UDC Sample Tunes

I just returned from towing my 5th wheel to test my posted 2012 12 30 tune and one that John sent me, the temp is 24* and both tunes showed the RP assigned to the table cells per the load%..

I wonder if this is a 03/04 issue or its just the 03/04's that can't see engine load at 100% either.. Need some input from other early third gen guys.

Well, I thought it would be a little hot because of the RP but actually it was just the opposite, when accelerating into the 60-65% load area my EGT's never went over 950*.. That's because the timing in the valley is lower and the RP map increases in the same area then the boost goes up very quick into 40+ psi which keeps the EGT's down.. between the two tunes cruising results where identical except John's tune has lower RP but the EGT's did get hotter in the upper load areas with his tune.. I still need to compile all of the data between mine and John's tune.. I love how the torque settings of John's felt while driving unloaded, I'm going to try that on my 12-30.. I will report back more a bit later on the two..

Hey John I missed this quote a while back on your sample tune. why would a larger or higher flowing turbo cause rattle?

This is my theory.. With a better flowing, i.e. less backpressure, turbo you get more airflow thru the cylinder and thus fresher air. The overall fresher air has more oxygen and less of an ignition delay, thus too much timing can make it rattle.

With my cam/turbo combo I get a bunch more rattle on the stock tune than I did stock, and my theory is that there is less nasty air in the cylinder so a faster ignition of the fuel. This is why at I run less than stock timing in a few places on my map and get great results.

Do the users with +04.5 trucks notice the same rail pressure versus IAT trend?

I have not noticed such a trend.

Last edited:
Look above your last post :)

2005 - HE351/A5K - ARP - Arson lll - 70HP Nozzles

Look above your last post :)

Yeah I was typing when you did that :lolly:

Without a sample to look at in UDC I can't compare the two as far as timing at a specific load/duration, but your tuning has much more aggressive timing than mine. Mine is a hair on the conservative side. What kind of EGT's were you seeing? Were you running a winter front for the test? How heavy is your trailer?

Yeah I wanted to do all of the comparing between the two, I took video also between the two tunes... I will make a full report when I get it all together... Cruise egt 700* for both tunes, yes on the winter front and the trailer is 10k... Yours is probably more economical the cruise area cause yours has higher timing. Yours got hotter in the upper load area when acceleration into highway ramps..

Gotcha... like I said in the PM I left a bit of timing out of the top of the load area so you can play with it.

Took truck to work today.. about a 100 mile round trip mostly highway. Truck drove very well with the Lawless 12-30-12 with the Rail Pressure tweaked so I do not run over 24k. Very smooth and easy to drive.. Cruising was around 650 degrees at 70mph. Would go up/down about 100 degrees depending on elevations. I will not be changing anything until I have some other parts added to my truck. This tune has got to be the best I have driven my truck with to date.

Arson3, Extreme Studs in the mail, Merry Xmas. Also need to get my rail guage installed so I can do some testing prior to adding Arson3. Am curious if I will be able to tell what advantages this improves on truck.

Step 1 guages and some testing and data collecting..
Step 2 add studs and arson kit..
Step 3 More testing and data collecting..
Then see what I can do at that point..

Does anyone have an opinion on what boost I should be able to run my s478 to?
Presently have it set to 50lbs. I know drive pressure will be somewhat of a concern using my stocker as it has not been ported as much as Randys..

The way this software is working I am thinking I may want to try my Silver 62 over the S478? I was able to drive the Silver 62 as a single but really had to learn how to drive to control smoke. Wonder if I could tune the smoke out using UDC now? Would help a large amount on the drive pressure for sure over the stock turbo.

Was able to make 525hp on the Silver 62 as a single would be capable of some HP if I could get Silver62 over S478 running cleanly.. :-)
Maybe that will be a Spring project once it gets a little warmer..

Glad it is working for you.. I don't think that you will have any problems spooling the 62 with that tune... I set the tune up to spool quick and it works great on my set up, It jumps right up to 40+ lbs. With medium throttle.. I can push 60lbs. Of boost with my set up if I want to..

The Silver 62 is a very slow spooling turbo.. 62 inducer and 74 exducer on a 14cm housing.. I could get it to spool well with Smarty's higher settings but then had to be careful from dead stops to not cause eclipses.. Is a very sturdy turbo and think it will work well as compounds. It will be tried at some point for sure.

Was funny when the wife would take the truck to the store.. Would get cloudy outside. That was part of the reason I went stocker over S475 originally.

The stocker spools so fast compared to Silver 62.. HP went from 490's to 520's when I ran it as a single..

If you are still on stock head bolts I would move studs to #1, especially with that tune and any right pedal

Unless you live on the track I don't think the Silver 62 is a good turbo for twins. You could tune for it, at least much better than it was, but I am not sure it would be worth it unless you live at boost and upper rpms.

Point taken.. I am a sensible person in regard to right foot. Truck has made it to 172k so far..
Studs I agree are important.. No crazy WOT tests.. Mostly want to get some data for fuel rail pressures before doing the Arson3.

Thanks.. I agree somewhat with the comments regarding Silver 62 as the stocker is 90% capable of what my driving needs are. The UDC just seems like I could maybe make it work.. If I keep the stocker I will need to do some modifications to wasgate similar to what Randy did so drive pressure is not an issue.

Any ideas from anyone on what boost levels are typical for the S475/478 turbos? Is much more than 50lbs outside of what I should try and do with it? 1st set of compounds I have ever had. I could see close to 50lbs with the Silver 62 when I ran it as a single.

I had always thought 50lbs was OK on the stock studs as long as temps/timing was not crazy.. I have always kept temps at 1350.. TST set to defuel at 1350

Last edited:
Any ideas from anyone on what boost levels are typical for the S475/478 turbos? Is much more than 50lbs outside of what I should try and do with it? 1st set of compounds I have ever had. I could see close to 50lbs with the Silver 62 when I ran it as a single.

I had always thought 50lbs was OK on the stock studs as long as temps/timing was not crazy..

I ran a Silver 62 for over two years as a single, would slap 60+ lbs on a daily basis. It was a laggy charger until it lit, that would only be more pronounced as a secondary in a set of compounds. Sounds like you could tune some of that out with UDC, just not sure how much in regards to the effort for the install...as AH64ID stated, unless racing or pulling I am doubtful this would be an application for a dd.

With my set of compounds, I've adjusted my fuel to 1250* max, wastegate blocked shut, on a real hard wot pull I can hit 60 lbs (I can far surpass 60 lbs with more fuel). I set them up under instruction from BD(Piers Harry), told me if I kept egt's under 1200* the head gasket would hold. Still have stock studs.

You will enjoy the Arson III, it was the factor/mod that finally pushed my truck over 600hp. In the 6th post down in the following link, I pointed out a couple of time saving tips on the install.
Arson III kit - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum

I have never understood the correlation between EGT's and head gaskets holding. You can create far more cylinder pressure at 60 psi of boost and 1000° than 20 psi of boost at 1400°. The studs go thru the head, which is water cooled so I would put more into a relationship between coolant temp and studs than EGT's.

I used JJPage advice when I installed my Arson lll and had no problems keeping the ball bearing in place..

I have never understood the correlation between EGT's and head gaskets holding. You can create far more cylinder pressure at 60 psi of boost and 1000° than 20 psi of boost at 1400°. The studs go thru the head, which is water cooled so I would put more into a relationship between coolant temp and studs than EGT's.

I'm not sure what affect egt's have on head gaskets either, however I have been following that advice without issues. I am picking up a set of studs though...been thinking of picking up a set of Marco's injectors from Rip too.

Back