

Sent from phone

forward clutches most likely. i have seen burnt clutches and then the piston get stuck out of the input shaft bore. causes a load on the engine in all gears

I have been running 5 clutches in the forward pack. Maybe that has something to do with this...

Sent from phone

I have been running 5 clutches in the forward pack. Maybe that has something to do with this...

Sent from phone

Yep

Mine did this when I was running the 5 in the forward pack.
yse8aheb.jpg

Nice. Hopefully there's not too much carnage, be nice if the TC and pump are ok.

This freaking sucks, I was planning on going to the track this weekend.:(

I personally have stopping trying to do 5 clutch setups in the forward pack and just stick with the factory 4 friction setup. With good line pressure, the 4 clutch setup is adequate.

That said, my 98' daily driver has 50k miles, 25k at 500 HP / 1200 ft-lbs with a 5 friction forward clutch setup and still going strong... must have gotten lucky on this one 47re!

Sent from phone

How is the 5 clutch forward setup causing these problems?

I personally have stopping trying to do 5 clutch setups in the forward pack and just stick with the factory 4 friction setup. With good line pressure, the 4 clutch setup is adequate.

That said, my 98' daily driver has 50k miles, 25k at 500 HP / 1200 ft-lbs with a 5 friction forward clutch setup and still going strong... must have gotten lucky on this one 47re!

What changed your mind on the 5 clutch setup?

Last edited:

I got lucky with a trans I built for a local farmer, his is an 01 and I have had zero issues with the 5 clutch setup in his truck. He even went on a 3000 miles trip a couple days after I finished and it never messed up.

How is the 5 clutch forward setup causing these problems?

The splines on the front planet are likely not catching all 5 clutches and causing a bindup, therefore allowing them to slip. ive only ran 4 clutch setups and never had a problem.

The splines on the front planet are likely not catching all 5 clutches and causing a bindup, therefore allowing them to slip. ive only ran 4 clutch setups and never had a problem.

Glad I held onto my stock reaction plate, that'll be easy to change out on my bench in a few minutes

Yeah If it is indeed the forward clutches toast I'm going back to the stock setup. I'll have to find another stock plate as we machined mine to fit 5 in there. I ran 4 clutch setup on my first build and beat the crap outa that trans and never had a issue.

I'm also contemplating swapping out my sonnax input for the tcs aermet, as I'm going for a lot more power this year. I hate to spend another 8-900 on the input if I don't have to but it would really suck if it grenades and takes out my new converter and pump...

Sent from phone

Last edited:
It's not an if. It's loading up in neutral and park undoubtably the clutches are welded in the forward pack.

I'm not so sure yet. I just dropped the pan, fluid looks fine and pan has just a tiny bit of crud in it. Last time I destroyed some clutches it was a royal mess...

Belleville spring in forward pack failed and dragging maybe? I found this post http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1782708&postcount=10

That could be true also, I had the piston extend too far in my dads truck (line pressure issues). It broke the bellview spring, and get cocked sideways forcing the pack to stay engaged. luckily for us a new bellview spring and some seals and it was back to working normal.

Last edited:
Hmmm hopefully that is the case. I have reused that spring a few times, and I had the pressure regulator get stuck a couple times and cause spikes to like 240+.

Sent from phone

What the hell. The converter hub, pump, pump bushing are all scored and ruined just like last time. And the forward clutch pack/input is seized onto the planet and won't come off. FML

I'm about to set this damn truck on fire at this point.

Last edited: