Truckers, lets see your rigs!

Look what I found. Was this discussion on this thread or another?

From my Not-So-Smart phone

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1382449030888.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382449030888.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 0
S400/410 variant on the 3406 and the wheel dimensions

Looks like the compressor took a dump on me tonight, right in the middle of harvest. Stupid cat...

When you delete or disable the IVA's it completely changes the nature of the engine, especially if you are running a single turbo file. I saw where a guy did back to back dyno runs, one as an acert and one as a normal setup, he dropped around 20psi of manifold pressure and gained HP on the de-acerted setup.

PDI "turned off" the IVA's on mine. I didn't loose any manifold pressure but I'm still running the twins

It's not just the IVA's, while that takes care of the problematic areas, your still running an acert program. The one I spoke of was using a non acert file after removing the IVA's.

It's not just the IVA's, while that takes care of the problematic areas, your still running an acert program. The one I spoke of was using a non acert file after removing the IVA's.

I had a guy two months ago with a stripped SDP. He said it was the strongest CAT he had owned to date.
I wish these common rail 15's would open up a bit. Navistar is skeered I guess.

From what I have read and if I understood what I read correctly that was the only way to convert an acert to a single turbo. Which the lower manifold pressure from the conversion is because your going to a higher cfm single compressor. PDI also mentioned if I wanted to go to single I could with out having to change anything else, all I needed was this new stage one program that they gave me. Not sure how that works but it sounded like they figured out a way to do the conversion with out the need to change out the ECU and re-wiring that was once the only way.

Last edited:
This Scania was my rig last summer:
danm_rk_b_lar_kaldbaksv_k_314.JPG

It's only a P310, but it had R series interior swapped into it and nice creature comforts, DLS audio with dual 12" subs and nice...

From what I have read and if I understood what I read correctly that was the only way to convert an acert to a single turbo. Which the lower manifold pressure from the conversion is because your going to a higher cfm single compressor. PDI also mentioned if I wanted to go to single I could with out having to change anything else, all I needed was this new stage one program that they gave me. Not sure how that works but it sounded like they figured out a way to do the conversion with out the need to change out the ECU and re-wiring that was once the only way.

Im sure they wanted you to convert to a single turbo, that way they can milk you for the manifold and the new turbo, which wont work quite right because the extra displacement that the acert c15 carries over the single turbo c15's. There would be replacement is the stage 1 turbo with the nozzle vane housing, which is a S410, do you really expect it to be able to move as much as the GT55 based turbo that is used for the LP turbo in the acert setup.

The turbos are not the problem, it is the acert programming and design that causes the issues, the design of the acert system requires the use of the compound turbos and the people selling parts want you to believe that they are the problem when that isnt the case. Jfaulkner has a few de-acerted engines that are still running the acert twins and they are workng great.

Im sure they wanted you to convert to a single turbo, that way they can milk you for the manifold and the new turbo, which wont work quite right because the extra displacement that the acert c15 carries over the single turbo c15's. There would be replacement is the stage 1 turbo with the nozzle vane housing, which is a S410, do you really expect it to be able to move as much as the GT55 based turbo that is used for the LP turbo in the acert setup.

The turbos are not the problem, it is the acert programming and design that causes the issues, the design of the acert system requires the use of the compound turbos and the people selling parts want you to believe that they are the problem when that isnt the case. Jfaulkner has a few de-acerted engines that are still running the acert twins and they are workng great.

Who said there was a problem? I love my twins :)

Just for my own education, You may correct my understanding of the definition/reasoning behind "de-acerting" the C15's. My assumption of what was involved in converting the C15 to the earlier 3406E cats was removing the IVA system, going from twins to a single compressor, swapping to an 6NZ ECU,Injectors, and changing some sensors required for the older ecu to function properly.
The reasoning behind removing Caterpillar's ,at the time, latest attempt at conforming to the EPA's newest emission requirements. Just a few of the flaws in the design by Cat were the increased cylinder pressures, the actuators prematurely failing, poor fuel mileage, increased eninge temps, etc.
They raised the compression of the motor and put twin turbos( increase manifold pressure to compensate for the actuators holding the intake valves open a little past BDC) on it to keep the power on par. In doing this they increased the potential/probability of premature headgasket/Engine failure.
So removing the Iva's solved the energy loss from bleeding off the cylinder air on the compression stroke and that gave them the opportunity to lower cylinder pressures by going back to the single turbo that was more efficient at the lower pressures while maintaining the required cfm to produce the same or even more power output. With the compression ratio being higher than the 3406's and the lengthens injection timing from the 6NZ ecu and fuel flow of the early style injectors guys were able to yeild impressive power gains while increasing reliability and fuel mileage.

With saying all that, PDI claims to have accomplished the same goal(IVA delete) by shutting off the function in the acerts ECU( IVA are actuated by oil pressure which is supplied at the command of the ECU determined by the factory programmed calibration in the ECU). Eliminating the need for the added expense & labor of doing the delete by removing/swapping all the parts and pieces previously required to accomplish the same goal.

Now I have been awake for an extended period of time and I am also typing this while traveling from the north east to Texas on my smarter than me Iphone and I have only come to these conclusions by the tireless self-education that the all knowing Google & World Wide Web provides, so this could very well make zero sense to anyone but myself and be so far off track that I have taken what could have been a productive hour of everyone's lives that you can never get back. If so be easy on the flaming :)

Last edited:
There's no need to change the ECM or sensors and the compound setup works very well. In fact, if I could piece together a set of acert twins for a reasonable price I'd run them on my B.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

There's no need to change the ECM or sensors and the compound setup works very well. In fact, if I could piece together a set of acert twins for a reasonable price I'd run them on my B.

:Cheer:

I think its hilarious when people worship the 6NZ as the be-all-end-all bad ass cat engine.......uhhhh.......have ya ever seen the bottom end on an acert?

The manifold require for the use of the twins makes it a no go if your B has a square port head, the round port wont even fully cover the opening.