Turbo Flow Rates

Idaho CTD said:
RD,

The Big Brother only flows about 120lbs/min. The S510 is more like 160lbs/min. The S510 is in another league. If you see one up close you'd understand that ;).

I've seen an S510, and I don't know how anyone could fit that without MAJOR cutting on the truck. It dwarfs an S4T in size. It would be nice if someone had a small turbo that flowed 140+lbs, spooled fast and didn't require cutting the truck :woohoo: . Its just a little bit to ask for....lol. Even a big GT series unit like a GT47 is BIG and they only flow 130-135 or so.

anyone got a side by side pic of an s480/s4t and an s510?
RD, do you mean 71 turbine wheel or like a k31 hybrid of some sort?

The big GT's will fit though. There is going to be a S510 in a 3rd gen or two before long :). It'll be a plumbing nightmare but it's going to happen without cutting. Might need some new AC lines by the time I'm done though. I haven't look at a 2nd gen in awhile to see if there is a way to fit one but I remember plumbing a BB a few years back and it was tight. I have a picture of a GT42 next to a S510 I'll have to try and find so people can get an idea of the size. It would be like comparing a S300 and a S400.

Idaho CTD said:
The big GT's will fit though. There is going to be a S510 in a 3rd gen or two before long :). It'll be a plumbing nightmare but it's going to happen without cutting. Might need some new AC lines by the time I'm done though. I haven't look at a 2nd gen in awhile to see if there is a way to fit one but I remember plumbing a BB a few years back and it was tight. I have a picture of a GT42 next to a S510 I'll have to try and find so people can get an idea of the size. It would be like comparing a S300 and a S400.

I have a old link to a picture of a S510 beside a 76mm T4 unit from Garret that the guys at FI built for me. My GT 76mm unit comp cover is close to the size of the standard S400.

IMG_1483.jpg

Here is a picture I got from them from a crazy customer of theirs they built a Twin S510 Dodge Demon with a 666ci engine.......:bang

02-07-07%200019.jpg

supersmoke said:
I've seen an S510, and I don't know how anyone could fit that without MAJOR cutting on the truck. It dwarfs an S4T in size. It would be nice if someone had a small turbo that flowed 140+lbs, spooled fast and didn't require cutting the truck :woohoo: . Its just a little bit to ask for....lol. Even a big GT series unit like a GT47 is BIG and they only flow 130-135 or so.

Did you look at the Garret GT55?

Jetpilot said:
Did you look at the Garret GT55?

Yeah, but dang they are pricey. I know the S91 is a good unit that makes big power and is the size of a GT42, but not sure if the turbine is big enough for an extreme setup.

which of the garrett series in the gt42 range would work well for a primary charger in a twin application where the secondary is a htt/62-14?

With enough body lift anything is possible.
But why dont yawl get a big charger off of a big detroit. You will get enough air to think maybe that 150psi boost gauge wasn't enough. Then you will have $$$ left to fix the truck.
But damn, what did those 510s come on, I need to get junkyarding for one or 2. My little 85mm garret is feeling jealous.

feelmecummin said:
man that 510 is a big snail!
i bet that demon is quite a ride...

I heard from the guys at the shop, the car has already gone 4.51@171 on a slow tune. :bang.

Where can a guy find a GT55 with a .90 housing? I think that would be a good bottem turbo on a set of twins.

Sloverado said:
Where can a guy find a GT55 with a .90 housing? I think that would be a good bottem turbo on a set of twins.

The $$$ pain threshold on the GT55 and S510 is up there. Think all the other turbos plus add 1K and you'll be close.

The turbo I've been telling you about and the one Doug is using is A LOT cheaper for nearly the same performance.

Idaho CTD said:
The $$$ pain threshold on the GT55 and S510 is up there. Think all the other turbos plus add 1K and you'll be close.

The turbo I've been telling you about and the one Doug is using is A LOT cheaper for nearly the same performance.

A GT55 but cheaper?? Wow that would be awesome, but how big is it?? The problem for most is the size of these damn big units.

jamesl said:
which of the garrett series in the gt42 range would work well for a primary charger in a twin application where the secondary is a htt/62-14?

CHOPPED LIVER???

jamesl said:

I have the bigger of the two GT42s on my truck...with the 1.15 A/R Housing

jamesl said:

A GT4202 or a GT4508 would be my choice. The GT4508 only comes in BB so they are very expensive.

Idaho CTD said:
A GT4202 or a GT4508 would be my choice. The GT4508 only comes in BB so they are very expensive.

You hit that one on the head. A plain bearing GT42 can be had for $1100 NIB. At GT45 costs more than twice that.:bang

What do think about a hybrid GT42 with a GT45 comp side?

Could that be done for le$$ than a GT45 BB?

Back