Truckers, lets see your rigs!

We got tired of my MBN running like crap so I placed a call to Mr. Haney, spent about an hour on the phone with him discussing what we can do to make this truck run better, so we decided the ECM is getting his modified 7CZ file and we're getting one of his turbos, can't wait to see how she runs!

This is exciting. Can't wait to see/hear how these mods do for you!

He says 620-630 to the tires with his tune and turbo, that will be great for what this truck's new job will be. ?

He said $2250 with no core charge......I'm open to suggestions......

Relief cut heads should have 2245122 5-layer gasket. However that doesn't solve the problem. View attachment 56154

As long as there is a place for the gasket to go it will go there! This is the fix to keep the gasket from bunching. View attachment 56155

It got the five layer gasket when we did the in-frame as coolant in the oil took out the bearings as well. Never thought to fill in the relief cuts.
If it makes 800,000 miles like the Cat in-frame did before the gasket went we'll be happy as the truck will have nearly 3 million miles on it then.
What did you use the fill in the relief cut as we're getting ready to do the in-frame on it's sister truck.

Last edited:
We got tired of my MBN running like crap so I placed a call to Mr. Haney, spent about an hour on the phone with him discussing what we can do to make this truck run better, so we decided the ECM is getting his modified 7CZ file and we're getting one of his turbos, can't wait to see how she runs!

Will be a standard 7CZ file, he trash talks modded stock file on the other forums so I doubt he uses one.

So it is probably an Aussie file that does have more timing, but it also has other quirks like not adjusting to altitude, hope you don't plan on much elevation change.

I get the feeling you're not much of a fan of him, who else builds custom files for a Cat? My boss won't deal with PDI, Pittsburgh power, or bullydog.

Why does it need to be a custom file, a standard 6nz or 7cz file will show considerable gains on an MBN.

There are very few places/people that actually write tunes for custom programming, and it cost when it is time to buy a tune, why would any of those companies write a modded timing file and endorse it when they can sell their base tunes for $2K.

Im not sure what he quoted you on the flash, but I know he told me $800 a long time ago, with what I know now that's a little pricey, same goes for the $400 dollar markup on an off the shelf BW turbo.

Could a Cat or KW shop flash a 7CZ file into the MBN? My understanding was that they couldn't, that's the only reason I was considering a custom tune.

They won't because they are required to use the most recent low emission flash file.

That doesn't mean it can't have a cat file put in it by someone that can do it, it's just not going to be someone that is linked to cat, so you are most likely still shipping the ecm.

No matter who does what, this truck is a turd with the current 525hp flash and the fuel mileage has gone right down the crapper. If I can't find a decent alternative on flashing the ECM then Mr. Haney is where it will go, the turbo can be found just about anywhere for less money so that's no trouble at all, but a turbo will do no good without a tune

Its not boosting anywhere near what it should be, 20-21psi is all its doing.....I'm out of ideas on what's up with it....

Center divider is either gone out of the housing or manifold, common problem due to how hot the MBN runs.

No matter who does what, this truck is a turd with the current 525hp flash and the fuel mileage has gone right down the crapper. If I can't find a decent alternative on flashing the ECM then Mr. Haney is where it will go, the turbo can be found just about anywhere for less money so that's no trouble at all, but a turbo will do no good without a tune

Your turbo is crap, cam is crap and ecm file is crap. The cam in an MBN is one step above a mailbox post. The turbine housing is cracked, all MBN turbos are cracked due to the high exhaust temps the EPA file in the ecm causes. A 270-7127 600hp file will make it run good and the turbo Cody is talking about, be like a totally different truck.