Truckers, lets see your rigs!

cd23780a6169972e58a3e5d9e7cb66d2.jpg

That's pretty sexy if you ask me. Kinda makes me want to light mine on fire and collect the insurance money. :hehe:

As mentioned above, I'm also gonna need a gear change. Lots of RPM's lost going from the Detroit to the Cummins. Not sure how it will affect it, but the Detroit governed around 3300-3400 and might hit 65 mph downhill. Not sure if I can even keep up with traffic now. LOL If anyone has rearend ration recommendations...I'm all ears. Gears 1 through 4 get me about 37 feet in the driveway.

It's a far cry from the pretty truck above.....but I paid $2500 for it and will have less than 10K in it when done.

attachment.php

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wwy-t65vlA"]8.3L Cummins Transplant Test Drive - YouTube[/ame]

Attachments

• IMG_8531.jpg
    IMG_8531.jpg
    547.9 KB · Views: 0
We own a 99 FL80 and a 2000 T800...same GVW, both single axle day cabs...Fit and finish is MILES ahead on the KW, and every bump you hot doesn't make the dash want to fall in our lap. NEVER again will there be a Freightliner product in my fleet. Same with IH since I have a buddy who works on 50 of them.

We just bought a new 6500HD for a Rollback, so far, very pleased. Power is good, but we're not heavy at all, and I love the big Allison in it. If you want to take a look at it, or drive it, it's here almost all the time.

If I was doing what you are Adam, I'd buy a big truck, with a real engine, and make it lighter. We got lucky as hell when we found a 33K GVW T800 with an N14 LOL

Chris

You’re about to make me nervous saying you’ll NEVER own another Freightliner. LOL

That's pretty sexy if you ask me. Kinda makes me want to light mine on fire and collect the insurance money. :hehe:

As mentioned above, I'm also gonna need a gear change. Lots of RPM's lost going from the Detroit to the Cummins. Not sure how it will affect it, but the Detroit governed around 3300-3400 and might hit 65 mph downhill. Not sure if I can even keep up with traffic now. LOL If anyone has rearend ration recommendations...I'm all ears. Gears 1 through 4 get me about 37 feet in the driveway.

It's a far cry from the pretty truck above.....but I paid $2500 for it and will have less than 10K in it when done.

attachment.php

8.3L Cummins Transplant Test Drive - YouTube

Make sure you do some burnouts and donuts with that thing before you put the bed back on!:hehe::hehe:

Make sure you do some burnouts and donuts with that thing before you put the bed back on!:hehe::hehe:

Damn right. Headed to OKC today to get an oil line made and fittings for the second compressor....since I neglected to put an oil feed on the first one because I'm stupid....and burned up a fresh reman'd compressor in about 7 minutes. :bang

The plan is to mount a gooseneck ball in the frame as well. It will be nice to drop the bed and haul my tractor on the gooseneck with it. It will make my 1-ton last longer not hauling around that much weight. And it is pretty spunky as low geared as it is with all that weight off of it. I might not go over 45 mph but I can launch in 4th and get there in 3 seconds. :hehe:

The M2 had constant ABS issues, which he didn't care about until the brake lights quit. Body Control Module. Air conditioner needed worked on every spring, more than a recharge, usually compressor or evaporator **** the bed over winter. The dash wanted to fall out in your lap every good bump we hit. Every axle seal leaked when we sold it, even after we fixed the rear, pretty sure the housing was starting to go. That's just the last 3 years.

The FL80 has been fairly reliable, except NOTHING works right in the cab. Tach/speedo quit years ago, have had 4 different shops try, none can fix them. A/C controls are junk, can't use the knobs to control anything, have to take the dash apart to move the mode door, get out an open hood to adjust heater valve, etc. The dash actually did fall out of that one, but luckily the steering column caught it.

They're just trash. We've had a 2004 KW T800 since new, and he haven't had the first issue out of the interior except some mouse damage. We have a mouse we can't evict LOL The 2000 T800 we just bought is just as solid, but we did have to replace a couple of switches in the cab when we bought it, some lights weren't working. We've had Pete's with over 1.5m on them too, and haven't had near the issues like the other trash.

Chris

Yea but your not a company driver, you can buy a late model truck and make it whatever you want. I built what I wanted and was tens of thousands cheaper than new. I searched for something as close to what I wanted as I could find and changed the rest. However you need to start with something built in this decade, with parts that are still available. Odd ball parts increase downtime and costs.

My point of bringing up the ISL vs the ISC is you were worried about transmission ratios. Don’t ever replace HP with gears.

Na you can keep your little truck, it’s a market I don’t understand but to each their own. You could buy one of those California single axle hay hauler semis. The look of medium duty without all the downfalls. You can get a real engine and driveline.

I wasn't trying to imply I was replacing HP for gears.. I was pointing out known issues with gear splits/shift points that happen at common road speeds.. I've had this problem with company trucks when I was a company driver along as being an O/O
25-30% jump in a gear shift creates a problem.. more so if it happens at speeds above 50.. rolling heavy or high sail scream the engine in the lower gear or lug the crap out of it in the higher gear..

Take 3.58 gears 36" tires 55mph in 4th (direct drive) is ~1800rpm.. 5th is usually .75-.70 for Allison 3000.. puts 55mph at 1300-1400rpm.. truck gets slowed down for whatever hills, traffic, Sunday driver.. now the truck is hunting between 4th locked, unlocked 5th and locked up 5th gear.. and results it throws mpg out the window..been there done that..

It's exact problem I had with the 1000series in my 07 Chevy.. had a 30% jump between 4/5 shift.. I band-aid the problem by moving the shift point to left to happen at 45mph by putting shorter gears in the diff at cost to be able to run 75 and up out west..
On a 13spd with 3.58
12th is .86 1600@55
13th is .73 1400@55
With 13sp I can run longer legs in the diff and slow driveshaft speeds down. Like 3.21-3.31
One doesnt have this problem

Attached is the graph for a 450/1250 L9 rated at 1250 at 1400-1500rpm..

6th gear on a 3000rds is .65:1(wrong on previous post)
3.90 puts 4/5 shift around 45-50 and 70 1650
3.73 puts 4/5 shift around 50-55 and 70 1590
3.58 puts 4/5 shift around 55-60 and 70 1500

One Has to wind out 4th gear to 1800-1900rpm to catch 5th gear above 1400rpm or you just slow back down and downshift back into 4th with the Allison..

With the Allison its a 500-600rpm drop on 4/5 shift pending 5th ratio option... on a 13sp it's 250rpm drop from 11/12(direct to 1st OD) and I'm running lower gear to ~1700 vs ~1900 with the Allison, to catch next gear by 1400rpm

To me less time spent below/above peak TQ the more efficient the setup will be..

While back I ran across a guy with a M2-106 ISL9/3000 with 3.90 gears 255/70/22.5 tires with 350hp.. 5th gear was too steep to run up jelico grade at 50k which forced him to play elephant races at ~40-45mph.. best tank mpg he was low 7mpg.. avg mid 6
worse tank mpg I got was 6.9mpg, best was 11.2mpg avg mid 9mpg with a worn out mechanical 8.3.. got less that 8k on the rebuild before I parked the truck. I was avg high 9s with it..

I'm assuming you've seen rpm to speed charts for transmissions? This basically all I'm doing.

Those day cab single axle truck out of CA would be nice starting point

Attachments

• IMG_20190807_093632574.jpg
    IMG_20190807_093632574.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 0
Apparently this did post with other posts

Jory..
What trans and tire size is in/on it and how fast you want to run? Lol

Attachments

• IMG_20190807_081603555.jpg
    IMG_20190807_081603555.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 0
Apparently this did post with other posts

Jory..
What trans and tire size is in/on it and how fast you want to run? Lol

I'll have to look at the tires as I have no idea what size they are. It's never mattered to me until now.

