Truckers, lets see your rigs!

Usually you get some warning. Injector faults or the most common is fan issues. But everyone is right they're very fragile.

This ^^

Usually when we see one go the truck throws 6 injector codes out of nowhere.

I'm guessing a Celect Plus is an upgraded ECM? Which would make it more desirable?

The plus ecm is just as fragile IMO. We see more plus ecms go bad but that probably has more to do with the number of plus engines on the road versus standard celects.

Ah yes, the good old n14. I used to haul trucks out of Ritchie Bros all the time. People would be all over those trucks and leave stuff on and kill the batteries, the RB guys would jump the truck which killed the ecm fuse and then they put a 20 amp fuse in it. Next time they jump it = ecm gone.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You can but personally I would roll the dice and only buy it when you need it. They're not exactly cheap. It's a physical failure.

No totally different. You can swap a Celect to a plus but it requires a harness swap and all the sensors and ecm. Not a cheap swap.

Are the ECMs tunable? What kind of gains can be had by a tuned ECM.

PP claims up to 210 hp and 400 ft-lbs with a Powerbox.

Are the ECMs tunable? What kind of gains can be had by a tuned ECM.

PP claims up to 210 hp and 400 ft-lbs with a Powerbox.

Yes and it depends on what it was to start with. They're not going to win any races but they can hang with most stock newer engines.

I wouldn't use a PP box as a wheel chock.

As the others have said, good engines as far as reliability, economy, and decent power.....we had a celect in a 379 rated at 460hp and it would pull the hat off a bald man's head but not much else, went through four sets of injectors before the shop finally figured out the ECM was cracked, boss replaced that and got rid of it for a KW with a cat. I'm not a Cummins engine fan by any means but if you're gonna have one you'll be ok with an N-14.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Basically they just added some sensors to help the ecm to better regulate the engine from what I can tell, I don't know if there were any celect series engines rated over 435hp, if there is any they are quite uncommon.

510 is highest Celect, Celect Plus is 530

510 is highest Celect, Celect Plus is 530

Those are ratings you got, nothing on this side over 525hp for celect plus.

No different then that NTE400 you asked me about, euro spec only, I tried finding exhaust manifold for it over here as it was standard rotation and it doesn't exist. Same goes for CPL 1370 engine NTAA-465, one of few air to air big cams and it was not sold in the states, none of the NTAA engines were.

Last edited:
Those are ratings you got, nothing on this side over 525hp for celect plus.

No different then that NTE400 you asked me about, euro spec only, I tried finding exhaust manifold for it over here as it was standard rotation and it doesn't exist. Same goes for CPL 1370 engine NTAA-465, one of few air to air big cams and it was not sold in the states, none of the NTAA engines were.

Yes but I think the files can be get from Cummins, or at least from some hacking site from internet. I think hardware was same. That 530 version was strange, cpl says it's 525 but dealer here says it has different injector. Celect options were 445 and 510, Celect Plus 425/475/525 and then later that 530. I remember PP once mentioned some 540 hp version for agricultural equipment in their articles but never seen any info about it.

And yes, they can be programmed and respond very well to it.

Greg Ragans latest whip
94f52969e1475cf951b4b84e2b327432.jpg

Need some help troubleshooting a cat. Have a '98 3406E 350hp in a ford truck powering a stationary hammermill. Engine is down on power and will lose rpm after load is applied even with throttle to the floor. With no load it will now hesitate off idle with throttle application and then 'lope' with throttle

Any suggestions or ideas?

Does not seem to be putting any pressure in the coolant overflow and no mixing of fluids, fuel filter was changed with no improvement

Need some help troubleshooting a cat. Have a '98 3406E 350hp in a ford truck powering a stationary hammermill. Engine is down on power and will lose rpm after load is applied even with throttle to the floor. With no load it will now hesitate off idle with throttle application and then 'lope' with throttle

Any suggestions or ideas?

Does not seem to be putting any pressure in the coolant overflow and no mixing of fluids, fuel filter was changed with no improvement
Fuel pressure?

Fuel pressure?

No clue what it is and don't have anything to check it with today. Are these block mounted mechanical pumps? And is there a test port?

I'm running a separate piece of equipment so I'm not standing by it now to look for these things

Should be a pump running off the gear train on the front. There's a port in the filter head usually. 75ish psi on a healthy system, you probably wouldn't notice that much of an issue until it's way low. Will it flash codes at you?

Anything below 60 on my truck you will for sure notice it... like pull over and change the filters cause it's a useless POS at that point.

It appears that the problem is electrical, voltage was pulling down to 8.5. Have a different set of batteries for it and will probably put an alternator on. Thanks for the suggestions

It appears that the problem is electrical, voltage was pulling down to 8.5. Have a different set of batteries for it and will probably put an alternator on. Thanks for the suggestions
That's weird. Usually the ecm just turns off when it reaches the voltage threshold, I think 9.6v.

Will find out for sure soon. Truck is pretty trashed and I'm not sure how well gauges work

Yea that's weird... once they don't have enough they should just be done.