Tune or pump it up then tune?

Lucas1

Current set up runs good.BUT....
Way more smokey off idle then I can handle have the smoke screw wound all the way out and fuel pin back to stock and set conservative.
Runs 14.7 in quarter mile.honestly not impressed with the performance considering how much $$$ and effort is in this truck.
Sad when a stock d max is just as quick,rides better and has comfort.

I have a 215hp p pump swap to go in but am hesitant because I am worried about drive ability.
Needs to be 100% street able.

If the swap happens I don't want a smokey mess behind me at all times(company truck)
I woul also consider a smaller injector 5x12/5x14

What can I expect if i swap the pump.
Also would do colt stage 4 camshaft at same time.

Or should I move on to a new d max

Those are big injectors and big housing on the primary...

If you want comfort and power, you will never be satisfied with a 1st Gen.

Move on.

Yep I don't think I can get rid of it.
Too much money in it:doh:
Prob $25k:doh:

Riding in a new payment is nice though.... Hmmmmmmm

Wonder how the p pump and smaller injectors will work with my setup

What's the mph? Seems down on power....any dynos in your area?

if i were you i would pull the trigger on the p pump change. Then with smaller injectors that you already mentioned plan on a very street friendly 500+ hp that would put you way in the 12's on the daily..
your injectors are killing any type of daily driving right now and for whatever reason you arent making any of the kind of power i would expect from it either..

Where's your timing set at? I only made 18 more hp and lost torque with my 6x16s,'compared to my old 5x12s. I jumped a tooth of timing and it made a big difference. Also with that stout transmission you have there, what psi do you launch at? I know BC847 launches 20+ psi range with his built trans. Where as I still have stock shafts and launch at 15psi tops.

Well I am very disappointed with the power too.

Mph I can't quite remember . But it was good 118 or something maybe
Can't remember.

Launched at 15 psi
Hits 64psi boosts .

It is possible I have a small boost leak.
Iam going to check again this week.

Waste gate for the he351 is ported but I found the best performance is with waste gate shut completely and driving the 475,
Drive pressure is around 1.2 .... Kinda wired it comes up 2:1 until about 40 psi the kinda levels out about 40+ psi to 1.2-1.4 ish

Only timed to the head and hot wired ksb

There is a dyno in town but I didn't want to pay the fortune if I was p pumping soon anyway. Bug if it gets my setup running better with the p pump maybe it's worth it.

I figured I'd see 13's. wasn't happy with high 14's

And am I crazy to have expected the 475 to clean up the 5x18's?

Last edited:
Also since I have some response.

I've noticed rpm seams to de fuel before 3600
And valves seam to float.

Springs are stock , I should consider 110# shouldn't I ?

Also so everyone is clear smoke on idle to 40 mph is controllable but I can also fill a intersection with ease .afc is set very conservative .

I would like to find a competent shop to do the tuning as this truck has sucked almost all the fun/interest out of the sport for me. Lol

The much better AFC tuning on a p-pump will help with the smoke.

I'd definitely be thinking of putting in at least exhaust springs just for safeties sake if nothing else.

What's your fuel pressure at 3600?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Mph I can't quite remember . But it was good 118 or something maybe
Can't remember.

You need to figure it out...118mph would indicated you're more than there on power, you just need traction. 118 is 11 second mph!

You need more timing. Your power levels will rise with a tooth skipped. My egts went down and smoke cleared a little. Your making quite a bit of boost as well.

118 mph is right
Traction is no issue 4x4 and 4 12.5" wide tires across the back

I know timing will help a bit.

Injectors are really big I figure because if I let off quick under WOT it will run itself out of fuel and needs the injectors bled.
Fuel pressure is really weird idles at 10 psi and bounces like crazy.
I have the " snubber " for the auto meter gauge .
Under full WOT it goes up to 15 psi .

Things that baffle me

High boost big injectors and a slow truck

Let off WOT quick and it runs itself out of fuel

Bouncing fuel pressure gauge that seems to do f all.

terrible fuel mileage .... Like 11-13mpg tops

well im not sure why your mph is so good and shows good hp but your et is so slow.. et is made in the first part of the track.
for example my half ton last week ran 11.98@114 and was traction limited to only a 1.99 sixty foot time. My truck wieghs 5000lbs, it takes 476hp average to run 11.98 and 516hp to go 115..

I was really stubborn on not jumping a tooth of timing. It took a bad dyno run with the 6x16s for me to realize you need a lot of timing. I was making alot of boost and could peg my pyro like that. Now I make around 55 psi boost and it takes the truck a whe to get to 1600. But it still will. With a large injector it will be smokey. 118 in the quarter is probably well over 600hp with a 7k lbs truck. I ran a 14.50 @ 90 with my truck. No traction issues.

That thing with the injectors getting air-bound, Bosch calls it "Combustion-gas Blow Back". They made a DV to correct that, but you can eliminate the issue with learning to roll off the throttle instead of side-stepping it when coming off WOT.

Try making a pass without the KSB. With the KSB off, play with the timing both advanced and retarded. You might be a little over-advanced. It'd be extra cool if you could dial-in the timing on a dyno and then verify the results at the track. ;)

What's the truck's weight and 60'ET? Are you hearing the primary spool up as you build boost before launch?

I don't know that those 35" tires are helping the ET, but they and that lock-up converter sure appear to help the speed. :)

Where are you shifting gears at?

Last edited:
Your truck should NOT feel slow with a 118mph timeslip, unless your daily driver is a twin turbo Lamborghini......something fishy here......

IMG_8119_zps2f7ea7ca.jpg

I am sorry it is possible the mph time is wrong.
Just going off memory .

Bc847 thanks for the heads up.

I am not trying to make a 11 sec drag truck just a quick daily driver hauler that can keep up to the d maxs and chipped common rails in my neck of the woods.

Obviously 35" tall tires are killing performance.
I just start to hear the bottom turbo spooling when I launch
And shifting around 3300 as far as the junk auto meter gauge tells me.

I notice if I manually shift it around 3100-3200 it doesn't really change ET time but any lower then that it will bark/surge the lower turbo.

I don't reall want to skip tooth and play around too much or on dyno if I am actually going to swap pumps, kinda wasted effort.

Do you guys think a less smokey p pump running a smaller injector can run a clean healthy 600 hp?

Here's pics of my set up
4372E894-BB70-4A50-90BD-73F6E8EF3801-1053-000000D17A5F42FE_zps67572a35.jpg

AE7E6B48-2F07-4C9F-9E09-06D163FBF80F-1053-000000D179860C76_zpsc1826a40.jpg

55F960DF-4CC6-4160-B26E-238F1F6E0ED3-1053-000000D1792B1CD6_zps7e4213e2.jpg

3A63DB18-1179-447B-B2E3-ACBB42159279-1053-000000D1789E1ED6_zpsd3870a07.jpg

47F5F983-798B-4FF1-A92B-EBB9AA713795-1053-000000D2E5BE1C49_zps486e42c1.jpg

5594CF89-D344-4C71-8311-564EB02CCFB9-471-00000071B1E717C7_zpse7b4f42b.jpg
last one isn't recent . I have all the mouldings on and winch bumper now.

Do you guys think a less smokey p pump running a smaller injector can run a clean healthy 600 hp?

To answer this question, yes. But like most mechanical pumps it requires tuning, and patients. Or someone who knows there way with the pumps.

Back