UDC Timing Calculator

OK. Out of curiosity why not have values there in the timing table in that area?

Timing needs duration to calculate, so when it's 0 the timing is 0, as the calculator is being told there is 0 fuel being injected.

John,
What should be used for this timing line? The stock row for my 2004.5-2007 truck?
Thanks

I go a few degrees below the line below. It not too common to use the top row, except near zero throttle coasting, which is a easy place for timing rattle. The few degrees keeps the minimal fuel rattle from occurring.

John Duration table ?
If I look at my rail table at the 2400 rpm/100% eng load cell I have 24,000 psi there. So looking at the duration table which cell is it? Would it be the Q18/Q19 cell area based on RPM & load or the AA18/AA19 cells based on load and MPa?

With the recent addition of copy and paste in UDC, has anyone had any issues copying from UDC to the timing calculator? Any time I copy even one cell and try pasting it into the calculator it always copies all of the map labels and pastes them into the calculator starting at the cell I'm trying to paste into too.

I use an extra worksheet in the spreadsheet.

From UDC copy Duration, pressure and timing into this extra worksheet.
When you select the entire sheet in UDC you get labels and all but once in XLS you can cut only the data fields needed to use in the other pages of the timing XLS file.

Works for me..

OK. I was thinking I was doing something wrong in the copy and paste.

Thanks.

Mads sure has strange ways of doing things.

Yeah I just add a sheet and past all my values from each table then I cut and paste from that sheet into each tab in the calculator.

You have to copy/paste the whole table, not just a single cell or region. Once you are used to it then it goes pretty quick to adjust a tune.

John Duration table ?
If I look at my rail table at the 2400 rpm/100% eng load cell I have 24,000 psi there. So looking at the duration table which cell is it? Would it be the Q18/Q19 cell area based on RPM & load or the AA18/AA19 cells based on load and MPa?

Ignore the rpm labels. It will be a blend of AA18/AA19.

When using the calc reverse sheet where exactly do you put the duration and pressure
from udc? Just want to be sure I'm doing it right! Then when reading it at say WOT high power and boost the split would be in the low 30's to low 40's?

I was thinking of this from a previous post!
Split values commonly used:
High power, high load and boost can be low 30s to low 40s.
Moderate power and boost , low to upper 40s.
Low load low boost (cruise) mid 50s to upper 60s.
Very low load and boost 70-85 area.

When using the calc reverse sheet where exactly do you put the duration and pressure
from udc? Just want to be sure I'm doing it right! Then when reading it at say WOT high power and boost the split would be in the low 30's to low 40's?

It uses your current duration and pressure and tells you what the split would be at a certain timing number.

I have not been doing that on my 03.
Low load (ex. Crusing @ 70 MPH 20% load) Splits will be above 100
Spool area ( 35%-65% load) Splits will below 15 and then ramp up.
WOT above 70% load my splits are at or close to 50.

It uses your current duration and pressure and tells you what the split would be at a certain timing number.

It seems in the calc area it's a guessing game? Everybody would use the same basic numbers. What I would like to know is if the splits in the "commonly used" next post are a good way to go "understand"?
I put in my info and pasted my timing adjusted to the desired splits Commonly used as stated above 3 posts.
See what you think of this tune and if it's way off or dangerous or just wrong please let me know asap! I appreciate your time!

Attachments

• SSR UDC settings #46D 9-19-2013_sample.zip
    8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Well the splits will not be exact. 03's Don't like as much timing especially in the spool area but above 2400-2600 RPM above 70% load 50/50 is working on mine with no smoke. That could be because my tq table is maxed at 72. I have not played with UDC yet on a 06 but I have been playing with efi on 06. He has twin so spool is alot easier then your 64.
The comments below are just suggestions with out seeing your calc its a challenge. To me your cruise area 1600-2000 RPM below 25% load should have more timing. I think 8 degrees is doable in the 06's stock is 8.9. Since your running a 64 my guess would be you would need less timing below 2000 RPM in the 35%-62% area for better spool.
Now because your tq table is so high above 65% load you probably get smokey so your splits need to lower to clean up the smoke like have been running. You really need to have John and Randy chime in since they both are the experts especially on that yr. My guess is if you dropped you tq down in the 70's you could have your splits higher with out smoke.
That is what I did for 3 hrs yesterday was raising my tq table and drooping timing to clean up smoke. To see which way is better. Higher timing/lower tq vs lower timing /higher tq. I think there is a balance so right now I have the most aggressive tq table I have had but I had to drop my timing down below 2000 rpm in the spool and higher load area's to achieve that. My splits are still close to 50/50 above 2400 rpm @ 80% load and up.. Maybe its the 03's but I can not run even close to 100% tq with out getting smoke especially if I am lugging the engine. (I.E. 1500 RPM @ 65%-77% load, 54 mph) Right after I'm am in O.D and locked up.

Here is what my tq table looks like. I like to have a touchy pedal so my is more aggressive in the lower columns. I can go higher in the 50-70% area but I am really trying to keep this program as clean as possible.

Attachments

• tq_tbl_09-20.jpg
    tq_tbl_09-20.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The timing splits are based on modifications, use, year truck, trans, injectors, etc, etc....

They are all going to follow a similar flow, but not going to be exact.

The timing splits are based on modifications, use, year truck, trans, injectors, etc, etc....

They are all going to follow a similar flow, but not going to be exact.

First off thanks CJ for the post!
If splits are based on mods Do you have any kind of reference on what would work for what? That would be a great tool! I also want to say thanks for your time in this calculator it really is awesome!
I think mads should incorporate it in their help section it's an valuable tool!
You are one smart dedicated enthusiast my hats off to you!!:bow::bow: