Truckers, lets see your rigs!

I've looked at it, and it seems fairly decent, the guy was going to put a small dump on it.
Between hauling rock, steel shred, and searching for clean drivers, he doesn't have the time to mess with it. I'd be willing to bet the price is quite flexible. He basically paid for the inframe and new tires and got the rest for free.

Last edited:
Truckpaper is flooded with these.

Asking $50k, C15 10spd 2001 379

9c7231cf8d44ccd31177e000aadfcdb3.jpg

2006 for $30k. C7 Allison.
a3c723c73b461b73e2ed9309e9746a30.jpg

$20k C12
2450d2bc9013cb6878ed824c14428d22.jpg

C7 Allison $24,900 in saint Mary’s

0568b0374d5e19ea7a958ad34000f601.jpg

Last edited:
If I was to get into hot shot work this is exactly what I would buy. A pickup is just to small and there is no need for a class 8 truck.

"Why buy a pony to do a horses job."

This was a friend of mines. Shorty 379. C12 with a 13. Swapped a 23k locking rear in it. He actually didnt have a ton into it. Goin to Cali to bring it home was the worst part. But 0 rust and corrosion was worth it. We stretched it a fair bit and put a sleave in the rails.
That first one failkner put must be a sled....

Attachments

• 37386717_262845350972958_3806654541219233792_n.jpg
    37386717_262845350972958_3806654541219233792_n.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hell if you are going to burn yours, fake it and I'll take it. Be an upgrade to mine. Poor old loadstar gets a variety of jobs. This week its hauling cow turds

It think with a swap of the directional control valve, this truck would be more versatile. The lift is power up and gravity down. If it was power both directions, I could mount a boom to the pivots and basically have a lift....or a bale spike on the back to feed.....or a set of couplers to move equipment....etc. Lot of ideas that wouldn't take much effort to do now that I've got all the pins loose and cleaned where I can pull the bed easily.

If I was to get into hot shot work this is exactly what I would buy. A pickup is just to small and there is no need for a class 8 truck.

"Why buy a pony to do a horses job."

2 of the horses Jon posted have a ponys size heart......
Detroit has a DD5 liter out for the 4/5/6 class trucks

You can get a ISB5.9/6.7 size engine in everything from class 2(3/4 ton) to class 8 from 6500lb-56,000lb gvw trucks...

Back to the analogy of 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 ratchets for a 5/16-18 nut

Avg HS trailer grosses no more than 30,000lbs when fully loaded... as an avg one runs 2-12k axles with a 30k coupler

2 of the horses Jon posted have a ponys size heart......
Detroit has a DD5 liter out for the 4/5/6 class trucks

You can get a ISB5.9/6.7 size engine in everything from class 2(3/4 ton) to class 8 from 6500lb-56,000lb gvw trucks...

Back to the analogy of 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 ratchets for a 5/16-18 nut

Avg HS trailer grosses no more than 30,000lbs when fully loaded... as an avg one runs 2-12k axles with a 30k coupler

A C12, C7 and a C15 are small hearts? I bet the make more torque than a Duramax. Plus, they're rebuild-able engines.

Also, clutches are bigger, transmissions are heavier, frames are heavier, higher weight rating on tires and wheels, drive train is heavier, tires last longer, better gearing for pulling, easier to work on.

This was a friend of mines. Shorty 379. C12 with a 13. Swapped a 23k locking rear in it. He actually didnt have a ton into it. Goin to Cali to bring it home was the worst part. But 0 rust and corrosion was worth it. We stretched it a fair bit and put a sleave in the rails.
That first one failkner put must be a sled....

Can go there and find cheap single axles. Everyone is trying to get rid of them.

My dad found a 359 a couple years ago he was going to buy instead of a pickup. Made arrangements with the guy and all. Before he could get a plane ticket out there someone from Australia paid more for the truck and covered the shipping cost. Kind of a disappointment because the truck was so nice.

We deliver feed in a 200 mile radius. We always had used a pickup and trailer. As we grew we stepped up to a tandem dual trailer and a 3500 pickup. Our loads would range up to 20k which including the pickup and trailer we would be at 35k.

Last year we bought a m2 112 (rattle trap as stated earlier haha) with an isl and 10 speed. Stretched the frame and put a flatbed on and set it up so we could still pull the trailer as well. It's a single axle with the give higher than 33k. I'd have to look again to be sure of what it is again.

The versitillity and comfort of the pickup was off set with the driveability and safety of the truck. You can now have full control of the trailer vs it controlling you.

To find a medium duty single axle over 33k with a bigger motor than the 6 to 7l range took some time. It's an old Ryder tractor so its pretty bare bones but it was cheap. A lot less than setting up a pickup that we would wear out in a year and a half.

A C12, C7 and a C15 are small hearts? I bet the make more torque than a Duramax. Plus, they're rebuild-able engines.

