Truckers, lets see your rigs!

We haul those on rail cars and when you get several cars of 4 coils each, you can definitely feel the weight. Pretty surprising really. They don't look nearly as heavy as they are.

How heavy is a coil like that?

Originally Posted by DieselMonster

thats why they are supposed to load those spools oo or over the axle's ... or over the truck tires .. not sure why they would have put it in the middle of the trailer to begin with ?

All singles are loaded center you just can't haul them with junk equipment. Not all that uncommon to see 70-90k single coils but you need a big trailer. Seen some hauled between doors at the mills over 100,000#.

Got the legacy lo put in, no base FTMFW. This is eye level out the windshield with no air in the chair
8adygyqe.jpg

I literally sit maybe ten inches off the floor, I love it

I'd like to know who thought a plastic throttle pedal was a good idea. It's dumb chit like this that slows up my progress.

Yep, and sits in rubber bushings that bolt to floor, even the arm to bolt to was plastic, and what was actually broke.

I need to hear from the Cat mechanics in here on this one. About a year ago I left turning wrenches at a construction/logging company to work for the railroad. Buddy called me yesterday to tell me the Bandit wood chipper powered by a twin turbo C-18 we had died. Weird turbo setup on the thing, it's like it had two exhaust manifold with one turbo per three cylinders.

Anyway, here's what Cat is telling them. Somehow the intercooler collects condensation over time and when you shut the engine down it settles in the bottom of the intercooler. Over time you collect more and more water which turns to ice after running the machine for hours on end. Over time once enough water collects and turns into a big enough chunk of ice it eventually broke loose, went through the intercooler into the #3 cylinder and somehow put a window in both sides of the block on #3. According to Cat (Blanchard is the dealer) it's a known issue with C-18s and there is no "fix" for it. Motor is being replaced under warranty.

My question is this though, you're telling me Cat engineers can't come up with a solution for a $40k motor putting windows in blocks knowing they're going to eat the replacement cost? My suggestion was a petcock valve to drain whatever water is in there before they use it each time. Thoughts? Suggestions? Head mechanic at the company agrees with me but he doesn't want to touch it in fear of voiding the warranty on the new engine, but it's costing almost the cost of the engine to have the chipper down two weeks for the engine to be replaced.
Every truck here in Scandinavia has a small hole drilled to the bottom of the aftercooler to drain condensated water out of it. Never heard ice breaking engines, it just blocks aftercooler and engine has no power.

Every truck here in Scandinavia has a small hole drilled to the bottom of the aftercooler to drain condensated water out of it. Never heard ice breaking engines, it just blocks aftercooler and engine has no power.

So these engines can actually build up ice in the intercooler?

Leiffi, since your from Europe how much do you know about the MTU's? Was at a fishing tournament this past week and a 58' Viking had twin 2000hp MTU's in it, they sounded fantastic, but the owner didn't know much about them

Just about the right height, exhaust is mostly finished minus a few clamps, air ride is all buttoned up as well.

E6D636DB-EE1F-4E66-8DA2-289BC352ED63_zpszhhticdq.jpg

1FA40507-765E-4ECF-98FC-00B461A10F1F_zpsrcpezjci.jpg

1D45C2C0-E99A-4443-84CD-4BF8B72C61D0_zpsme1uhgec.jpg

Leiffi, since your from Europe how much do you know about the MTU's? Was at a fishing tournament this past week and a 58' Viking had twin 2000hp MTU's in it, they sounded fantastic, but the owner didn't know much about them

All I've heard is that they are crap. Leaking water between heads etc. They reputation is about as bad as Caterpillar engines.

All I've heard is that they are crap. Leaking water between heads etc. They reputation is about as bad as Caterpillar engines.

Got ya, owner of the boat didn't know much and the Capt only knew they had over 2000hrs since the re-power when they ripped out the original Cats and put these in. They did say they baby them though and they only really get a workout when they come up to Maryland to fish tournaments compared to fishing in Miami all the time

Picture of a couple tractors I picked up a few weeks ago.
semi2_zps85a4e78c.jpg

Only good pic from running wheat..
semi1_zps9ac88dcf.jpg