Truckers, lets see your rigs!

I don't think an 8LL would like all that torque.....just a thought though

Not sure, I don't know enough about them, the only trucks I've seen with an 8LL have Cummins M11 or C-12 size engines in front of em

Not sure, I don't know enough about them, the only trucks I've seen with an 8LL have Cummins M11 or C-12 size engines in front of em

We had a couple green motors with this transmission at the last place I worked. They were 430 or 470 rated, don't remember exactly. However, they were twenty year old trucks that lived a HARD life. Two were dump trucks and one pulled a lowboy. I don't recall ever having an issue with them, but like I said, they weren't turned up either.

I'm really starting to miss all the heavy equipment and trucking though. I left there to work on the railroad about a month ago.

What model is the direct 10 speed, I just looked at some ratio chart and the LL reverse is actually faster than the one in the direct versions of a FR series 10spd.

Max torque rating on one is 1600 ft-lbs.

What model is the direct 10 speed, I just looked at some ratio chart and the LL reverse is actually faster than the one in the direct versions of a FR series 10spd.

Max torque rating on one is 1600 ft-lbs.

It would probably be an FR15210B. I know that's not a high torque rating but its what's available. Now I could keep the trans that's in it now. Forget the exact numbers but it's a regular 10spd overdrive in a 2000 Pete

Same torque rating in tenth gear actually as the 8ll. Most that are building trucks to run 2.64 rears are running 18spds to compensate the gearing, and most run in 16th which is direct, and not turning the auxiliary same as a 10spd.

The reverse ratio in that FR you listed is 16.21, in the LL the lowest reverse is 15.22 unless you go with a 800ft-lbs transmission.

The reverse ratio in that FR you listed is 16.21, in the LL the lowest reverse is 15.22 unless you go with a 800ft-lbs transmission.

Huh that's weird. And thanks for the help. So basically what I'm gathering is, if I'm going to change the trans I'd be best off goin with an 18 spd or have you ever heard of a deep reduction 13spd? Guy was trying to tell me he had some special heavy haul setup that in low range rpms were 200 higher than a regular 13.

Last edited:
we have a few buses tuned to 500 hp and we are constantly replacing the Gear covers due to cracking ... anyone know what and why this is caused by ?

I was thinking it was torsional loading or possibly the torque from the mounts but, honestly were kinda stumped , these engines are in r mci busses and setras, and while the performance is great our 475-450's never have needed this done ? anyone able to shed light there ?

I just got done with one is why i am asking .

The driver. Most bus driver's I've encountered have a relay connected to the throttle. Its all on or off.

Saw this one hauling debris yesterday.
he5u4e9e.jpg

we have a few buses tuned to 500 hp and we are constantly replacing the Gear covers due to cracking ... anyone know what and why this is caused by ?

I was thinking it was torsional loading or possibly the torque from the mounts but, honestly were kinda stumped , these engines are in r mci busses and setras, and while the performance is great our 475-450's never have needed this done ? anyone able to shed light there ?

I just got done with one is why i am asking .

What engine and pics of the cracks?

From My Not-So-Smart Phone