Also, clutches are bigger, transmissions are heavier, frames are heavier, higher weight rating on tires and wheels, drive train is heavier, tires last longer, better gearing for pulling, easier to work on.

Remark was related to the C7.. which competes with the ISB5.9 and DT444 of the time.
C7 maxed out at 360/925... For OEM specs

Basically same engine that's in a 3500 stuffed in a truck that's ~40-50% heavier truck dragging same trailer weight with less HP/TQ......
And generally get less MPG than the smaller trucks doing it..

Tilt hoods are nice, at least on the non cab forward MD/HD trucks..

I guy I know runs a late 90s VNL Day cab Volvo with Cummins 10 liter and 10sp..avg low 8mpg doing same work I do... To my upper 9mpg with an C8.3 and mid 10mpg with the LMM.....

Bigger doesn't always mean better

Glad your LMM got 10mpg...my L5P won't get 9 pulling our trailer. The new rollback is getting 9mpg so far as well.

I wouldn't bet on much mileage out of the newer pickups, HP kills mileage in them

Chris

Glad your LMM got 10mpg...my L5P won't get 9 pulling our trailer. The new rollback is getting 9mpg so far as well.

I wouldn't bet on much mileage out of the newer pickups, HP kills mileage in them

Chris

It avg upper 11 with stock pistons and 10 with ovals with the LMM

Friend has ~70-80k on a '19 L5P drags drainage tile for ADS... Ifta mid upper 9s with ~50% loaded miles for Q2 this year.. he runs west out of NW Chicago suburb area

I'm sure there's room for improvement... Definitely not horrible "out of the box"

Whenever someone tells me how great their fuel mileage is I tune them out because 99% of the time it’s bullchit.

Friend of mine did some work on a couple 389’s in AZ. The trucks are identical in every way but the color. Both are 2018 X15’s and even have the same ecm file. One is stoked that he’s in the high 6’s and the other is whining that he’s in the low 5’s.

My point is for everyone that brags what they get, there are 10 identical trucks getting something else.

Whenever someone tells me how great their fuel mileage is I tune them out because 99% of the time it’s bullchit.

Friend of mine did some work on a couple 389’s in AZ. The trucks are identical in every way but the color. Both are 2018 X15’s and even have the same ecm file. One is stoked that he’s in the high 6’s and the other is whining that he’s in the low 5’s.

My point is for everyone that brags what they get, there are 10 identical trucks getting something else.

I'm not bragging... Never been one to brag.. I'm horrible at it honestly... And yes I've been the exception majority of my life to the general rule of thumb

Every time this comes up we talk about fuel mileage. *bdh*

What about other things such as brakes, tires, longevity of the truck, frame, etc?

At the end of the day, to each his own. If it were me, I would be using a medium duty truck. Just my opinion.

Every time this comes up we talk about fuel mileage. *bdh*

What about other things such as brakes, tires, longevity of the truck, frame, etc?

At the end of the day, to each his own. If it were me, I would be using a medium duty truck. Just my opinion.

the C3500HD I running right now is a Class 4 truck..

we've hashed this out before lol..
maintenance regarding
fuel(mpg not withstanding)
oil
brakes
tires
etc
basically break even at CPM if they guys where smart about their stuff.

my FL60 costs more to go down the road than 3 other trucks I have ran
99 C3500HD
97 C3500HD
07.5 3500HD..
random WTF failures excluded
when considering basic common routine maintenance items
I can pull basic wear items service life I saw up... for all 4 trucks... if you like...

Last edited:
I'm not bragging... Never been one to brag.. I'm horrible at it honestly... And yes I've been the exception majority of my life to the general rule of thumb

I wasn’t referring to you, I’m talking about the steering wheel holders or the fuel mileage Nazis we meet. They’re like the trucking vegans, can’t go 5 min without telling someone. I check my mileage when I can but not for any other reason other than curiosity. If it’s 3 or 13mpg I don’t care because everything else is great.

I know guys with 1 truck and guys with 50 and most are the same. It’s not that fuel or parts costs aren’t important but an unreliable truck that’s cheap to operate can cost you ten times what a good truck will. Leave a shipper or customer hanging too many times because your truck keeps breaking down will get you booted.

I would buy a late model Paccar medium duty or one of those single axle trucks with a real driveline and never look back. Pickup tow ratings IMO are bullchit, not intended for daily working at that weight. More for the weekend camper folk. Where I’ve got more than double the rated torque on a bone stock transmission a pickup needs a complete rebuild to handle a handheld tuner and don’t even attempt to work it on kill.

I would buy a late model Paccar medium duty or one of those single axle trucks with a real driveline and never look back. Pickup tow ratings IMO are bullchit, not intended for daily working at that weight. More for the weekend camper folk. Where I’ve got more than double the rated torque on a bone stock transmission a pickup needs a complete rebuild to handle a handheld tuner and don’t even attempt to work it on kill.

This is what I was driving at.