Tranny is an FS-5106 Eaton 6-speed. I'd at least like to hold 65 mph and not be holding up traffic. I'm not sure where 70 mph would ever be required, but at least 65-70 would be nice.

6th is direct. I have no idea what two speed is in it and if low is direct or high is direct or what. I've never messed with that part of it either. I needs more edumakation in that ballpark.

attachment.php

Attachments

• FS-5106 Gear Ratio.JPG
    FS-5106 Gear Ratio.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 0
With 40-42" (11r22.5)tall tires ~3.21:1 would put you 65 @1600-1700rpm

I'm kinda out of my element on 2sp diff...
Basically understanding of it was back before they had high/low in the transmission.. the high/low was in the diff..

It's no laughing matter LOL Cost me literally 10's of thousands over the last few years.

Chris

Freightliner spares no expense. They do use 2 colors of wire on the entire truck.

Wonder how many good head gaskets were replaced because FL used an air controlled heater valve that would leak and pressurize the radiator.

Classic is ok and so is the FLD120 but the new stuff is horrible.

I'll have to look at the tires as I have no idea what size they are. It's never mattered to me until now.

Tranny is an FS-5106 Eaton 6-speed. I'd at least like to hold 65 mph and not be holding up traffic. I'm not sure where 70 mph would ever be required, but at least 65-70 would be nice.

6th is direct. I have no idea what two speed is in it and if low is direct or high is direct or what. I've never messed with that part of it either. I needs more edumakation in that ballpark.

attachment.php

With 40-42" (11r22.5)tall tires ~3.21:1 would put you 65 @1600-1700rpm

I'm kinda out of my element on 2sp diff...
Basically understanding of it was back before they had high/low in the transmission.. the high/low was in the diff..

H/L switch should be air actuated on the diff...maybe can get it working.. or swap rear axle out to a single speed diff which obviously be more $$$

Eaton 2 Speed Axle Part 01 - YouTube
Eaton 2 Speed Axle Part 02 - YouTube

Last edited:
My wife and I took a 2 week trip to Ireland, Wales, and England for our 15th anniversary. Got home last night.
Saw this in Ireland. John, can you explain? :hehe:

Attachments

• C34D283C-78E4-44CD-BAE7-A75BD772DA4C.jpg
    C34D283C-78E4-44CD-BAE7-A75BD772DA4C.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 0
Swung by Pete dealer.. gave sales guy the basics on the mutt.. ~400hp 8.3, 13sp, 3.58 gears 255/70/22.5 rubber, 26k GVW, needs to be able to run 75mph min when out west.. ~160 WB with enough CA to run a SD trailer..

Comes back with 337 33k truck same rubber, 3000RDS w/PTO (resale reasoning ~$500 option now.. 2-3k after).. with 3.73-3.90 diff gears..

Look up gear ratios for 3000rds... Top 3
1:1
.75-.70
Top 3 for the rtlo164913

That 25-30% jump between direct and 1st OD is a ***** when pulling hard. same problem I had with my dmax... But 90% of the market wants auto something transmission..

And it's would be lucky to run 75 with 3.73-3.90 with 36" rubber

Where did you come up with those ratios for the RTLO, top gear should be .73, there isnt that big of jump between splits.

What sort of issues?

Mine is an 01 Classic XL.
In my limited experience, the fld120/classic are pretty solid, anything with that cab seems to be built way better. They still arent a paccar but they're about a million times better than the columbia/cascadia or any of the md's.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

attachment.php

8.3L Cummins Transplant Test Drive - YouTube

Hell if you are going to burn yours, fake it and I'll take it. Be an upgrade to mine. Poor old loadstar gets a variety of jobs. This week its hauling cow turds

Attachments

• 20190806_171822.jpg
    20190806_171822.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 0
My wife and I took a 2 week trip to Ireland, Wales, and England for our 15th anniversary. Got home last night.

Saw this in Ireland. John, can you explain? :hehe:

Every family has their runt, apparently mine lives in Ireland. Lmao