Turbo Flow Rates

joefarmer said:
CFM means nothing without air temp, MSL and a compressor map. If you really want a good comparison, you'd need to overlay the compressor maps of each.

bnraond.

He could not have said it better.

If you exceed the efficiency of a given compressor wheel then there is not much more power to be made. Just a lot of Hot air. We all know hot air does not exactly equal a lot of horsepower. Also for a rule of thumb: For every 1 degree drop of charge air (Boost) = 1 degree loss of exhaust gas temp.

If you look at a Holeset Hx35 that has been running near 35-40 psi of boost for any long duration you will notice how the compressor housing will start to change colors, from the aluminum color to a brownish color. That is because the compressor is running WAY too far out of its efficienty range and creating some really hot air and burning the coating on the housing. It can still technically flow More CFM's but that higher number of air flow comes at a MUCH higher temp. Therefore not really creating more power.
You can figure out the efficienty of a compressor wheel by looking at compressor maps.

what turbo would be good for a big turbo in a twins setup with my 64/14??? I have been thinking along the lines of an S471.

lance

oldsmokey97 said:
what turbo would be good for a big turbo in a twins setup with my 64/14??? I have been thinking along the lines of an S471.

lance

S471 isn't big enough;) It's only a 71mm wheel. A B2 is 75mm, you need at least that much!

Chris

I was waiting on someone to mention a 4C, a friend of mine ran one with a B1 on top it made 808hp with a mild tune @ 20deg timming.
I have a few S400s and 1 with a titanium wheel Ill have to check those for there sizes, and an HT60 with a 26 cm divided exh housing. Im asuming most of these are divided and not open throats.

Smokem said:
Aurora 2000 - S300G
Aurora 5000 - K31

What is the CFM for the aurora 5000? Does any body know the CFM for the 4C? I am always looking at getting a biger turbo. Currently running teh big brother.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent thread guys alot of good info, I was also wondering what difference the divided or open turbine housings make?

Justin

I thought a few people from ATS are on this site. Nobody knows what CFM the auraru 5000 is?

gunracer1 said:
ok i screwed up, but i bet it is in the 1000 cfm range.

Really thats all it flows? rumor has it this is maddog bottom turbo does any body know if thats true also?:st:

his bottom turbo is in the hx82 range i belive. if i remember right it has a inducer in the 3.5 range.

gunracer1 said:
it is a k31, isn't that on the list?

I thought it was in the 1200 range. I remeber hearing that it puts out more than the 3b.

i thought maddog had the phat bastard on the bottom, a5k on top. the phatty is a 95mm compressor wheel

Holysmoke said:
I thought a few people from ATS are on this site. Nobody knows what CFM the auraru 5000 is?

A5K, 1,316 cfm according to what ATS has listed on their website